Mar 04, 2005, 04:52 PM
Flying What?!?

Free simple and accurate TREX Pitch Meter

Instructions:

1 - Print out both templates, make sure to print full size.
2 - Cut triangle (part a) out and cut out the blade part.
3 - Do not cut any of part b, just fold along lines along bottom then top then sides, tape to surface.
4 - Place TREX behind this squarish template and align flybar square with top of part b template. slide triangle part onto blade. use anything square to adjust triangle piece so the line running down is perfectly vertical... that is zero "0" degrees, now slide TREX into "position" so that triangle piece is lined up with "0" on the taped piece... adjust....
Last edited by fnnwizard; Mar 06, 2005 at 11:20 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 04, 2005, 05:45 PM
Cool, Thanks!

I was going to order a pitch gauge this weekend, but let me try yours first.
Mar 04, 2005, 09:40 PM
2 MANY TOYS :-)
Thanks for sharing the freebee.
Mar 04, 2005, 10:00 PM
Should this work with any other heli or just the trex
Mar 04, 2005, 10:14 PM
Flying What?!?
This will work the best with TREX as it was custom for the blades, but it should be good for others as long as you keep the pivot point on the triangular line. And make sure the flybar is parallel to the top square piece...
Mar 04, 2005, 10:26 PM
Flying What?!?
I just tested this against my Robart Helio Pitch Meter, believe me this should be every bit as accurate if not more due to the fact it is way easier to use and no weight... the robart meter is very clumsy and heavy for the smaller helis.
Mar 04, 2005, 10:49 PM

hmmmm

i really like your idea as it gives a very good reference to keep the flybar exactly parallel to a flat surface that your heli and gauge rest on... using the CF pitch gauge i've got works good, but i'm always staring and re-staring at the flybar to be sure its parellel, and never quite certain of it...

good idea.
Mar 06, 2005, 02:55 PM
-.-.
Last edited by ROT8; Apr 19, 2005 at 07:28 AM.
Mar 06, 2005, 11:19 PM
Flying What?!?
Those are the updated templates, I did change the triangular part. The vertical line is now at the pivot point of the rotor blades so it doesn't drop lower when you move it, though it doesn't change the reading of the deflection whatsoever. just easier to use.
Apr 19, 2005, 05:04 AM
Hey guys, will I need to modify this to work with the zoom 400? i.e. is the height of the two helis the same?
Apr 19, 2005, 08:13 AM
Day by day...
This is a great idea, and could certainly be carried further. The length of the triangle provides a much more accurate reading.

I'd love to see one of two things, and maybe you could wrap your brain around these ideas:

1. Something that actually hung on the flybar (equivalent to your lower piece of paper) so that it would indeed work for most any micro heli. Make this thing out of coroplast or foamboard and this thing is a winner.

2. I read a while back that you can measure pitch by folding the blades back and measuring the deflection between the blades and the flybar. With the length of the blades, this concept should also offer quite accurate readings. Someone just needs to do the math and set a measurement distance.

Wow, I just can't get over how simplistic and functional your idea is. Thanks for sharing!
Apr 19, 2005, 08:49 AM
With regards to the formula, it is pitch = arcsin ((gap / 2) / blade_length)
Where the gap is the distance between the tip of the two blades when they are turned 90* and parallel to each other on the blade grips and the length is the distance from tip to mounting hole.

i.e.

from this:

============ o ============

to this:
============
o
============

Seeing as how I don't have a proper micro pitch gauge, this method works better than the stock cardboard pitch gauge.

I've worked it out that for a length of 276mm:
67.27187756 mm gap will give you 7deg and
28.88944785 mm gap will give you 3 deg of pitch.

I printed out strips of paper with the exact measurements and tape them on the end of the top blade and make sure the gap is just right.

But it's a bit tedious and I'm keen to try out this pitch gauge.

I just need to know if I need to do anything to get this to work with the zoom 400? Is it just the pivot point of the blade that makes a difference or does the height of where the triangular piece is over the bottom square piece make a difference as well?
May 29, 2005, 07:49 PM
Thank you!!! this certainly helped me out allot setting up my shogun.
Sep 06, 2005, 11:05 AM
Bumped as this is a cool thing to do
Dec 23, 2005, 10:22 PM
can I scale this on a print out and use it for setting the pitch on a hirobo XRB sr??

Quick Reply