Thread Tools
Nov 14, 2019, 08:22 PM
San Antonio TX.
sensei's Avatar
Get the Real Flight sim and a DX-8 Transmitter, practice as much as you can all winter. In the spring get the Apprentice 15 E, and get lessons from a qualified instructor, by that time you will know who that is.

Bob
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Nov 14, 2019, 09:46 PM
Registered User
Thread OP
Thanks for the input guys..
Nov 16, 2019, 10:10 AM
Registered User
Thread OP
I saw this Hobbyzone Sports cub s rtf for about $51. Looks like a good practice plane. Pull the trigger?
Nov 16, 2019, 10:22 AM
Registered User
JohnFM's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryV6
I saw this Hobbyzone Sports cub s rtf for about $51. Looks like a good practice plane. Pull the trigger?
Kind of a fun little inexpensive trainer if you have a smaller area to fly in and NO WIND.
Nov 16, 2019, 02:42 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
balsa or carbon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryV6
I saw this Hobbyzone Sports cub s rtf for about $51. Looks like a good practice plane. Pull the trigger?
Notice that the ad says "FOR PARTS" .

You can get it brand new for $130 RTF ( with toy transmitter ) :
https://www.horizonhobby.com/sport-c...nology-hbz4400
Or if you already have a Spektrum computer transmitter ( DX6e and above ) , you can get the SCS BNF :
https://www.horizonhobby.com/HBZ4480...QaAldSEALw_wcB

Another very good RTF plane you can get is the Champ , many people have taught themselves to fly RC with a Champ :
https://www.horizonhobby.com/champ-rtf-hbz4900
The Champ is super simple ( less things on it that can fail ) and reliable , and it will bind to a Spektrum computer transmitter if you get one in the future .
If you get it from Horizon Hobby , buy a few extra batteries to qualify for free shipping .
Nov 16, 2019, 02:56 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
balsa or carbon's Avatar
For $52 ( including shipping ) you can get this RTF plane :
https://usa.banggood.com/WLtoys-F949..._warehouse=USA
It also includes a toy transmitter , but it will bind to computer transmitters with the GFSK or AFHDS protocol .... such as FlySky , Turnigy .
Nov 16, 2019, 04:04 PM
Registered User
Thread OP
Ha! Parts... totally missed that. After spending some time looking up planes at this price point, then looking up reviews, I saw this with Safe and the low price and almost lost it.

I watched some reviews on the champ with people who had never Flown a plane before, and after many crashes, it still seemed in one piece. I figure to fly and crash a cheaper plane then move up. I thought the club guys probably wonít be out as much in cold weather, so iíd spend some time on my own. I have limited open spaces, so the champ would suit for this too. I found it available for $89 with an extra battery. (I had read that it had been discontinued- but thatís no problem. ). You are right, itís a toy, but I can afford to break it. I will read the ad more closely before purchase. Grin

Thanks
Nov 16, 2019, 04:09 PM
Registered User
JohnFM's Avatar
yeah, I missed that part about it being just for parts too.
Nov 16, 2019, 04:17 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
balsa or carbon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryV6
Ha! Parts... totally missed that. After spending some time looking up planes at this price point, then looking up reviews, I saw this with Safe and the low price and almost lost it.

I watched some reviews on the champ with people who had never Flown a plane before, and after many crashes, it still seemed in one piece. I figure to fly and crash a cheaper plane then move up. I thought the club guys probably wonít be out as much in cold weather, so iíd spend some time on my own. I have limited open spaces, so the champ would suit for this too. I found it available for $89 with an extra battery. (I had read that it had been discontinued- but thatís no problem. ). You are right, itís a toy, but I can afford to break it. I will read the ad more closely before purchase. Grin

Thanks
The original $89 yellow Champ has been around a long time and has never been discontinued . There is another Champ ( white with S+ ) that has been discontinued , probably because the GPS it has in it would cause a fly-away if the GPS malfunctioned during flight .

Let us know how it turns out for you if you get an original Champ !
Nov 16, 2019, 04:37 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
balsa or carbon's Avatar
BTW : if you will be flying in cold weather , be aware that fully charged 1S batteries will not work if they are allowed to get cold . Find a way to keep them at close to room temperature until used for flight .
Nov 16, 2019, 05:34 PM
Sure, I can fly after sunset!?
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon
BTW : if you will be flying in cold weather , be aware that fully charged 1S batteries will not work if they are allowed to get cold . Find a way to keep them at close to room temperature until used for flight .
Iíve had very poor results flying 1S planes in below zero weather. They quickly lose their power. This doesnít seem to be a problem with 3S planes that Iíve flown on 15 degree days.
Nov 16, 2019, 05:37 PM
Sure, I can fly after sunset!?
The DUET is a dirt cheap great flying twin motor plane. I own over 30 planes but still have tons of fun with this one. It runs off standard 1S batteries and has its own proprietary transmitter.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/HBZ5300...saAg-PEALw_wcB
Nov 16, 2019, 06:02 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
balsa or carbon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mybad
Iíve had very poor results flying 1S planes in below zero weather. They quickly lose their power. This doesnít seem to be a problem with 3S planes that Iíve flown on 15 degree days.
Because of their small size , the tiny 1S batteries quickly lose warmth from their core . Larger batteries don't lose warmth as quickly .
Nov 19, 2019, 12:08 PM
Registered User
Thread OP
Commentary:

I think learning on any subject is a process that can be difficult for some. They want someone to just point them at an item and they will buy it.

What kind of computer to buy?
What car, phone, fridge or TV?

It takes some time and digging to learn about these items. People get annoyed when they hear the same question over and over. Some of the threads here are 20-30 pages long. The questions have been asked and answered here. You just have to dig a little. I have to say that my only problem is with the involved technical issues. The answers for Transmitters or batteries and chargers can't be most confusing.

I got the interest and like many, you start shopping right away without the complete knowledge needed. If I had purchased all of the planes I've seen that caught my eye, my spare room would be full and I'd have a large credit card bill. One of the guys in the club said to just wait a while and get some suggestions from the group. I don't say that I don't get fired up though. Thats how I ended up getting a Venom Pro duo which doesn't charge anything I currently own. I could have bought less of a charger for the future, as I don't intend on getting 10-20 planes. "Famous last words"..
During this last Sunday while watching a football game, I looked up most of the beginner planes mentioned in this thread, pros and cons and where to buy at the lowest price. Doing that takes you to other links of planes that look good also. I saw a VOLANTEX V761-4

https://www.ebay.com/i/233346988535?...BoCPLgQAvD_BwE

That looked interesting. I saw a thread here somewhere about it - looks like a recently released model. The problem is that many times you read the reviews and customer reactions and you will find people saying, "oh, I used it once and crashed right away or it would not stay bound. To tell the truth, I have seen little bad reaction to the Champ. I know these are really all toys, but I've managed to steer myself away from the big boys for a while. I've had good advice to make sure to buy a good transmitter first, then the plane, instead of a RTF. We will see. As you can see, I've gotten over the first hot flash of this hobby and am trying to be practical...

(Off of soapbox now)

But, while I am on the subject:

What kind of computer to buy?
What car, phone, fridge or TV? grin....
Nov 19, 2019, 01:28 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
balsa or carbon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryV6
To tell the truth, I have seen little bad reaction to the Champ. I know these are really all toys, but I've managed to steer myself away from the big boys for a while.
So does that mean you are getting a Champ ?


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Just starting out Dwight1833 Beginner Multirotor Drones 1 Apr 19, 2019 10:15 AM
Help! Quad flips out when punching (this just started occuring) ssbelmont Multirotor Drone Electronics 0 Jun 21, 2016 01:54 PM
If you were just starting out, which batteries? mad mike Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 9 Apr 27, 2003 12:19 PM
Just starting out with electric Nuker Parkflyers 20 Mar 14, 2003 09:47 AM