Oct 08, 2019, 02:12 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Anybody tried Nomaflex?

I work in the supply side of construction and we have this fairly new type stuff that comes in 1/2 and 3/4Ē sheets.

Concrete guys call it foam but itís not. Itís flexible and you can squeeze it between your fingers and itís really light. I took a couple pictures of a sample:
to remove ads between posts
Oct 08, 2019, 02:31 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
Nomaflex is a closed cell polypropylene foam that can be used in residential, commercial, civil, municipal and industrial applications. It will not absorb water and extends the service life of concrete by acting as an insulator to contraction and expansion joints.

Is it basically EPP ?

Oct 08, 2019, 02:50 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray
Nomaflex is a closed cell polypropylene foam that can be used in residential, commercial, civil, municipal and industrial applications. It will not absorb water and extends the service life of concrete by acting as an insulator to contraction and expansion joints.

Is it basically EPP ?

I think itís tougher than that. Concrete guys use it when they pour sidewalks. We mainly sell it in 4-6Ēx5í sheets. Itís only about $5 a sheet.
Oct 09, 2019, 05:08 AM
Foamy and Glider fanatic
How much does it weigh per sq/ft?
Oct 09, 2019, 12:10 PM
Build, crash...repeat

Nomaflex

here is the URL link to the data sheet
https://www.nomaco.com/wp-content/up...0219_lores.pdf

It comes in 3/8, 1/2, and 3/4 inch thick sheets 5 or 10 feet long and 4 ft wide

Interesting, I'll have to see if anyone carries it and see what it's like
Oct 09, 2019, 12:19 PM
Greediest Suer
That looks like the same stuff we used for expansion joints in large stucco walls. I made a few chuck gliders with scraps, but they didn't last long. On a hot day, that stuff would gradually conform to the shape of whatever it was sitting on.
Oct 09, 2019, 12:57 PM
Build, crash...repeat
it's made and used as a filler for concrete expansion joints, so that sounds like it's made to conform and deform in order to fill in gaps, not provide support. My guess is that it would behave similar to EPP and if used for RC models would need stiffeners. Just a guess, I have not seen it yet.
Oct 09, 2019, 03:42 PM
Greediest Suer
I can't possibly agree with you any more.
Oct 10, 2019, 03:52 PM
Retired CAD guy
And what about the finish.

ewww ! just zoom in on the surface shown on the 1st two pix ... YUKy schmuky foo

And I'll wager that it is dense aka HEAVY, comparatively speaking.

Rocks don't beak when they land hard , but , they don't fly well either.

sorry for the negative, but, somebody has to say it.
Oct 10, 2019, 05:28 PM
Build, crash...repeat
Well I would just say that ya donít know until ya try it, so somebody buy a sheet for 5 bucks and build a bird and give us a report. They used to think the earth was flat too.
Oct 11, 2019, 02:28 PM
Foamy and Glider fanatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay
ewww ! ... Yuky schmuky foo

This thread was worth the read just for that line above!! LOL!!!

Quick Reply