Oct 09, 2019, 08:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty105
My guess they were using DJI's Aeroscope to detect DJI drones. DJI drones basically have a fingerprint ID stamp now, and Aeroscope can decode GPS data in the stream, easy to find owner/pilot.

Now if they were tracking 2.4 SS signals, how do you differentiate RC aircraft, RC boats, RC cars, etc....
Tracking 2.4 on its own is worthless since lots of devices use it. You need to decode the messages. I don't know the OTA format of the various common protocols, but I wouldn't be surprised if e.g. Spektrum Air is distinguishable from Spektrum Surface.

However, locating a transmitter which doesn't emit location info would be a problem. Radio location is much more expensive than just receiving signals. Aeroscope appears to be a single unit, and is thus incapable of doing so; you need at least two for triangulation and three for ranging.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 09, 2019, 09:11 PM
BFMAC Founding Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler
Tracking 2.4 on its own is worthless since lots of devices use it. You need to decode the messages. I don't know the OTA format of the various common protocols, but I wouldn't be surprised if e.g. Spektrum Air is distinguishable from Spektrum Surface.

However, locating a transmitter which doesn't emit location info would be a problem. Radio location is much more expensive than just receiving signals. Aeroscope appears to be a single unit, and is thus incapable of doing so; you need at least two for triangulation and three for ranging.
No it isn't. See the previously posted pointer provided to an article in this thread in which they (Aerial Armor) describe what they deployed at subject event.
Last edited by abel pranger; Oct 09, 2019 at 10:26 PM. Reason: to be explit as to whom 'they' are
Oct 10, 2019, 04:14 AM
Aerial Armor found drones location (not pilot ) from the GPS data sent in downlink stream, not using triangulation methods.
Oct 10, 2019, 07:06 AM
Multirotors are models too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by renatoa
Aerial Armor found drones location (not pilot ) from the GPS data sent in downlink stream, not using triangulation methods.
I would not be surprised if future (maybe current) DJI controllers have GPS data of the location of he control unit. AND a simple firmware 'upgrade' which DJI is famous for, could add "Home location" to the data stream. Home would be the takeoff position of the drone, where you will likely find the pilot of the drone.
Oct 10, 2019, 07:38 AM
One more reason to not use DJI...

Someone could takeoff then leave the place, move to other location, while drone is in follow me mode
Btw, how is RTH logic performing in this case, return to initial takeoff point, or to actual/last known pilot position ?
Last edited by renatoa; Oct 10, 2019 at 09:44 AM. Reason: rewording
Oct 10, 2019, 09:16 AM
Multirotors are models too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by renatoa
One more reason to not use DJI...

Someone could takeoff then leave the place doing a follow me to other location
Btw, how is RTH logic perform in this case, return to initial takeoff point or actual pilot position ?
I think it varies by model, some can 'follow' and RTH back to initial 'home' or RTH back to you.....
Last edited by Rusty105; Oct 10, 2019 at 09:47 AM.
Oct 18, 2019, 03:34 PM
This the one ?

https://www.wimp.com/drone-captures-...loon-festival/
Oct 18, 2019, 07:33 PM
I know that someone has an official permit to fly a drone.

Quick Reply