Oct 08, 2019, 10:54 AM
Thread OP
Build Log

Earl Stahl - P-51D Mustang - 44"

Hello all,

I'm just starting to build a Earl Stahl P-51D enlarged to 44" (113cm) or 1:10 scale and certainly converted to electric and R/C.

I'm planning on installing a retractable landing gear (main gear only), which is a first to me. Apart from that it will be four channel control.

I already did a lot of sketching to adapt the wing structure to the retracts. But to get into the build I started with the fuselage, laminating the keels and cutting the formers.

Best regards
Ronald
to remove ads between posts
Oct 08, 2019, 12:10 PM
Tip: Mount retracts so that the wheel axles are in line with wing leading edge to help avoid tip-overs. Model will do best taking off and landing on parking lot or hard smooth dirt. Grass requires finesse. Watch videos about Tower Hobbies P-51's, I have Miss America version. You can order optional retract gear leg covers that clip onto gear legs.

Here's a link for HK retracts that fit the Tower P-51's.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/servoles...ount-2pcs.html
Oct 08, 2019, 12:10 PM
Big gov never Works
Hi Ronald, I like enlarging Earl's designs. I did his Apache and the Hurricane. One thing I like about his designs, was his selection of airfoils. They work well for RC conversions. I would suggest, I found all to need a more forward CG, other than the FF location.

Good luck, hope it works well!

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...Apache-47-Fuse

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...tahl-Hurricane

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...tahl-Hurricane

Fuzz
Oct 08, 2019, 01:57 PM
Thread OP
Hi E-Challenged,

thanks for the tip. I will try to implement that. The retracts you linked to are actually the ones I'm using.

Hi Fuzz,

I stumbled across your builds while researching. Very nice and inspiring!
I will actually use a Selig S8036 airfoil instead of the one on the plan. The S8036 is much fatter and helps to accommodate the retractable gear. It was also developed specifically for scale war birds. So what should go wrong?

Ronald
Oct 08, 2019, 04:12 PM
Thread OP
Some more keels laminated, cutouts in the formers added...
Oct 08, 2019, 05:07 PM
Still the "Pro"-crastinator...
Ronald,

Stahl is one of my favourite designers. I'll be following your build with great interest.

Steve
Oct 09, 2019, 06:41 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Stick'n'tissue warbirds - I luv 'em!!!
Oct 09, 2019, 04:05 PM
Thread OP
It's nice to see the interest in the build.

Today I laminated the first side keel, member, longeron, or whatever you call it . And I cut the slots for the stringers in former B using a small tool made from balsa scraps.

I think I will use former B as a starting point for the stringers and go from there to find the best position on the other formers.
Oct 09, 2019, 06:22 PM
Good to see scratch builds from old plans. Your section (modified a bit as needed) is what I used for a good portion of the inner wing on my Victor build: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...85&postcount=8
The thickness should help if using 90 degree retracts, to cope with the dihedral angle and not have the wheels want to go through the top surface of the wing when retracted.
Oct 09, 2019, 09:47 PM
Still the "Pro"-crastinator...
Hi Ronald,

At the risk of telling you how to suck eggs, in addition to former B, I'd pick one of the rearmost formers and notch it as well, and then mark the notch positions for the stringers on the other formers based on where a stringer lies when it's in the notches on former B and the rear one. Stahl's stringer notches are usually where they should be, but it won't hurt to double check.

Steve
Oct 12, 2019, 09:41 AM
Thread OP
Any advice is welcome! But I won't necessarily act accordingly

In the meantime I cut out all the formers and glued up the keels and formers. I'm starting to worry if all will be straight in the end. At the moment it wouldn't sit flat on the board without weights.
Oct 12, 2019, 03:04 PM
Thread OP
Et voila...
Oct 12, 2019, 03:40 PM
Big gov never Works
This is always the critical stage for me, Ronald.

Fuzz
Oct 13, 2019, 06:10 AM
Thread OP
Yes, that's true.

I made up a simple jig to get a better judgement of 'straight or not'. One problematic area was the wing mount and cockpit.

The frame was a bit twisted there because the top and bottom keels are interrupted. To stiffen that up I put a top plate onto the wing mount rails while on the jig.

I also added the first four stringers. Looking good so far
Oct 14, 2019, 07:39 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald L
I'm starting to worry if all will be straight in the end. At the moment it wouldn't sit flat on the board without weights.
Now you have the wing seat and the opposite main stringer in, is it holding straight?

To combat this effect, on my short-lived but much lamented P39, I laminated the 'master stringer', and then added the rest one at a time on opposing sides whilst clamping the fus in a jig

Quick Reply