Oct 08, 2019, 06:32 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Printed Autogyro

Found this a few years ago when first got a 3D printer but only printed one blade and never finished the model.
https://www.youmagine.com/designs/gyroprint

Weather is too bad for flying and decided to have a go at printing it.

A few bits and measurements are missing so I have had to guesstimate some of the parts.
Joe

Gyroprint (0 min 56 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Oct 09, 2019, 06:10 AM
Thread OP
Printed a few extra parts to complete the model.

Used a carbon tail boom from an old model that had a tail bracket already fitted

Joined the blades and covered in packing tape.

Waiting for ball races for the head.
Joe
Oct 11, 2019, 11:41 AM
Thread OP
Got the motor and servos fitted.

Made the tail from scrap depron with carbon edge to protect the leading edge.
Oct 11, 2019, 06:34 PM
Nice little project there Joe.
think your a bit like me ....always looking................
Chris...
Oct 12, 2019, 05:28 AM
Thread OP
Chris got to keep the grey matter working

I have a couple more projects on the go that you will like

Got the bearings and fitted them.

The head is very unusual and I have never seen this design before,well done Turbi.

I did alter a couple of things for my own way of doing things.

Fitted a rubber O ring between the mast and the cyclic arm, also curved the arm a little where the screw and washer slides.
Joe

rotor head (0 min 41 sec)
Oct 12, 2019, 06:25 PM
Yea..That head looks interesting...
Chris...
Oct 13, 2019, 12:56 PM
Thread OP
Flew it yesterday in strong winds and it survived.

Added dowthrust and had a flight today.

My old batteries were a problem but it flew OK
Joe

GOOD DAY TO TEST AND FLY WITH THE GEESE (4 min 6 sec)
Oct 13, 2019, 05:53 PM
Looks as if those parts could be of use .How do you think that the blades will stand up...and I did like the "V"formation up high.
Chris...
Oct 14, 2019, 02:19 AM
Thread OP
Chris I enjoyed making the extra parts on the computer it certainly got the grey matter going.

So far the blades have taken a couple of good whacks and are still in one piece,the parts that have broken were the hinge but I have printed the new ones with a more flexible filament and they are working fine.

The problem I have is im so use to using my rudder and this one would be nicer to fly if a rudder was fitted, I will fit one and see if it helps.

I never saw the geese until I watched the video, sign of winter on its way.
Joe
Oct 14, 2019, 04:13 AM
There is no doubt...we need lots of rudder to tame these beasts.
Chris...
Jan 28, 2020, 08:54 PM

Inspired

Thanks to Joe and Turbi for answering my emails as best you could. I am inspired to take this and run with it. I enjoy flying stuff like my rc kites and moogalla, but this has caught my attention as well. For anyone who wants it, I have done up a stl file for the t-connector that could be used with this model. It has a couple spaces for the servoes that run the head and a space on the bottom for a servo to be used for the tail. Thanks for all who contribute to the hobbie and make life more interesting by sharing your wisdom and experience. I am working on the motor/battery mount for the front next, as well as a built up printable tail section for those , who like me, have limited building ability because of physical restrictions or just plain lack of talent getting our hands to do what our mind is trying to instruct them on. Happy flying everyone, and enjoy the hobbie while we can.
Jan 29, 2020, 10:47 AM
Thread OP
Bob good job on the mast and servo mount.

Looks a lot lighter than mine
Joe
Jan 29, 2020, 08:36 PM

Thank you and here is some more

Thank you so much for the kind words. After seeing all you have done for the hobbie and the creations you have brought to life, i am very honoured. I am including some more parts for anyone who wants to give it a try or even help critique what may need to be done. Hope you all enjoy it.

P.S. Joe
Do these numbers seem right to you. Mast height of 300mm(a foot for our US friends) and boom length of total 640mm (25 1/2" roughly for our US friends)
Jan 30, 2020, 03:50 AM
Thread OP
Bob just following in the footsteps of other Autogyro enthusiasts.

The numbers look and sound about right, I just eyeballed mine.

No longer have the model so unable to get any measurements.

Might be tempted to print another using your stl files
Joe
Jan 30, 2020, 08:08 PM

have at her

No probelm there Joe. Your input on the parts would be invaluable. I am still working on the tail section piece but will probably get time on the weekend to finish it up. I am also going to see if I can piece together the rotors so they can be printed corner to corner on my Ender 3. Less chance of them coming apart if they are one piece, and the layers will lay down a better pattern to keep then truer.... i hope.

Quick Reply