Oct 08, 2019, 12:49 AM
Where's the lift?
Thread OP
Cool

My new Lanzo Record Breaker-- great flyer!

Hi, guys,

I got this nicely built Record Breaker thrown at me, by an old guy who was getting out of the game, and all I had to do was to paint the fuselage red and install the power system and radio. It is the original 96" version. It flies on a Turnigy C4360-500, with a 4s 2200mah lipo and a Hitec 60a ESC, on a wood 16x8 prop, churns out 42 amps and 645 watts. AUW is just under 6lbs. Plenty of go for this bird! It thermals as good as any glider I own, too. I already have several long thermal flights on it in just the past couple of weeks. Fun ship!

Anyone able to identify the covering material? Looks like black silk (is there such a thing?). It might be a synthetic weave, but the weave is fine (finer than Koverall), and not painted. It would have to have been dyed with black analine dye or something. Looks to be clear doped, probably with nitrate. Any ideas what it might be?

Here's a "short hop" vid for the record:
IMG 1260 (0 min 46 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Oct 08, 2019, 02:04 AM
My hangar is,... "almost" full
Great looking model, graceful flyer. Nice spot landing. The red and black looks good.
Oct 08, 2019, 02:28 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
Very nice plane. You were very lucky!
Just to answer your question. Yes, black silk does exist (I have some). During the period fifties to seventies (at least), I think "jap silk" existed in all the standard "jap tissue" colours.
Oct 08, 2019, 03:59 AM
Esaki silk is still available from Mike Woodhouse at www.freeflightsupplies.co.uk here in the UK.

ESAKI SILK
900mm (36”) x 900mm (36”) (12 gms per sq. metre) Lightweight now discontinued
Cub yellow, Sky blue, Copper, Green, Lemon yellow. £18.00 per pack plus post.
900mm (36”) x 900mm (36”) (18 gms per sq. metre) Heavyweight
Red, Cub Yellow, Lemon Yellow, Royal Blue, Sky blue, Orange Gold, White, Black, Green, Copper, Rose Pink, Silver £18.00 per pack plus post. .

Dave.
Oct 08, 2019, 07:48 PM
Thermals, Tom
pity no one has larger than 36"
Latest blog entry: Steak and Old Timers
Oct 08, 2019, 11:39 PM
Where's the lift?
Thread OP
That's exactly what I was thinking...!
Oct 09, 2019, 03:14 AM
What a graceful flying model
Oct 09, 2019, 03:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanNX211
pity no one has larger than 36"
Tom, you need to look outside the model trade. I've always bought silk and nylon from "material" shops (now available on the Web of course). Usually 1 meter wide and you can buy it by the mile.
This is the obvious solution for covering bigger models.
It speeds up the process as well. This Vic Smeed "Electra" wing was covered in less than one hour, including the photographs. The whole process wouldn't have been possible using "modelling size" material.
I think it's neater too. Using normal modelling material, you'd have several small panels whereas, on this wing, the only longitudinal "join" is along the aerodynamic trailing edge (1 mm deep) and is totally invisible, plus there is a little overlap around the tips of course.
And the bigger the model, the easier it is to cover.
The only downside is that you have to look around to find fairly "traditional" modelling colors, and not the trendy, flashy stuff...
Oct 09, 2019, 09:49 AM
Thermals, Tom
Many modelers used to cover the underside of their models with black silk in an attempt to improve visibility. This is my extended wing A Westerner. Unfortunately, it blends in well with Midwest overcast.
White was added for contrast and it didn’t help.

A single brushed coat of this solved the issue. No light is getting through now. Not even a laser.

https://www.culturehustleusa.com/pro...waAoz5EALw_wcB
Latest blog entry: Steak and Old Timers
Oct 11, 2019, 11:56 PM
Where's the lift?
Thread OP
I've had a couple of locals chime in with their opinion that I've got black silk on my RB. And I do gotta say it looks a lot like Tom's Westerner wing, so I'm going with that.

So, can I expect that the silk will go brittle on me in a few years? Or are you guys getting some years out of the stuff? I've never used it myself.
Oct 12, 2019, 02:31 AM
Assuming the wing was originally doped using normal nitrocellulose dope, the brittleness can be "alleviated" by giving another coat of well thinned nitrate dope, containing a very small percentage of castor oil, say one teaspoonful of castor for about half a pint of dope, well mixed obviously.
IMO, it's the "ageing" dope that makes the silk/dope combination go brittle, so the obvious action is to "renew" the dope.
Oct 12, 2019, 10:42 AM
B for Bruce
Over time the silk fibers themselves get weak from the sun. A flying buddy has a lot of older models that he loved to fly a lot back when we were able to fly on Hart's Lake Prarie. The sun and UV take their toll for sure. It's not the dope but the fibers that get weak. So much so that we had to be super careful in how we handled the model as the old silk on the wing would literally not withstand picking up the wing's own weight if we didn't have our fingers on a rib or spar.

More than one of his older models was on it's second covering job due to this aging. So in time you'll likely find the same thing happening. And it wasn't so much brittle as it was just plain weak. The old silk job was not even as strong as a light tissue job at that point. I saw it with a few of his models in that condition.

I even put my share of holes in his models due to this during packing up my truck when we travelled to the meets together. I was shocked at how little it took to punch a hole by that time. I'd be all apologetic but he understood and had put a few of his own fingers through the old covering jobs too.

Quick Reply