Oct 09, 2019, 12:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man
That brings up the question - how accurately can the FAA determine your height. If they are going to have compliance they will have to tell us we are too high and by how much.

All they have to do is target a flying site, send an undercover employee to said site, have him/her witness and some how measure modelers flying heights and report back his/her findings.
Also, an official from a close by airport can visit such site and make his/her observation and it is a done deal "if" they really want to mess with that site.
Me thinks...
to remove ads between posts
Oct 09, 2019, 01:33 PM
A man with too many toys
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Ehab
All they have to do is target a flying site, send an undercover employee to said site, have him/her witness and some how measure modelers flying heights and report back his/her findings.
Also, an official from a close by airport can visit such site and make his/her observation and it is a done deal "if" they really want to mess with that site.
Me thinks...
Not an answer

If I can't figure out how high I am flying how are these spies doing to know. That was what I was asking. How can they tell if I am at 399' or 401'.

Oct 09, 2019, 01:57 PM
Someone from afar can figure out how high you are with nothing but a protractor. We used to do it all the time with model rockets as a kid. Tied a rock to a string and then the string to a protractor. Know about how far away from the pilot/launch you are and sight the angle to the plane/rocket.

height = distance_to_pilot * tan(angle_to_plane)
Oct 09, 2019, 02:19 PM
Thes are the FAA and airport workers, they must have devices to measure altitude as observers.
me thinks!
Last edited by Sam Ehab; Oct 09, 2019 at 04:15 PM.
Oct 09, 2019, 02:48 PM
Fill, Sand, Repeat...
Referencing post #21 with regard to the following...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Q: What are the recreational UAS altitude restrictions found in this FAA policy?

A: Recreational UAS users will only be permitted to fly up to 400 feet in controlled airspace. This altitude will vary depending upon the user's location. In uncontrolled airspace, recreational users will be permitted to fly up to 700 feet or 1,200 feet, depending upon the user's location. It is unclear at this time if these uncontrolled airspace altitudes will be permitted only at fixed flying site locations. Controlled and uncontrolled airspace locations can be found on the FAA's UAS Facility Map.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The LAW is crystal clear here with respect to Class G (Uncontrolled) airspace, in Section 44809 related to recreational operations of unmanned aircraft:

See Section 44809(a)6:

"(6) In Class G airspace, the aircraft is flown from the surface to NOT MORE THAN 400 FEET above ground level and complies with all airspace restrictions and prohibitions."

I have seen nothing that has been formalized as to waivers or exemptions for operations "up to 700 feet or 1,200 feet" in Glass G in the public record
Oct 09, 2019, 03:53 PM
A man with too many toys
Quote:
Originally Posted by E_Richard
This altitude will vary depending upon the user's location. In uncontrolled airspace, recreational users will be permitted to fly up to 700 feet or 1,200 feet, depending upon the user's location.
So for us that live out in the middle on nowhere there is no 400' limit. That's good news.
Just use this map https://faa.maps.arcgis.com/apps/web...06ebf6a06754ad

It's really confusing when the FAA makes up all these conflicting rules and keeps flip-flopping on this 400' thing

Oct 09, 2019, 04:04 PM
Thread OP
Andy, you have it nailed down. I don't know how to explain it, but I've noticed that during the last 15 years or so (since the first smartphone?), technology and information has been used more as a means for big companies, lobbyists, politicians, and $$$ sharks to further their interests than for the benefit of the masses, righteosness be damned. Democracy is becoming a joke, as more and more powerful entities and individuals manipulate the system. Not to mention smartphones and the internet have screwed gazillion industries and helped shift wealth to even a smaller % of greedy/rich individuals/entities. May God have mercy on our sons and grandsons.
Last edited by RC YEAGER; Oct 09, 2019 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Typo
Oct 09, 2019, 04:09 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
So for us that live out in the middle on nowhere there is no 400' limit. That's good news.
Just use this map https://faa.maps.arcgis.com/apps/web...06ebf6a06754ad

It's really confusing when the FAA makes up all these conflicting rules and keeps flip-flopping on this 400' thing

I have to gather you live in the middle of nowhere. Glad you consider that good news. I mean... as long as it doesn't affect you... hurrah!
Oct 09, 2019, 04:28 PM
A man with too many toys
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC YEAGER
I have to gather you live in the middle of nowhere. Glad you consider that good news. I mean... as long as it doesn't affect you... hurrah!
I do support the right for model RC airplane pilots to fly as high as they would like to as long as they do it safely and away from manned aircraft. Same way it has been done for the past 100 years.

Probably the majority if flying fields are outside controlled airspace. Just saying that it might be as bad as the AMA has told us. I expect that their home field is outside controlled airspace so the nationals will not be impacted.

The selfish drone pilots that just want to make a video and post it - see what I can do - is the main problems. These days many just think about self gratification and not the negative impact it has on others.

Last edited by RC Man; Oct 09, 2019 at 04:33 PM.
Oct 09, 2019, 04:41 PM
Quote:
Again, you're thinking logically. STOP THAT! Think like a rat!

They WANT it to be confusing. That way you might not fly.

But if you fly anyway, then they can get you for doing something that wasn't clear not to do.

Or for thinking that just because it wasn't excluded in one place doesn't mean that they imply it somewhere else.

They can always find something that you did or didn't do, that was outright contradicted by something somewhere else in their book of tricks.

They aren't flip-flopping. They don't want us flying because their masters don't want us flying. Simple as that.

Darned if you do, darned if you don't.

Andy
Oct 09, 2019, 04:43 PM
Fill, Sand, Repeat...
Quote:
I do support the right for model RC airplane pilots to fly as high as they would like to as long as they do it safely and away from manned aircraft. Same way it has been done for the past 100 years.

Probably the majority if flying fields are outside controlled airspace. Just saying that it might be as bad as the AMA has told us. I expect that their home field is outside controlled airspace so the nationals will not be impacted.

The selfish drone pilots that just want to make a video and post it - see what I can do - is the main problems. These days many just think about self gratification and not the negative impact it has on others.

No. The past 100 years are over! No flying above 400 feet PERIOD....no matter where you are (even in the boonies in "uncontrolled" airspace)! Read the law.

I don't know what AMA is saying with 700 1200 feet... Wake up people!
Oct 09, 2019, 04:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by E_Richard
No. The past 100 years are over! No flying above 400 feet PERIOD....no matter where you are (even in the boonies in "uncontrolled" airspace)! Read the law.

I don't know what AMA is saying with 700 1200 feet... Wake up people!
LOL, I went sailplane flying today. 8 launches of 200 meters. Two flights added altitude to the launch height. I'm home safe and sound.
Oct 09, 2019, 05:03 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz

They WANT it to be confusing....

Andy
The fact that they were telling the AMA one thing (allegedly, dont trust AMA either) and at the last moment said it was going down the other way, sorta validates your "rat thinking" theory. That leaves the AMA and its members with very little time to act
Oct 09, 2019, 06:06 PM
Here is a pod cast released today.
Some good stuf...

https://www.buzzsprout.com/587884/18...0-restrictions
Oct 09, 2019, 06:36 PM
A man with too many toys
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz

They WANT it to be confusing. That way you might not fly.

But if you fly anyway, then they can get you for doing something that wasn't clear not to do.

Or for thinking that just because it wasn't excluded in one place doesn't mean that they imply it somewhere else.

They can always find something that you did or didn't do, that was outright contradicted by something somewhere else in their book of tricks.

They aren't flip-flopping. They don't want us flying because their masters don't want us flying. Simple as that.

Darned if you do, darned if you don't.

Andy
What you are proposing is to totally give up in the FAA regulations or registration and go back to flying the way we did on 2000. I see that some have done that from the beginning. The tighter they try to control the RC hobby the greater the number that will revolt - just look at Hong Kong - it's human nature to want have freedom. The FAA should look at prohibition - when that was the law the number of that that consumed alcohol actually increased by a large amount. The RC hobby could go the same way. Guys like you would become bootleggers for making illegal RC software.

Will be interesting to see where we are in 10 or 20 years. We will probably have more regulations and be having these same discussions.

Anyway tomorrow morning is suppose to be good flying weather so will quit complaining and get my airplanes ready to go flying. Nice to be retired!

Quick Reply