Nov 16, 2019, 12:10 PM
2.1.9 Forever
Anyway, this is Braun's first year in the Senate so he's apparently not interested in making waves.
Quote:
In the meantime, should any legislation come to a vote on the Senate floor that would impact FAA regulations, I will keep your thoughts in mind.
Here's what he has introduced so far.
Last edited by Miami Mike; Nov 16, 2019 at 12:16 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 16, 2019, 01:49 PM
The Mr. Rogers of RC soaring
Thread OP
I donít really care what kind of waves he makes. I just care about the ability to fly above 400 feet and the emotional security of the fine people in the sailplane community. If he can help us with that then he is useful else Iíll keep pestering him.

Ryan
Latest blog entry: Supergee wing mount pylons
Nov 16, 2019, 01:53 PM
2.1.9 Forever
How does your other brother Daryl feel about that?
Nov 16, 2019, 02:26 PM
tic
tic
thunderscreech
I used to teach skiing in Vail when that show was popular.. I'd get a class and introduce myself, inevitably someone would yell out "where's your other brother Darrell".. I got so tired of this that I'd introduce myself and before anyone could speak, I'd say "if you don't like this class, that's my other brother Darrell over there teaching that class and you can join him if you want"
Nov 18, 2019, 12:09 PM
If any progress is going to be made with congress then we need to work those who are on the subcommittee that writes the bills. Attached provides list of who is on the committee. If anything is going to be accomplished with congress these are who we need to approach.

It will take more than letters. Some need to directly contact those on the committee. May need to campaign against any that will not support our hobby.

The list is at the end of the attachment.

https://transportation.house.gov/sub...116th-congress

Art
Nov 18, 2019, 12:34 PM
2.1.9 Forever
That could turn out to be valuable information! Wikipedia also has a list of members of the United States House Transportation Subcommittee on Aviation, with links to details about each of those Representatives.
Nov 18, 2019, 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
I'm wondering if either one of them voted for the law last year.
Remember that the vote was to fund FAA.

It was the last minute sneak in of the
"Let's destroy model aviation at the same time" that hurt us. I wish they'd vote on things based on their merit rather than a batch of things lumped together or added to something that no one would ever vote down.

Mike
Nov 18, 2019, 01:03 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Maybe we should try agreeing with the FAA and simply lobby for an exemption for model airplanes.

It's not throwing drones under the bus because as Lincoln pointed out, they usually don't fly above 400' anyway.
Nov 18, 2019, 03:39 PM
It would be interesting to know if any members of the committee are or have in some way been involved with model aviation.
Nov 18, 2019, 05:49 PM
Do we really think this is going to affect us? To me, it seems this is a way for the FAA to fine us if they have reason. As Long as we donít brag about flying at 2500 ft on you tube, and continue to fly safely, away from airports, we should be fine
Nov 18, 2019, 06:02 PM
The Mr. Rogers of RC soaring
Thread OP
We donít know at this point what the FAAís enforcement scheme would be. We do know that some people are getting worried and holding investments in the hobby or holding participation in the hobby. And some here have concerns what clubs/the AMA would do if there is a level of FAA heavy handedness.

Ryan
Latest blog entry: Supergee wing mount pylons
Nov 18, 2019, 06:13 PM
32.4316į N, 80.6698į W
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Merrill
As Long as we donít brag about flying at 2500 ft on you tube
Or here as some do. Why, is beyond my understanding.
Nov 18, 2019, 06:46 PM
Team Futaba
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwoebke
We donít know at this point what the FAAís enforcement scheme would be.
I see no reason why it would be much different than GA. That being 95% eactionary. Screw up, and get a chance to get cozy with an FAA inspector. But in general, fly safe, don't cause an accident/incident and you likely have little to be concerned with.

Clubs on the other hand may take a proactive approach and decide to police FAA rules with the thought it is be avoid a low possibility issue than try to deal with it later, no matter how low the potential might be.
Nov 18, 2019, 07:21 PM
Service Engine Soon
That cat is way out of the bag. But to understand that flying RC at higher altitudes is safer for everyone has not been understood.

WRAL CH5 flew a little Hughes 369 from the station home every day at 4 o'clock. Every day just feet off the trees same pattern we just new to stay out of the way at 4 so we would be on the next days news at 5.. There was only seconds to know exactly where he was because the trees where blocking our view.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo
Nov 18, 2019, 07:22 PM
tic
tic
thunderscreech
When GA inspectors start visiting local RC clubs, I'll be a little more concerned.

Quick Reply