Oct 07, 2019, 05:55 PM
The Mr. Rogers of RC soaring
Thread OP
Discussion

The 400 foot fight

The AMA sent out this email today requesting all members reach out to their elected representatives.

https://contentsharing.net/actions/e...R2nwBTkzTRYCco

Ryan
Latest blog entry: Supergee wing mount pylons
to remove ads between posts
Oct 07, 2019, 06:03 PM
Where is the lift?
Hoping it helps

Charlie
Oct 07, 2019, 06:23 PM
Dark Side of the Red Merle
Looks like we lost for now.
Darn Congress writing crappy laws.

Curtis
Oct 07, 2019, 06:24 PM
The FAA want MORE control over our skies? Wowee gee - what a shocker. Letter sent.
Oct 07, 2019, 06:25 PM
Balsa breaks better
Done.

Joe

Balsa Breaks Better
Woodies Forever
Oct 07, 2019, 06:30 PM
I asked 10 of my friends and family members to send the link out to 10 of their friends....and so on. The only way we will get any attention is to increase the numbers. The ~200k of AMA members is not enough to get any special consideration. Multiply that by a factor of 10...20...30 and maybe someone will listen.

Unfortunately, I doubt it, but it is worth the fight.

John
Oct 07, 2019, 06:44 PM
Has the FAA cited any particular reason for this ruling? One has to wonder if the commercial drone interests are pressing for an absolutely clear sky. If so what about those powered parachute enthusiasts? I'd sure like to see their enforcement scheme. A total 400' limit is like asking Olympic swimmers to use a pool 2' deep.
Oct 07, 2019, 07:01 PM
Of course it is, there was an article last week on my phone (news feed) talking about how they granted Amazon (I think) a waiver to fly over 400ft and beyond line of sight. This is all about big money looking to use that airspace. The FAA can grant waivers if they want to, they just don't want to with us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Deck
Has the FAA cited any particular reason for this ruling? One has to wonder if the commercial drone interests are pressing for an absolutely clear sky. If so what about those powered parachute enthusiasts? I'd sure like to see their enforcement scheme. A total 400' limit is like asking Olympic swimmers to use a pool 2' deep.
Oct 07, 2019, 07:05 PM
Balsa breaks better
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitzerj
I asked 10 of my friends and family members to send the link out to 10 of their friends....and so on. The only way we will get any attention is to increase the numbers. The ~200k of AMA members is not enough to get any special consideration. Multiply that by a factor of 10...20...30 and maybe someone will listen.

Unfortunately, I doubt it, but it is worth the fight.

John
I sent an email to 31 family members and friends, asked them if they would share with their friends and family, the more the merrier!!

Joe

Balsa Breaks Better
Woodies Forever
Oct 07, 2019, 07:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Deck
Jim, you think the FAA needs a reason? Lord, all the work that guys like TK et.al. Busted their behinds was basically just a stalling program till this day came. The money is speaking...

Marc
Oct 07, 2019, 07:34 PM
“We were stunned by this decision? This is our AMA leadership at work. 400 feet was the law as of May 17th and only now the AMA is concerned? Sadly the AMA is our only hope, and THAT is sad.

I would like to know if a SINGLE AMA flying site has been approved to even 1000 feet. I’m guessing zilch. I talked to Tyler Dobbs about 10 days ago and he said they are working on 2500 feet for Muncie. Uh huh.
Last edited by s2000; Oct 07, 2019 at 08:33 PM.
Oct 07, 2019, 08:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitzerj
The ~200k of AMA members is not enough to get any special consideration.

John
Problem is, of that 200k probably less than 10% will take the time or even care.
We needed 200k people raising hell well over a year ago. When the original variance was put in for recreational flyers (what was that, 336 or something) that should have been an ominous wake up call as to where this was all headed. But don't worry, AMA is involved, business as usual.

This is too little too late. That's what people have been saying on here for a year now. It's the law. Yet people kept on saying, "No, no, no. The AMA is working on this and until things are settled, it's not a done deal. Leadership says keep on business as usual."

Yet logical folks are scratching their heads saying, "What? Congress passed it and the President signed it into law, and the AMA is saying business as usual?" And yet on here people were ridiculed as claiming the sky was falling for saying we'd already lost.

Now the AMA is surprised. Anyone is surprised? I'd suggest go find you a field somewhere and fly.
Oct 07, 2019, 08:35 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
It is interesting that the AMA did not reference the Canadian solution as discussed in another thread as an alternative.

https://www.maac.ca/en/transport_canada_faq.php

BP
Oct 07, 2019, 08:47 PM
The Mr. Rogers of RC soaring
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashbound
Anyone is surprised?
If you get a chance check out Malcom Gladwells new book “talking with strangers”

Ryan
Latest blog entry: Supergee wing mount pylons
Oct 07, 2019, 08:53 PM
Sonoran Laser Art
drone
/drōn/
Learn to pronounce
verb
make a continuous low humming sound.

Quick Reply