Oct 07, 2019, 05:08 PM
Of course I have fired off the emails to my Congressional reps as requested on the AMA site. What affect that will have is questionable at best. As an R/C soaring pilot whose flying areas are all in 'uncontrolled airspace' as defined by the FAA , it is still worrisome that they define altitude limitations in those areas as 700-1200 ft. How will they determine/enforce that ? All of this will eventually collapse from its own bureaucratic weight but in the meantime govt. harassment will affect some unlucky fliers.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 07, 2019, 05:10 PM
BFMAC Founding Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
And right on Schedule the AMA issues yet another call to arms. They are stunned, stunned I tell you that FAA is doing exactly what everyone except the AMA thought was going to happen.

http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/ama...19/10/07/4029/
On the plus side of of the generally bad news here is speck of good news that I have considered achievable and been talking up for years:
Quote:
In uncontrolled airspace, recreational users will be permitted to fly up to 700’ or 1200’, depending on the user’s location.
Oct 07, 2019, 05:19 PM
Commander, U.S. Navy (Ret.)
AMA's letter is not going to sway anyone. It is full of emotionalism and outright misrepresentations.

For example, AMA contends that Congress gave FAA the power to waive if safety not impacted. Patently not true. The Congress gave FAA the authority to update the 349 exception rules ... IN COORDINATION WITH OTHER STAKEHOLDERS. That does not mean that AMA gets something just because they ask for it. Others get to weigh in too.

Another is this end of the world impact on vets and kids. Uhm, sorry. There's other groups out there, Flite Test among them, that do a much better job of bringing kids into the hobby ... and they don't whine about 400 feet -- and the FAA doing exactly what Congress told them to do.

And lastly, I sincerely doubt that FAA will allow flight above 400 in uncontrolled airspace, the 700 - 1200 mentioned by the AMA in their whiny email to members. Why? It would be contrary, to a very explicit provision of law. And I suspect those other stakeholders will have something to say about it. Yet again, AMA presenting a desperately rosy picture ... and I predict that YET AGAIN, it won't happen.
Oct 07, 2019, 05:23 PM
Team Futaba
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by abel pranger
On the plus side of of the generally bad news here is speck of good news that I have considered achievable and been talking up for years:
You need to look at the next question:

Quote:
Q: New recreational requirements were signed into law last October, why am I just hearing of this?

A: The FAA has been working to implement the new recreational requirements for months. Until recently, the FAA has been telling AMA that our operations will not be negatively impacted. However, within the last week, the FAA informed us of a coming policy that will not allow altitude waivers for recreational flyers.
Oct 07, 2019, 05:37 PM
Commander, U.S. Navy (Ret.)
AMA would be wise to start shaping the expectations of its members for the following future:
- RemoteID mandatory
- Nothing above 400 AGL in class G
- Nothing above 400 AGL in controlled airspace, and often lower
- Testing that shows AMA members aren't as knowledgable as AMA thinks they are
Oct 07, 2019, 05:44 PM
BFMAC Founding Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
You need to look at the next question:
Yeah, I know it isn't over until the fat lady sings.
Oct 07, 2019, 06:05 PM
Whats the point. Last time i wrote i got an auto reply to the tune of i fully support the FAA and safety of the airspace...blah,blah,blah.

The FAA is gonna do whatever they want, as they always have in spite of what anyone else thinks...theyre not some pee on hobby like R/C thats killing itself with technology and anyone can fly successfully NOW aircraft, or stupid flying chunks of plastic and/or carbon.
This is the Federal Government...enjoy it while it lasts... sure plenty of stuff to fly slow and low but a good portion of disiplines will quickly go extinct.. was fun while it lasted
Last edited by Joshadam; Oct 07, 2019 at 06:12 PM.
Oct 07, 2019, 06:08 PM
Welcome, unfortunately, to the club guys/gals it's happening globally I'm a BARCS member in the UK https://www.barcs.co.uk/forums/ and today we're pretty much having the exact same posts on here as we are on our side of the pond. Interesting that you have approximately 170,000 fliers that's the exact same number my totally out of touch government have us down for and hell you could fit my country in someone back yard in the USA. Where do my lot get the figures from I wonder!
Oct 07, 2019, 06:19 PM
AeroDan
It’s been 400’ since 1981. I was “8” then. My math sucks.
Oct 07, 2019, 06:41 PM
EIEIEIO Classic is dway ta go!
The AMA wants us to make contact, write letters, etc..etc....
Again......what has our AMA been doing for its members the past few years?
Oct 07, 2019, 07:02 PM
BFMAC Founding Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
What does AMA want? FAA gave them an opportunity to say. From memory and so not to be taken as as a direct quote, FAA told AMA they could set their own limits on altitude AGL for model airplane flights for their members. I never saw the/a response, did you?
Oct 07, 2019, 07:06 PM
So the AMA's magic letter of dispensation from 2016 has stopped working or the AMA KoolAid has worn off, I'm not sure which.

I think we all saw this day coming.
Oct 07, 2019, 07:09 PM
Quote:
I dunno man... But the simple fact of the matter is...You're still flying aren't you?
Oct 07, 2019, 07:10 PM
BFMAC Founding Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingwoodbarney
So the AMA's magic letter of dispensation from 2016 has stopped working or the AMA KoolAid has worn off, I'm not sure which.

I think we all saw this day coming.
Roger that, though of course I don't speak for everybody.
Oct 07, 2019, 07:31 PM
Hey Guys, Watch This.......
Quote:
They were assuring us that none of this would happen because were AMA members........................................... ................. Where ya been?

Mike

Quick Reply