Oct 06, 2019, 02:27 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

(x)p 38

Always wanted one, so...
70 cm wing span. AUW is 214g with 2x 260mAh 2s packs
Motors are 1806 2280kV with 3blade 5042 props on 12A escs
4x 3.7g servos

First Maiden flight was terror inducing. Didn't think fingertips could sweat that much.
CG was all wrong and and the props spun upwards on the outside. So she climbed to much and ALWAYS wanted to go into the spiral of death. Got her out most times until... you know.

So I changed the props around (right side CW, left CCW) , put the energy more front and gave more epo on channel 1.

That was better, but loops were still unclean. I think that is because I installed the elevator wrong. On the bright side: She flies very stable and extremely quiet. And she is really pretty while airborn.

Since then I turned the elevator around, so the wood makes sense and now I am waiting for a less windy day. Hope that cleans up the loops, otherwise I might have to install another servo to control it symmetricallly.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 07, 2019, 06:42 AM
Foamy and Glider fanatic
Very nice! I've always wanted a P-38 as well. And I've been thinking that I would like to make one just like this. Did you make up the plans yourself or get them from somewhere online?
Oct 07, 2019, 09:25 PM
skumgummi dave
Well done.
Oct 08, 2019, 05:59 AM
Thread OP
Thank you.
I scavaged through the interwebs and found some 3 view drawings of the different versions.
Then I combined some details of the XP 38 with some of the F Version and mocked up the carton forms. (I tried being clever for once and made them in 2:1, so I could actually get some measurement from that without using the calculator)

If you guys want, I can post some fotos of my templates with measurements. Dont really see me making CAD Plans right now, for I have no program.

Also I am already thinking about a 1m version, with slightly slimmer fuselages and a taller cockpit.
Main reason is, that those are not optimal in the current version and that I could easily store more servos in the bigger fuselages to control elevator and rudder symmetrically and without the boom behind the plane.
Oct 09, 2019, 07:55 AM
Thread OP

Update

It is flyable now. Flipping the elevator and giving more epo helped. It's still not a relaxed flyer. But it is almost harmless on half throttle, until it wants to annoy you again. Loops are still untidy, but I adapted by using the elevator very carefully. She is still quite quiet. Even on full stick.
And if you go under 2/5 throttle, she makes funny things.
But all in all it is a lot more controlable than in the beginning. I guess part of that is, me getting used to the plane.

The plan to make a 1m version of this is scrapped for now, mainly because this one works sorta and I would rather build different planes. Also, it's a bit bugging, that I need two batterie packs to balance this thing.

Quick Reply