Oct 05, 2019, 07:01 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Stepping up to my first 3D plane

I'm getting the SBach 342 1/4 scale 1.20 from Phoenix models.
My next project.
This is a beauty as I've seen pictured from the internet.
I plan on using all digital Hitec setup,
My expectations are very high with this airplane.
I will install a nitro 1.20 2s nitro or an equivalent 30cc gas.
What have you installed on this bird?
Last edited by johngr; Oct 09, 2019 at 08:44 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 16, 2019, 03:37 PM
Thread OP
PHOENIX MODELS - SBach 342 Unboxing (5 min 27 sec)
Last edited by johngr; Nov 04, 2019 at 05:02 PM.
Nov 27, 2019, 10:27 AM
Thread OP
I will install a gas motor probably a dle 20cc.
Anyone with this airplane have any issues as i've seen that with this engine the plane is tail heavy.

johng
Dec 22, 2019, 02:21 PM
Thread OP
ok,
getting the gear up
I will put 2 6V Nimh 1900 for receiver, how to connect in parallel? 6V 3100mah
any thoughts
Dec 23, 2019, 06:33 AM
Oh...that's gonna leave a mark
With a plane that size, I would just use a single battery.
Dec 24, 2019, 07:35 AM
First, I would not use NiMh any more. Too many bad experiences, and with the far superior LiFe around, there's no point in running them.

Second, to answer your question 2 batteries in parallel, the easiest way I know of would be to run the power for the second through a second switch, and then to a Y between the receiver and the rudder servo. The rudder servo because it's generally the biggest power user. This Y will give it a straight shot to the battery without having to go through the receiver, and will also back feed the receiver when/if necessary. This would give you redundant power from either battery. Cheap, simple, and it works great.

If you decide to go with a lighter single LiFe, the second diagram illustrates how you could hook that up using the Y harness plan as well. This single batt plan with dual switches is used frequently by those wanting max power for power hungry servos.
Jan 07, 2020, 08:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks
Second, to answer your question 2 batteries in parallel, the easiest way I know of would be to run the power for the second through a second switch, and then to a Y between the receiver and the rudder servo.
This is a setup, I have not seen before. Normally a dual battery setup has one battery for the ignition and one for the receiver/servos with an optically isolated kill switch in between. Your proposed setup could have a couple of problems:
  • If the two batteries are not meticulously charged to same voltage, one battery will charge the other through your receiver. The amperage is uncontrolled and may be enough to cook the receiver when switching on the batteries.
  • If one battery shorts or collapses, the other battery is shorted through the receiver... (and the smoke thickens!)
  • If you have a failure in one of the battery connections, you cannot easily detect that besides running low before expected. True redundancy requires that you can detect a failure and act while running on your redundancy.
When going so far as connecting batteries in parallel, I would really recommend using some kind of power management box to ensure true redundancy and protection.

However, I mostly just fly single battery setups myself and have had no trouble with that
Jan 08, 2020, 10:17 AM
I agree with you to a certain extent. With current LiFe battery technology being where it is, I'm not real concerned about the effort required to get 2 packs "close enough" as far as matched voltages. I think many will parallel charge them most of the time anyway.

As mentioned, with today's LiFe batteries, there's very little concern here over battery "shorting or collapses". No more than major failures with other major flight pack components anyway.

And last, the intent here is not about providing full redundancy (with the single or dual battery diagrams). It's way more about an inexpensive simple method of providing adequate amperage to power hungry servos. This includes getting some of the amperage/power load off of the receiver's power buss. While I know receivers exist that are able to handle the loads placed on them by today's performance planes, that's not always the case.....

And I'm with you to on the benefits of single packs - though care must be taken to assure your servos are getting adequate power. Trying to feed a performance plane's flight pack through a standard single slide switch is a proven bad plan for example....
Feb 03, 2020, 02:08 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
First, I would not use NiMh any more. Too many bad experiences, and with the far superior LiFe around, there's no point in running them.

Second, to answer your question 2 batteries in parallel, the easiest way I know of would be to run the power for the second through a second switch, and then to a Y between the receiver and the rudder servo. The rudder servo because it's generally the biggest power user. This Y will give it a straight shot to the battery without having to go through the receiver, and will also back feed the receiver when/if necessary. This would give you redundant power from either battery. Cheap, simple, and it works great.

If you decide to go with a lighter single LiFe, the second diagram illustrates how you could hook that up using the Y harness plan as well. This single batt plan with dual switches is used frequently by those wanting max power for power hungry servos.

hi
the illustration is κind of mix so i have couple of queries.
The Y adapter will connect between the receiver and the rudder servo, the male connector will connect to ch4 (rudder-receiver) and the second male connector to switch #2 and the female to rudder servo, how the rudder operate with no signal from receiver?

also the universal rc connector, with the single battery setup (life) the battery has single terminal, how to connect the x2 universal rc connector to single battery terminal
thanks for clarification
johngr
Feb 04, 2020, 05:14 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
I agree with you to a certain extent. With current LiFe battery technology being where it is, I'm not real concerned about the effort required to get 2 packs "close enough" as far as matched voltages. I think many will parallel charge them most of the time anyway.

As mentioned, with today's LiFe batteries, there's very little concern here over battery "shorting or collapses". No more than major failures with other major flight pack components anyway.

And last, the intent here is not about providing full redundancy (with the single or dual battery diagrams). It's way more about an inexpensive simple method of providing adequate amperage to power hungry servos. This includes getting some of the amperage/power load off of the receiver's power buss. While I know receivers exist that are able to handle the loads placed on them by today's performance planes, that's not always the case.....

And I'm with you to on the benefits of single packs - though care must be taken to assure your servos are getting adequate power. Trying to feed a performance plane's flight pack through a standard single slide switch is a proven bad plan for example....

https://www.theworldmodels.com/store...n-Cord-EBC0070

is this what you are talking about?
Feb 04, 2020, 07:51 PM
Y harness I'm talking about is nothing special. About any standard y harness will work - including the one in your link.

Quick Reply