Oct 04, 2019, 10:23 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Recommendations

I used to have a FancyFoam Edge 540 profile many years ago and loved it. Dual aileron srvos/flaperons, hover for days, very fun. I'm now looking to relive that and get another 3d profile. But I'm having difficulty deciding on which one. I'd like dual aileron servos and 3s and 32-40" wingspan. Preferably a combo so I don't need to piece together components that I'll probably order wrong. What do you recommend?

I'm looking at a 36IN VOLANTEX SABER 920 PNP possibly. Is this decent?
Last edited by trowelfaz; Oct 04, 2019 at 10:35 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 05, 2019, 01:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trowelfaz

I'm looking at a 36IN VOLANTEX SABER 920 PNP possibly. Is this decent?
I doubt it . Voltantx = lanyu = blechk
It might be Ok for a sport plane...
Oct 07, 2019, 09:38 AM
What's your budget?

I've had a couple of Volantex planes. Surprisingly, better electronics than anything Dynam, but had some inconsistent flight characteristics.

The ROC MX-S v2 is my recent replacement for a Saber that had a few ground bounces before finally tearing the motor off. Much better airframe, but in the $175 range.

Flies 3 or 4S, just need a receiver of your choice.
Oct 07, 2019, 09:40 AM
Oh crappers - you're looking for a profile.

http://www.valuehobby.com/airplanes/epp-plane.html?p=1

You'll need to buy everything but VH has all that stuff. I have the 39" SBACH setup per their recommendations but with their slightly heavier digital 12g servo's. Flies great.
Oct 07, 2019, 09:43 AM
Thread OP
I already had the TechOne Sbach 32" from Value Hobby. I didn't like it. Extremely tail heavy and I didn't like the flight characteristics (compared to the old FancyFoam Edge I used to have).
Oct 07, 2019, 10:24 AM
that was my issue with the 2 Volantex planes I had.

I don't have one, but I've flown the H-King MX - another great machine?

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbykin...955mm-arf.html
Oct 07, 2019, 02:15 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
You loved your Fancy Foam plane, but you're not going back for another one because...?

I like West Michigan Park Flyers planes. the XL 3Ds have dual aile servos, std size have one. But you can build it anyway you want. Keep it light.

I like my McFoamy std as well or better than the pricier planes I have from Twisted Hobby and TechOne. But I'm happy with all of them.
Oct 07, 2019, 06:27 PM
Registered Foam Abuser
https://twistedhobbys.com/rcf-39-epp...540-v3-series/
Oct 10, 2019, 01:32 AM
I agree. If you don’t like valuehobby then it sounds like you’ll love twistedhobby. 32” or 39”.
In the 32” I cut in my own holes for dual servos and like that a lot but that’s just me.

Neither one will hover for days but they will hover for minutes...in your driveway.

And finally—it’s impossible to have a foamy too tail heavy! Simply slide the battery forward on the fuse and it will be better. Cut a slot in the fuse to hold batt when you’re happy with it’s flight. Any plane that is too tail heavy will fly bad. All These foamies fly nice with a forward CG and less throws too. It’s up to you to set up to your style.

Good luck. Nothing beats these foamies for the backyard

Quick Reply