Modified Challenge Cup June 1, 2, 3

US GPS Nationals June 4, 5, 6

Flying 1/3 scale, SLS, and Sports class

Details later

Regards Dean
to remove ads between posts
Oct 15, 2019, 11:05 AM
Thread OP
There are two separate contests this year. Modified Challenge Cup and US GPS Nationals.

A normal Challenge Cup allows you to fly whenever you want. We are changing the format so you fly in a heat at a designated time. There may be more than one group flying in a heat depending on how many entrants.

There will be two classes in the Challenge Cup, Sports Class and any glider powered or not under 25 kilograms. So that means the 1/3 scale guys maybe flying with 1/2 scale monsters. This worked very well in Spain and it will work in Montague, trust me. The object is to bring as many people as possible to GPS racing.

The US GPS Nationals will have three classes, 1/3 scale, SLS, and Sports. Giant gliders can be flown here as well but they have to be self launching (SLS) and under 25 kilograms.

Other notes:

No single lap speed rounds at Montague as this is a soaring contest. However there will be assigned speed tasks calling for 2 to 5 or 6 laps.

Existing rules apply except as noted.

Catered meals Wed. evening and Friday evening. Grills available if you want to cook at hangar.

Camping at hangar is OK. No hookups for RV's, plenty of tent space.

We have both hangars to ourselves this year. We host the 20 meter two seat and Standard class Nationals but that starts the following week.

Please considering at least entering the Challenge Cup as it's really low pressure and you will learn a lot.

Regards Dean
Oct 15, 2019, 03:01 PM
or GPS, F, J, K, or even TD
Awesome Dean. Very good thinking on the Challenge Cup idea. I am assuming that I can arrive and fly in the Challenge Cup as my practice day for the GPS Nationals, right?

Looking forward to this one again. See you in Visalia this weekend.

Mike
Oct 15, 2019, 09:42 PM
yyz
yyz
Sounds like a great format, Dean! Really looking forward to a couple of weeks of flying.

Mike
Oct 16, 2019, 12:29 AM
And a daily Scrambowl...

Tom
Oct 16, 2019, 10:27 AM
Thread OP
Mike S. Yes you can use the Challenge cup for practice.

Mike D. Looking forward to sharing the skies with you.

Tom W. Scrambowl, sounds like a low cal offering from the Black Bear Diner.
Dec 04, 2019, 03:07 AM
Don't know about the Scrambowl, but I will be providing Baked Beans again in 2020 - you can put those in a bowl, but not legal to carry onboard your sailplane!
Dec 08, 2019, 08:10 PM
Is this event open to individuals who just want to spectate? If so, then where is it being held?
Dec 10, 2019, 03:48 PM
Thread OP
You are most welcome to watch. Meetings and socializing will be at the white hangars located at Siskiyou County Airport.
Regards Dean
Dec 10, 2019, 06:41 PM
Thank you Dean. Very good motorcycle ride from my place to this site!
Jan 25, 2020, 11:00 PM
To Register for this event please go to: http://f3xvault.com/

You will need to register on the F3x Vault website and then register for each of the classes you intend to fly in.

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGradwell
Practice May 30, 31

Modified Challenge Cup June 1, 2, 3

US GPS Nationals June 4, 5, 6

Flying 1/3 scale, SLS, and Sports class

Details later

Regards Dean
Jan 27, 2020, 04:57 PM
Registered. Looking forward to this!

Tom
Feb 07, 2020, 10:13 AM
Sailplane Addict
Flight booked,
Registration done,

Looking forward to it

Stéphane
Feb 08, 2020, 02:39 AM
Team Horizon

Motels and food

Most competitors at this event and many of the competitors at the full size glider contests in Montague have stayed at the Rodeway Inn in Yreka. It's a well kept and clean old school motel where you can park outside the door to your room. It is one of my favorite motels in the whole country. When I stopped by there today to chat with Harry the owner I noticed that the sign had been changed from Rodeway Inn to Jefferson Inn. It seems that Harry has sold the motel to a young man who also owns the Mountain View Inn located at the north end of Yreka. I talked with both the new owner, Sanjay, and Harry who was still there since they had just closed the deal yesterday. Sanjay and Harry both assured me that the motel will continue with the same or even better quality and character. For now the motel does not have a website as it has been removed from the Choice Hotels system since it is no longer a Rodeway Inn. I will stop in there again in the next few days and find out how best to make reservations and see about a group rate. The normal rates are really good, if one were staying there now it is just $45 per night plus tax so probably about $50/night total. If you already had reservations through the Choice Hotels app or website I'm sure those are still good.

Of course there are other hotels in town but none that I have experience with other than the Econolodge and I wouldn't recommend that. Here is a link to a Bing search: Yreka Hotels

And now for my favorite subject - food. Dean has already detailed the 2 catered evening meals. Last year I think everyone ate at the hangar every night. Dean has a couple of grills and everyone just brought their own food to cook on them. There is a refrigerator in the hangar where you can keep your perishable food during the day if you don't have an ice chest. You just can't beat the atmosphere and view while eating at the hangar. Of course anyone is welcome to go to any of the restaurants in Yreka if you prefer. For lunch I plan to get the meat and cheese and fruit trays like we had last year. I don't anticipate any cost increase from Shasta Valley Meats so the cost will probably be just $5 per person per day again. For breakfast everyone is on their own. You are not allowed to come to this part of the world and not eat at Black Bear Diner at least once. It is legendary for good reason. You will not leave hungry. Btw the original Black Bear Diner is in the city of Mount Shasta just 30 miles south of Yreka. There is also J.D.'s Diner at the north end of town which Dean claims has the best hash he has ever had. There are also the usual fast food places.

If anyone has questions or suggestions just let me know.

Rick
Feb 08, 2020, 12:28 PM
One night I will be grilling various German sausages with customary mustards, and another I will grill my "sort-of-famous" marinated chicken. For those beer drinkers among you, I highly recommend 'Scrimshaw' German Pilsener from the local craft brewery North Coast Brewing Company.

Quick Reply