Oct 07, 2019, 04:38 PM
Build Fly Crash - Start Again!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErcoupeEd
onewonders,

You will enjoy the book, building with foam.
I started out with Sparky's original book and now also have the revised book.
I have been browsing this thread and have learned a lot .
I will apply it along with Keith Sparks methods.

I have two sets of plans for the Wendell Hostetler plans of the 102 inch wingspan
Sirius.
Plan on making patterns from one set and build on the other.
I love the older vintage aircraft.
I own and fly a full scale 1946 Ercouupe myself

I belong to the EAA and the VAA at OIshkoish Wisconsin and do volunteer work in the VAA division every year for the past 25 years.
I have been flying full scale since 1994 and and models since age 6, or 62 years ago!

Blue Skies,
Ed
Very cool. I always make templates. Itís only a matter of time that it will need to be rebuilt!!!
Build fly crash build again!
to remove ads between posts
Oct 07, 2019, 04:40 PM
Build Fly Crash - Start Again!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by foamnpacktape
I have not used Gorilla white glue before, but I am skeptical, can it be cut with a hot wire or knife as the OP requested?

The only glue I have found that works well in such situations is Super 77. It is a contact adhesive and a hot wire glides right through it, unnoticeable.

As for general gluing, I use regular white glue almost exclusively, it sticks well to EPS foams, dries clear, is sandable, and easy cleanup. I do use gorilla glues if there is some gap filling needed, but the stuff is messy to work with. I haven't tried their white glues though.

Although with the extruded EPS sanding and finishing is easier, and it is slightly stiffer, there is a significant weight penalty associated with it over expanded EPS, and it is more expensive. On the whole, for my builds I stick to regular expanded polystyrene, but I am cheap and anytime I can save a gram, I do so, those grams add up quickly.

Here is an example of my latest project, https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...rrow-the-third
Foamie Iíve been following all of your avro builds. My heart skips a beat when the avro is mentioned.
Oct 07, 2019, 04:59 PM
treefinder
Beautiful Arrows, Foamnpacktape. Are you covering them with tape or something stronger? On the glue, while I haven't wire cut any foam laminated with GGwhite, it cuts fine with good sharp knife, which we all know is best for the foam anyway. The 10 minute cure white is a bit less stiff and more accommodating of foam than the original 4hr cure brown. I find in humid SE MI I can glue a wing, clamp and turn to gluing up fuse, by time I am done with that the wing is to handling strength for next step, so I can work continuous. The resulting foamed glue is just a little stiffer than the XPS foam.

On the foams, I used EPS early on, but it was scrounged box filler and the classic crumbly beadboard, so i switched to first dollar store foam, then fanfold and now MPF. It would be an interesting comparison between wall thickness and cavity size required between the two types optimized for a single design. We all get used to making what is available to us work, though, and make planes that fly and are fun! I recall Steve (aeronaut I think) in Philippines who could only get the crumbly eps, but he made many great flying planes.

My only recent experience with EPS is watching friends with their RTFs. I haven't been too impressed with durability of the foam in them compared to my scratchbuilds.
Oct 08, 2019, 10:38 AM
Build it, don't buy it
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer
Beautiful Arrows, Foamnpacktape. Are you covering them with tape or something stronger? On the glue, while I haven't wire cut any foam laminated with GGwhite, it cuts fine with good sharp knife, which we all know is best for the foam anyway. The 10 minute cure white is a bit less stiff and more accommodating of foam than the original 4hr cure brown. I find in humid SE MI I can glue a wing, clamp and turn to gluing up fuse, by time I am done with that the wing is to handling strength for next step, so I can work continuous. The resulting foamed glue is just a little stiffer than the XPS foam.

On the foams, I used EPS early on, but it was scrounged box filler and the classic crumbly beadboard, so i switched to first dollar store foam, then fanfold and now MPF. It would be an interesting comparison between wall thickness and cavity size required between the two types optimized for a single design. We all get used to making what is available to us work, though, and make planes that fly and are fun! I recall Steve (aeronaut I think) in Philippines who could only get the crumbly eps, but he made many great flying planes.

My only recent experience with EPS is watching friends with their RTFs. I haven't been too impressed with durability of the foam in them compared to my scratchbuilds.
GGwhite cures in ten minutes? I had no idea, I gotta start paying more attention. Gotta pick up a bottle.

Covering lately with Ultra Coat right over the foam, and strapping tape in key locations. Colored packing tape used to cheap and available at dollar stores here, now I have to order it from China and it costs a lot more, 4x more. Get a much nicer finish from Ultracote and with the time I am spending on my builds, better to spend a couple of extra bucks and get a nicer plane.

As for durability, usually by the time I crash 'em, I am getting bored with them anyway. Actually, having way too few crashes and the planes are starting to stack up, way too many planes and the wife is starting to notice.
Oct 08, 2019, 10:40 AM
Build it, don't buy it
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewonders
Foamie Iíve been following all of your avro builds. My heart skips a beat when the avro is mentioned.
Yep, something about that plane, it is hard to describe the childlike joy I experienced when my first Arrow build took to the air. such a site to see.

Quick Reply