Oct 04, 2019, 08:50 AM
Ay up it's warped
Thread OP
Help!

L R Armstrong' Topsail schooner

Seen this on the Model shipyard and Sarik hobbies website. Plans and hull available.

I cannot find any other information other than it is bread and butter construction, if the hull is not purchased and a nice sailer.

As a first model sailing ship is this a good one to start on.

My previous hobbying have been on aircraft although I have done a planked HMS Unicorn, static display many years ago.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 04, 2019, 01:27 PM
More information...

https://www.sarikhobbies.com/product/topsail-schooner/

A 30″ sailing model schooner/yacht for bread and butter construction, a successful compromise between full-size complexity and model-size simplicity.

Full Description
Designer: L R Armstrong
Star Rating: ***
Featured in “The Model Boats Magazine” April 1966
Plan MM909 Hull HULMM909 Set SETMM909
Please note that all plans are printed to order and as such we are unable to accept returns.

Topsail Schooner - Plan
(MM909)

£12.08
Topsail Schooner - Hull quantity

Topsail Schooner - Hull
(HULMM909)
Oct 05, 2019, 06:44 AM
Boaters are nice people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbrider
As a first model sailing ship is this a good one to start on?
Not having seen the plan, as Sarik provides very little information on that subject and only shows a picture of a finished hull, I'd say no.

As a first sailing schooner, one of Gary Webb's designs like the Irene or Annie offer simplicity of construction and a detailed plan.
Next to that the large threads on both boats will answer all questions you may have.

Regards, Jan.
Oct 05, 2019, 09:38 AM
Tippecanoe has a 47 inch Fair Harbor two masted schooner. Laser cut plywood parts and good support. Complete kit has everything you need except batteries and Varnish. It comes with a detailed Instruction BOOK, and some very good build videos on the web site.

It was my first RC Boat!

Rod
Oct 12, 2019, 07:56 AM
Ay up it's warped
Thread OP
Thank you for your advice everyone. I have ordered their Julia May plan, to have a look at. Definitely a type of Schooner I fancied and the plan will give me an idea if I want to build one...
I have seen the Schooner thread and will keep dropping in on that.
Oct 12, 2019, 07:58 AM
Ay up it's warped
Thread OP
Thank you for your advice everyone. I have ordered their Julia May plan, to have a look at. Definitely a type of Schooner I fancied and the plan will give me an idea if I want to build one...
I have seen the Schooner thread and will keep dropping in on that.
Oct 12, 2019, 08:21 AM
Boaters are nice people.
Nice,

I hope you keep us posted when you start the build.

Will it be bread & butter, or plank on frames?

Regards, Jan.
Oct 15, 2019, 07:52 AM
Ay up it's warped
Thread OP
The plans for the Julia May have arrived. It looks like bread and butter build may be easier, although the lines are there for one cross section and markings at different sections of the length of the hull suggesting it may once had the formers drawn to make it a plank on frame model.

It looks like an old plan for the sailing equivalent of "free flight". Just a rubber band holding the tiller and no details of radio control at all or how to control the sails
Last edited by mtbrider; Jan 13, 2020 at 12:00 PM. Reason: correction
Jan 10, 2020, 12:51 PM
Ay up it's warped
Thread OP
Well, I managed to get the magazines with the original build articles for the Julia May in them, spread over two magazines. To be honest they did not tell me much, except that the original designer had only built it as a pond yacht, with no inspiration on radio control outfitting.
Thankfully I have seen a few ideas on the web that may assist.

The designer also had problems sourcing the thickness of timber that he recommended, time has not made that any easier. I can obtain 12mm plywood, but the other thicknesses will have to be made up with laminates of thinner ply attached to this so it is close to that specified. On the subject of the deck, there is no mention of its thickness, so will guess this one and as there are no deck fittings suitable for providing access to any radio control these will have to be thought about.

The biggest problems is the mismatch between the two plans. Sheet 1 shows the hull sections and I have cut these out with a hand fretsaw.

When I came to match these to plan 2, the side view, to work out what to remove from the middle of each section I find that they are all way too short...

I have attached a picture of section 3 and 7 against the side view of the plans, they appear nothing like similar.

Do I guestimate how to put the model together or just give it up as a mis-sold pile of
Jan 13, 2020, 04:45 PM
Your question is hard to answer. I can't see much of the plan to agree the sections are mis-matched. That said, it looks like you are using plywood. If so, that would be very hard to hollow out for your RC gear. I suggest using Pine wood as it is a soft wood.

Side bar: I have not built bread-and-butter in +/- 50 years. I find it easier to plank build with frame sections mounted on the keel.
Jan 14, 2020, 06:38 AM
Ay up it's warped
Thread OP
The plans only show one cross section so I would say there is insufficient information to complete a plank on frame. The markings on the bottom of the keel, on the plan, suggest that it may have been considered, or included in the plans at some stage.

I guess that the plans have been printed to the wrong scale, either one or both parts of it. The model is meant to be 30", this is the length of the plans side view of the hull, excluding the bowsprit.

Commercially I can only obtain 12mm timber, in sufficient width, in plywood and was going to cut out the middles before gluing them all together. Trying to chisel them out would have been a nightmare in such hardwood. I do not have the workshop capabilities to cut timber to desired depth.
Jan 15, 2020, 07:53 AM
I forgot that one could just cut out the individual layers before gluing. That is the way to go. It looks like you just need to enlarge the topmost layer beyond the layer below. Then, you'll be ok. Remember that many wooden vessel builders altered the designs under construction. If you end up with a shape that you like. Then, it's the right shape. Just getting this model on the water will be a great learning experience to bring to the next model you build.

Looking back at Post #8, one could also make a plank on frame model.
Jan 17, 2020, 12:36 PM
Ay up it's warped
Thread OP
Looking at the plan again, there, hiding in plain sight, were all the formers for a plank on frame construction.

I have looked again at the top most layer, the plan shows it shorter than the one below, to provide clearance for the bulwark, which is recessed into this layer. I had cut the bows out a little fine so cut that layer out again.

Looking at the different thickness of timber specified for the top two layers I compared them to the plans, as they looked thinner than the other layers. They are thinner. I shall leave it so all the different layers of the hull remain at 12mm.

I am still taken with the looks of this Schooner and likely to finish it. In the meantime I have ordered the plans for the "Katie" a gaff rigged pilot cutter
https://www.sarikhobbies.com/product...avid-alderton/

If nothing else it will provide inspiration for the finish/set up of the Julia May.
Jan 18, 2020, 09:40 AM
Any modeler worth his/her salt has a yard backlog of models to be built.
Feb 04, 2020, 06:28 AM
Ay up it's warped
Thread OP
The plans for the cutter have arrived, they are more inspirational than instructional... but still tempting. There is a glassfibre hull available for it, there is no information on the plans to build a hull by any other means.

As someone has commented, there is a clear presumption that the builder has knowledge of building boats before.

The Julia May still progresses, three of the "breads" have been glued together and 12mm measured inboard from the smallest piece so I can cut the centre of the hull out. The build article in the magazine recommended cutting each slice 8mm inboard, thankfully I had not done that or I would have to cut the "breads" out again.

Why glue three together at this stage. The original designer had not thought through his plan and had to put strengtheners above the keel, I will just leave the ply above the keel intact to save that job.

Quick Reply