Dec 13, 2019, 01:26 PM
Hey Guys, Watch This.......
"So no other case means you demean him and call him a worry wort? I don't think its warranted... but thats the norm on here now..."

No I never said any of that. Go back and read my post.. Bottom line he modified the elevator it failed and he tried to blame Horizon calling it a design flaw. I don't care who he is or what he flies. One question why did the side he modified fail and the stock aside was just fine?
It is what it is.
Mike
to remove ads between posts
Dec 13, 2019, 01:37 PM
EDF Balance GURU and RC addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2663
"So no other case means you demean him and call him a worry wort? I don't think its warranted... but thats the norm on here now..."

No I never said any of that. Go back and read my post.. Bottom line he modified the elevator it failed and he tried to blame Horizon calling it a design flaw. I don't care who he is or what he flies. One question why did the side he modified fail and the stock aside was just fine?
It is what it is.
Mike
Each to their own... move on... He made a change that he thought it needed... a lot of us do that. I don't know if that was the reason for his crash.... People hate crashing and it brings up emotions... but hey lets move on. I just think things need to be more about helping instead of demeaning...
Latest blog entry: Afterburner in F-35 70mm jet
Dec 13, 2019, 01:39 PM
Hey Guys, Watch This.......
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooniac33
Each to their own... move on... He made a change that he thought it needed... a lot of us do that. I don't know if that was the reason for his crash.... People hate crashing and it brings up emotions... but hey lets move on. I just think things need to be more about helping instead of demeaning...
Agreed but he wasn't looking for help.

Mike
Dec 13, 2019, 01:42 PM
Retired US Navy
Also there was the history of another airplane/ manufacturer being called out and the threat of suing them... lots of other things there.

And this forum is many things to many people, to some it’s their social activity and though I agree about respect sometimes those yelling respect are the least respectful and those yelling tolerance are the least tolerant.
Dec 13, 2019, 05:48 PM
EDF Balance GURU and RC addict
Keyboard warriors unite!!

Can we get back to planes now? Just ordered a platinum fan for mine...
Latest blog entry: Afterburner in F-35 70mm jet
Dec 13, 2019, 07:41 PM
killickb
Yes, lets go there ! This forum used to be all about HELP and TECH ADVICE especially from those with many years of actual model design, build, fly and trim.
However it seems that every website that you visit these days is a platform for hate, whining and blame irrespective of it's title.
Dec 13, 2019, 11:25 PM
I’ve searched the thread for CG suggestions and have seen from 70mm to 80mm, is there a preferred one? Hoping to maiden tomorrow off grass. It’s had sand put on it so it slows the take offs a little on my other planes.

Update: went with 80mm - still a little nose heavy with the battery pushed all the way back. Maiden will be next week now.
Last edited by Soma888; Dec 14, 2019 at 05:55 AM.
Dec 14, 2019, 06:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooniac33
Keyboard warriors unite!!

Can we get back to planes now? Just ordered a platinum fan for mine...
Yes please.... seeing a bunch of grown men arguing isn't why anyone is here. Leave your negative drama in your head
Dec 14, 2019, 07:02 PM
An old Irascible Curmudgeon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soma888
Iíve searched the thread for CG suggestions and have seen from 70mm to 80mm, is there a preferred one? Hoping to maiden tomorrow off grass. Itís had sand put on it so it slows the take offs a little on my other planes.

Update: went with 80mm - still a little nose heavy with the battery pushed all the way back. Maiden will be next week now.
Should be fine at 80mm. I maiden'd mine at 80mm and it was neutral if not a bit tail heavy and I flew fine.

SJ
Dec 14, 2019, 07:07 PM
An old Irascible Curmudgeon
I've noticed that the "foamy jet" community is a little intense as compared to the "Prop" groups.

What I find interesting in this hobby is that no one ever seems to take responsibility for their crashes. Pilot Error? Oh No!

SJ
Dec 14, 2019, 08:15 PM
San Antonio TX.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soma888
Iíve searched the thread for CG suggestions and have seen from 70mm to 80mm, is there a preferred one? Hoping to maiden tomorrow off grass. Itís had sand put on it so it slows the take offs a little on my other planes.

Has anyone been successful taking this one off of grass yet? Just curious.

Bob
Dec 14, 2019, 10:38 PM

CG 84mm

My CG is at 84mm with a Gens Ace 5000ma 60 c battery
Dec 15, 2019, 12:08 AM
Design.Build.Fly
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensei
Has anyone been successful taking this one off of grass yet? Just curious.
Bob
Yes
Made spacers to lower the nose gear about 1/4 inch. The spacers are angled forward so when the gear is retracted the nose wheels stop in the proper stock position so the gear doors work correctly.
Use full flap for takeoff.
Increased elevator servo travel (EPA) to about 125%. Or about as far as I could go without the EPA trying to overdrive the servo and post assembly.
CG at back of range.

Have flown from two grass fields.
One is mostly burmuda grass and is kept at about 1 inch. No prob taking off even when the grass is a little damp with dew.
The other is full burmuda and is kept at about 1.5 in and its ok if the grass is dry. Marginal when the grass is damp.
Knowing this I wont take the 18 to any grass strips where the grass is longer.

Cheers
Last edited by phantomphan; Dec 15, 2019 at 11:43 AM.
Dec 15, 2019, 12:15 AM
He builds stuff. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomphan
Yes
Made spacers to lower the nose gear about 1/4 inch. The spacers are angled forward so when the gear is retracted the nose wheels stop in the proper stock position so the gear doors work correctly.
Use full flap for takeoff.
Increased elevator servo travel (EPA) to about 125%. Or about as far as I could go without the EPA trying to overdrive the servo and post assembly.
CG at back of range.

Have flown from two grass fields.
One is mostly burmuda grass and is kept at about 1 inch. No prob flying even when the grass is a little damp with dew.
The other full burmuda and is kept at about 1.5 in and its fine if the grass is dry. Marginal when the grass is damp.
Knowing this I wont take the 18 to any grass strips where the grass is longer.

Cheers
Is there any chance at all we can get a picture of this?
Dec 15, 2019, 12:34 AM
Design.Build.Fly

Nose gear height mod

Pics show the pair of front retract spacers. I used longer retract mounting screws in front so I didnt have to worry about forces trying to pull them out.
Because the retract is lowered, I had to add material to the spring lever for the nose gear door.
Also, I had to relocate the steer linkage wire from above the protruding plastic keeper/guide to below. A hardened balsa block keeps the linkage wire from falling down when the retracts and steering are cycled.

Cheers.
Last edited by phantomphan; Dec 15, 2019 at 11:38 AM.

Quick Reply