Oct 15, 2019, 12:54 PM
killickb
I too am waiting for some after the fact flight reports, enough with the second guessing. We all saw how the suspension appears to bottom out statically but what does it do in the landing phase? Heck it may even force people to improve their approach/landing skills to better than a 50/50 proposition !

Remember in the old days when we had to "build" we were advised to add lightness and design and build to fly not to survive the inevitable rough arrival ?

My bet is that E-Flite designers have this one nailed. If not we had better hope that Peter gets one because he has shown that most L/G can be improved whether you like it or not !
to remove ads between posts
Oct 15, 2019, 12:57 PM
Foam addict
The mounts better be solid as there is so much leverage having the legs angled aft when compressed. The retract units themselves also need some pretty positive locks.
Oct 15, 2019, 01:06 PM
I've heard that three people at my club are getting this plane, so I expect to get some first-hand impressions. Until then, my popcorn bag is sitting next to the microwave
Latest blog entry: Digital LED Voltmeter
Oct 15, 2019, 01:19 PM
Calm down guys, we will find out soon enough, mine is ready for the maiden flight, I won't have a video but I will give you a flight report.
Oct 15, 2019, 01:33 PM
Retired US Navy
Glad we’ll find out when you guys fly. The six flights yesterday were obviously nothing.
Oct 15, 2019, 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan D
Similar stock to stock... might look a little faster since itís smaller. His fan was balanced and sounded great.
Cool, thx.
Oct 15, 2019, 01:35 PM
Landing is not optional
Best news I have heard so far is that FMS suddenly remembered how to balance fans again! They sounded great in the HH video and Evan said his buddy's sounded good as well.
Oct 15, 2019, 01:39 PM
Foam addict
It is about time (to sell fans balanced properly) since other manufacturers have been for some time now at no extra charge.
Oct 15, 2019, 01:39 PM
EDF Balance GURU and RC addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan D
Great Ray, let us know when you see one.
You should know that I dont just talk or type without being able to back it up....
Oct 15, 2019, 01:40 PM
EDF Balance GURU and RC addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesonC
Best news I have heard so far is that FMS suddenly remembered how to balance fans again! They sounded great in the HH video and Evan said his buddy's sounded good as well.
U mean eflite....
Oct 15, 2019, 01:44 PM
Retired US Navy
Me either...
Kinda hard to compare their speeds...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooniac33
You should know that I dont just talk or type without being able to back it up....
Oct 15, 2019, 01:45 PM
Landing is not optional
Quote:
U mean eflite....

Nope... I mean FMS
Oct 15, 2019, 01:46 PM
Landing is not optional
Quote:
I saw that on FB too!

Closer in size than I thought though.
Oct 15, 2019, 01:48 PM
Retired US Navy
Assembled in person there’s a significant difference.. in my opinion.
Oct 15, 2019, 02:14 PM
Fly it like you're in it
I just had a discussion with our local Horizon Hobby dealer and asked him if he knew about the design of the main gear.
In his talks with someone from Horizon, he said that they decided to go with this bottomed out set up to get around the tendency for the 18 to get in an uncontrollable speed wobble when it is side loaded at high roll out speeds. He also said that there is an internal "bump stop" of some sort to help absorb some of the energy of bottoming out, but he wasn't sure how that is done (an "O" ring/ grease?)
If that is the case, then it makes sense to me.

Quick Reply