Oct 02, 2019, 08:24 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Hysol

I often see folks talk about using Hysol in their builds. Usually on glass fuse planes. Having never used it Iím curious. I would imagine the mixing tip applicator makes neat work. Iíve looked at the manufacturerís page and see lots of different formulations of Hysol.
So Iíd like to hear what people with experience use it for, which formulation, and why.

Thanks
Jim
to remove ads between posts
Oct 03, 2019, 08:56 AM
2019 EDF Jet Jam June 13-16
9462 I don't use the tips myself as I hand mix and apply with gloves and use Alcohol to smooth the fillet. Mc Master Carr sells the stuff and of course you'll want the applicator gun.
Oct 03, 2019, 09:30 AM
Thread OP
I bought a wood jet partially built and the fuse formers are not well fitting or well adhered. Some
Have popped free from one side and stuck well to other. You can see daylight between parts in some joints. But to cut them free is more work than making a new fuse. Which would be plan B.

So, a nozzle tip applicator may be desirable.
Oct 03, 2019, 10:21 AM
Build'em and Crash'em
Just get the long tips, the short ones dont mix as well

The other option, since you are just gluing to wood, is plain old epoxy, mix in a cup with filler like west systems or micro balloons, pour into a disposable plastic syringe and use that.
Much cheaper than hysol if you dont really need the extra adhesion to fiberglass
Oct 03, 2019, 10:26 AM
Foam addict
For poorly fitting joints PU glue is fantastic. PU aka Gorrilla glue is one manufacturer.
It expands within any openings making the joint strong as if they were fitted perfectly.
Adding moisture will quicken the foaming action if desired.

As for epoxy, I have used dollar store 5 minute epoxy for years and love it! Hysol is commercial grade but most joints in models are glues easily with less costly glues. Dollar store CA is also great for some applications.
Last edited by 4stripes; Oct 03, 2019 at 10:32 AM.
Oct 03, 2019, 10:36 AM
Thread OP
Ken, 4Stripes

I agree. I’ve considered both. And have both on my bench.

I’m taking this opportunity to learn more about the Hysol and see if it had advantages over those others, like automix and applicator tip. I’m trying to minimize all my exposure to epoxy to the bare minimum.

And maybe if I learn about it I’ll know when to use it in the future.

Thanks again
Jim
Oct 03, 2019, 10:39 AM
Foam addict
Epoxy mixing should not involve you touching it with skin and I don't think there is much fuming. Personally the worst glue exposure effect for me is using CA accelerator. That stuff is nasty.
Last edited by 4stripes; Oct 03, 2019 at 10:47 AM.
Oct 03, 2019, 10:45 AM
Lithium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimF
I often see folks talk about using Hysol in their builds. Usually on glass fuse planes. Having never used it Iím curious. I would imagine the mixing tip applicator makes neat work. ...
As Bob says you can get all you need from McMaster Carr, it is really good stuff and worth the money

https://www.mcmaster.com/loctite-hysol

Nothe that there's a bewildering variety of Loctite epoxy compounds

The nozzles are extremely useful when doing precision work in regions that might be hard to reach. The thixotropic agent prevents dripping.

I use it all the time, but mostly w/o the nozzle (which can be rather wasteful). As you probably know, it is a slow cure (24hr) and very rigid (unlike PU).

The way it sets, and it's rigidity when cured, remind me a bit of JB weld, which is also sandable to some extent.

Last edited by Herb; Oct 03, 2019 at 11:08 AM.
Oct 03, 2019, 10:52 AM
Foam addict
To say PU is not rigid is not really valid. It will bond and be as solid as any wood used in a plane.
I have used it on poorly assembled landing gear mounts in a composite jet with excellent results. Epoxy is heavy and would not have filled the gaps as effectively.
Every glue has its strengths and weaknesses. The glues used most often for me are 5min epoxy, CA, PU and Goop. Each has its ideal use.
Oct 03, 2019, 05:58 PM
I use BVM's Aeropoxy, which I've heard is just rebranded Hysol 9462. They are so-called structural adhesives, intended for use in high load-bearing applications. The joint is stronger than the wood or fiberglass being adhered. All my models are the epoxyglass fuselage/ plywood former type of construction where "Hysol" is the preferred adhesive.
Oct 04, 2019, 03:22 AM
jofro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimF
I often see folks talk about using Hysol in their builds. Usually on glass fuse planes. Having never used it Iím curious. I would imagine the mixing tip applicator makes neat work. Iíve looked at the manufacturerís page and see lots of different formulations of Hysol.
So Iíd like to hear what people with experience use it for, which formulation, and why.

Thanks
Jim
I use it mainly for high strength application jobs, the only draw back, long cure time for best result.
Oct 04, 2019, 10:05 AM
Thread OP
Lots of good input. Thanks very much.
Oct 04, 2019, 10:30 AM
Lithium Member
Incidentally Jim if you decide to go that route, I now get it regularly through Amazon prime, on my front door the next day

https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-Hysol...ustrial&sr=1-2
Oct 04, 2019, 12:08 PM
Thread OP
Herb,
Seems I have a few items I already need from Amazon, might as well add this.

Thanks.
Oct 06, 2019, 03:50 PM
California Style
for quicker set up I use the Hysol E-20HP with long mixing tips and if I need to reach back of an airframe attach a piece of vinyl tubing to the nozzle and you can reach as far as you need.

Quick Reply