Nov 20, 2019, 10:54 PM
Yep. I will do that Olli.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 20, 2019, 10:58 PM
OlliW
Thread OP
btw, the commands themselves like "videoon" (without the ") I believe are easy to read off the sketch, what might be less obvious is however that they need to be finished with a \n or a ; (that's in the cli module). For use with a terminal the ; is most convenient, i.e. to type in e.g. "videoon;"
Nov 20, 2019, 11:47 PM
Oh btw -- the GUI UART instability was caused by connecting the NT port to the Pix Telemetry port. FYI.
Nov 21, 2019, 01:28 AM
OlliW
Thread OP
ah ... so all mysteries solved now, that's great
Nov 21, 2019, 09:31 PM
Olli.

No issue with starting and stopping video, and taking pictures by typing in commands in the serial monitor in Arduino with my ESP32 paired. So far so good.

I can run a more comprehensive test of commands pretty soon and see what needs to be added for the Hero 7. But the basic stuff works. It actually would be really useful to control hypersmooth and a few other things but honestly toggling between photo and video and controlling shutter and video start/stop is really the most important thing.

In theory we should be able to control the camera in automated missions, do you think? I think Mission Planner has the video and photo options...never really looked at this.
Nov 21, 2019, 09:55 PM
OlliW
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Dornan
No issue with starting and stopping video, and taking pictures by typing in commands in the serial monitor in Arduino with my ESP32 paired. So far so good.
very cool

I consider adding a generic gopro wifi model, which just does videoon/off, shutter ... since these wifi commands probably work across all hero's this might be worth it

Quote:
I can run a more comprehensive test of commands pretty soon and see what needs to be added for the Hero 7. But the basic stuff works. It actually would be really useful to control hypersmooth and a few other things
it's fairly easy to add once it's known what setting nr and value these correspond to

this would be part of the effort I mentioned: "with a small change to the sketch, can be used to work out the exact settings for the hero7"

Quote:
In theory we should be able to control the camera in automated missions, do you think? I think Mission Planner has the video and photo options...never really looked at this.
I'm not totally sure, I have never used missions

photo certainly will work

videoon/off and the other settings I'm not sure

as much as I know mission commands are essentially just COMMAND_LONG messages, so if any COMMAND_LONG can be called by mission it should be all doable somehow

if it doesn't work yet however out of box, it should be doable and not very difficult to extend the AP code such to allow doing a full control of the camera. could be a worthwhile addition actually
Nov 21, 2019, 10:09 PM
OlliW
Thread OP
just briefly looked into the AP code, and it looks to me it only provides DO_DIGICAM_CONTROL, and a shooting cmd of 1 which triggers taking a picture
doesn't look like allowing video on/off

it does forward the message however also to all components, so it probably should be easy to "fake" the command so that the StorM32 could digest it

e.g one could add cmds 2 and 3 for video on, video off ...

EDIT: it also supports DO_DIGICAM_CONFIGURE, so one could set at least some basics such as ISO

EDIT II: so I think a great deal should be doable with some modifications to STorM32, the DO_DIGICAM_CONFIGURE.Mode field can be used to switch between photo and video mode, and DO_DIGICAM_CONTROL.ShootCommand would then allow to trigger a photo or to on/off video recording

that's a good addition, I will do that
Last edited by OlliW; Nov 21, 2019 at 10:21 PM.
Nov 21, 2019, 11:27 PM
Cool.

I reckon I can likely add the Hero 7 commands in the sketch based on the published info on this.
Nov 21, 2019, 11:45 PM
OlliW
Thread OP
you don't have anything to add to the sketch, that's not how it works
the missing info needs to be added to some of the description files I use to convert to STorM32 code and the camera xml file

the procedure I did to figure out the hero5 was as follows:
In the sketch there is an if case which if set oppositely enables a different code branch. This code branch allows to conveniently track CHANGES in the hero's settings json.
So what one just has to do is to systematically go through all settings of the camera and write down the changes they do. I did this for both the camera menu setting as well as the app settings, to ensure consistency and having grabbed all (and the app's naming was often more convenient). Sounds daunting and is, but is really done within 2-3 hours.
This list of info can then be used to append one of the definition files, which when allows to generate all required code files with some py scripts.

EDIT: the file I'm, talking about is "HERO5-Commands - edited.md", it should become "HERO7-Commands - edited.md" and it's entries corrected to reflect the Hero7.

things are slightly different for the status json, here one has to manually add if there are any changes to the hero5
Last edited by OlliW; Nov 22, 2019 at 03:02 AM.
Nov 22, 2019, 01:52 PM
OlliW
Thread OP
I've added now the DO_DIGICAM_CONFIGURE.Mode and DO_DIGICAM_CONTROL.ShootCommand changes suggested before

is there a simple way to check them on the bench, e.g. can I somehow run a mission on a totally rudimentary setup consisting just of the flight controller and the storm32, nothing else?
Nov 22, 2019, 03:27 PM
Hi Olli -- tied down today but I note your comments and I will generate a HERO7-Commands on my git fork.

That was quick. I think missions test on the bench are usually done in a HITL or SITL setup. Something I have not done yet.
Nov 23, 2019, 03:13 AM
OlliW
Thread OP
Quote:
That was quick.
code-wise it is really just few lines, i.e. very easy to do

Quote:
I think missions test on the bench are usually done in a HITL or SITL setup. Something I have not done yet.
me neither. Sad. So I have to wait until someone tests in real life I guess
Nov 23, 2019, 09:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlliW
code-wise it is really just few lines, i.e. very easy to do

me neither. Sad. So I have to wait until someone tests in real life I guess
I will do so pretty soon I think.
Nov 23, 2019, 11:53 AM
Olli. So I have looked at the MD files. Konrad has created a version of this file for the Hero7.

So in terms of checking these you went through the camera menu and checked that these all match up to actual commands in the firmware version you are using? Is that what you mean? And how about the "Framerates-Resolutions - edited" file. That seems Hero5 specific as well.

Do I need to test these URLs with a sketch as well?

And are we creating a Hero7 Status JSON file? I would assume the JSON for the hero 7 will have some new elements.
Nov 23, 2019, 12:30 PM
OlliW
Thread OP
Quote:
Konrad has created a version of this file for the Hero7.
yes

you have to decide which way is easier to go, to start from his, or to start from "HERO5-Commands - edited.md"

you'll notice that his file also will need some formatting to make it readable by the py script, so I would think that it's easier to start from "HERO5-Commands - edited.md" (at least this is what I would do). KonradIT's md could then be a guide.

Quote:
So in terms of checking these you went through the camera menu and checked that these all match up to actual commands in the firmware version you are using? Is that what you mean?
yes

EDIT: no. I went through them all and checked that these all match up with the entries in the md file !!!!

in fact, since I found KonradIT's md file be quite incomplete/buggy for the hero5 I essentially gave up with his md pretty soon and ended up going systematically through each setting using the Arduino sketch.

as said, I did it both ways, going through each setting via the camera menu and via the gopro app menu - I wanted to be sure I get all settings and options right

Quote:
And how about the "Framerates-Resolutions - edited" file. That seems Hero5 specific as well.
yes, it is hero specific. However, you may forget about it ! (unless you really are eager to also do this)

I currently don't use it at all as I do use a much better method to get ALL correlations correct.

Quote:
Do I need to test these URLs with a sketch as well?
I'm not sure which URLs you mean

Quote:
And are we creating a Hero7 Status JSON file? I would assume the JSON for the hero 7 will have some new elements.
depends
if you find that there are relevant differences to the hero5, then we will have to see what we should do
since for the status this are so few fields I essentially ended up doing them by hand (and not via py scripts)
note that for the status field there is no such canonical procedure for getting them as there is for the setting field

what I essentially ONLY need is the updated md file for the status settings. From that I should be able to create all what is needed.
Last edited by OlliW; Nov 23, 2019 at 01:32 PM.

Quick Reply