Sep 30, 2019, 08:27 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Global Hobbies/ Hobby Shack Gigolo, rare vintage slope glider.

Hi,

Im collecting classic slope Soarer, and i use them for a kind of VTPR- style soaring.
SIG Ninja, Flare Heron, Simprop Sagitta, Topmodell Kulbutin, and a few Foamies like Le Fish, i already own. One Type is missing in my classic collection:
Im searching now for a while the rare vintage slope soarer Gigolo, by Global Hobbies/ Hobby Shack as a Kit. Here in Europe i did not find it, maybe in America somebody own a kit, and can send it to me to Europe?

Ungustl.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 30, 2019, 10:31 AM
Try the for sale/wanted section you may have luck
Sep 30, 2019, 05:46 PM
I have two - an original scratch built, uber-lightweight version that I built from the designer's own templates (just pulled from storage to resurrect) as well as a mostly-finished Modeltech kit version I picked up on Ebay a while ago that is already covered and in need of completion (and possibly re-covering as it is quite faded). I'd be interested in selling the kit version but it's likely the cost to ship to Austria would be high.

Also note the kit version is quite a bit heavier than the scratch built ones we all flew back in the day and I think the airfoil may be slightly different as well. I'll take some pics of both and post later.

Barry
Last edited by dbarrym; Sep 30, 2019 at 10:28 PM.
Sep 30, 2019, 07:48 PM
As promised. The kit version has some distinct differences in the thickness of the TE and LE, fuse width and height (though that may have been me narrowing the fuse to save weight), the built up rudder and elevator (stab is solid but with large lightening holes), and a claer canopy vs. my carved canopy (missing here - lost in a midair on last flight 25+ years ago). My wing was also significantly lightened by using the diagonal capstrips and hot-wiring the foam out (I made a top/bottom template for this and assembled the sheeting before applying to the cores). Awesome flying design, one change I'd make today would be to add a rudder and dual aileron servos to get snap flaps. Oh, and most of us used the hard-to-find, 2" chord thin TE/aileron stock instead of what I used here, the kit ailerons are closer to the norm.
Last edited by dbarrym; Sep 30, 2019 at 07:56 PM.
Sep 30, 2019, 07:53 PM
Comparison photos with the kit version.

Barry
Sep 30, 2019, 07:54 PM
And last, airfoil comparison.

Barry
Sep 30, 2019, 09:59 PM
Old Master, New Grasshopper
Dale the designer of this was a good friend of mine, we built lots of these. Back when balsa warehouse in Hawaiian Gardens could sell you 20 airplanes worth of wood for 15 bucks. Trivia point: The airfoil is an AYS10EE if you know what that is than you know Dale Winder. I still have one in my arsenal from old the old Dale days. And yes a rudder makes these super fun, we built a bunch with em. We also put a .25 glow motor with some gear on em and they make decent sport power flyers too.
Latest blog entry: Pics
Sep 30, 2019, 10:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by toro View Post
Dale the designer of this was a good friend of mine, we built lots of these. Back when balsa warehouse in Hawaiian Gardens could sell you 20 airplanes worth of wood for 15 bucks. Trivia point: The airfoil is an AYS10EE if you know what that is than you know Dale Winder. I still have one in my arsenal from old the old Dale days. And yes a rudder makes these super fun, we built a bunch with em. We also put a .25 glow motor with some gear on em and they make decent sport power flyers too.
Oh yes I knew Dale well...we were semi-neighbors as well (he lived in La Habra, I lived in the Heights a couple miles away). If you flew with Dale in the early 80's-mid 90's then we've probably met and/or flown together at some point. Funny you mention Superior as this plane was very much built from the scrap pile there, I used to sort through piles of cutoffs and 'slightly less than kit quality' looking stock to get contest weight wood to use for pennies. Still have a couple boxes of sheeting and the like, i shudder to think of the cost to buy it now.

And yes LOL to the airfoil selection (and template)... mine was 11EEE.

Barry
Sep 30, 2019, 10:30 PM
We probably did. My name is Jeremy, the other guy we flew with was Marshall. Flew @ YLRCSA for years. We were teenagers back then, but had a blast with Dale. We'd go to his woodshop @ the high school to cut cores on the table saw. We'd get him doing some funny things and get him laughing. That was a laugh to remember. Do you still have the template ?
Latest blog entry: Pics
Sep 30, 2019, 10:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by toro View Post
We probably did. My name is Jeremy, the other guy we flew with was Marshall. Flew @ YLRCSA for years. We were teenagers back then, but had a blast with Dale. We'd go to his woodshop @ the high school to cut cores on the table saw. We'd get him doing some funny things and get him laughing. That was a laugh to remember.
For sure Marshall rings a bell. I flew a bunch with the Gryphon crew (Ron and Mitch Neal) and was one of the first to play with pitcherons at Yorba Linda (had Pivots, Rotors, V-maxes, etc) and also my own design Kestrel and Peregrine 3m and 2m bagged slope racers, if that rings a bell. Fun fact...I owned a house on Rimcrest from 1999-2009, just to be close to the slope.

cheers,

Barry
Last edited by dbarrym; Oct 06, 2019 at 12:25 AM.
Oct 01, 2019, 08:40 AM
I do recall your name, probably would remember you. Marshall is a 20,000 hour commercial pilot now, just got back from flying his C170 with him in Wa. state. Models lead to great things !
Last edited by toro; Oct 01, 2019 at 09:00 AM.
Oct 01, 2019, 10:28 AM
A mate and I had Gigolos years ago, they were great for inverted hovering and touching the fin down! Pretty slow and light, almost the ‘80s Ahi!
Oct 01, 2019, 02:34 PM
Thread OP
Thank You all, special Barry for the good information's!

I get already an contact to somebody, who sell me an untouched kit. Thats perfect for me, because i like to build, and the shipping is also easier and not so expansive.
Oct 01, 2019, 02:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungustl View Post
Thank You all, special Barry for the good information's!

I get already an contact to somebody, who sell me an untouched kit. Thats perfect for me, because i like to build, and the shipping is also easier and not so expansive.
Great, happy to help and good luck w/ your Gigolo build - please post pics here when you get it done.

Barry

Quick Reply