Sep 30, 2019, 03:31 AM
My name is Tom
Thread OP
Help!

Any info out there about rewinding mass produced 540 motors?

I've recently installed both a 27T and a 55T motor in my scale crawler, the result being one is too fast and the other is too slow. Therefore, instead of messing about, and also because I like to mess about, I was wondering if there was any info out there about rewinding factory produced 540 brushed motors.

I want to experiment with that mid-point at around 35-45 turns so are there any guides about wire selection, winding methods etc?

Cheers,
Tom.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 30, 2019, 05:30 PM
I fancy having a go as well so if you do find a reference for turns to gauge ratio please share it ,otherwise you could look at the gauge of wire in your two motors and order some wire that's between those gauges and see how many winds you can get on .
I've rewound small outrunner brushless motors but only like for like , the one thing to look at if experimenting is to be sure you're not overlapping into the space for the next winding , when you do the first one its easy to not leave enough space to wind the others .
Oct 01, 2019, 11:55 AM
I did that as a kid in the 80's. You can do it. Just take note of how they are wound when you unwind them and rewind in the same directions and terminations with your choice of turns.

If you want to add turns you need thinner wire and if you want to reduce turns you can use thicker wire. Measure the old one and search for "enameled copper wire" to find replacement wire.
Oct 04, 2019, 07:32 AM
My name is Tom
Thread OP
I stripped my 27T and 55T motors down the other day and had a good look at the windings. The windings, in comparison to my efforts with brushless motors, are relatively simple so I'll just take some photos for reference and give it a shot.
I measured up the wires in both my 27T and my 55T and they are 0.55-0.60mm and 0.45mm respectively.

I have some winding wire in the garage in 0.44mm, 0.48mm and 0.53mm diameter. Therefore, and I'm thinking of doing a 41T motor, I will use the 0.53mm wire for the job.

I will take some before and after photos to show my efforts.

Tom.
Oct 07, 2019, 10:59 AM
Good luck and have fun , let us know the result , you might try balancing it when wound as well .
Oct 16, 2019, 05:34 AM
My name is Tom
Thread OP
Gave it a crack last night, stripped my 55T motor and wound on 41 turns of new wire. The wires always start off neat but get crowded and a bit messy towards the end. Some superglue to secure the windings and it works.

I had previously measured the rpm of my 27T and the 55T, as it was, both with timing optimised to my liking.

27T = 12,820rpm @ 5V
55T = 5484rpm @ 5V
41T = 8070rpm @ 5V (theoretical 9152rpm)

Not bad for a first time!

Tom.

Oct 16, 2019, 07:57 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
Sounds pretty good, and I aways respect people who get creative and try different things.
Latest blog entry: For the love of the hobby!
Oct 18, 2019, 01:01 PM
Looks tidy to me , well done ! , I've done a few tiny micro heli BL motor rewinds , its very fiddly I'll tell you ! A 540 sounds like a challenge I'd like to try myself .
Oct 21, 2019, 06:13 AM
My name is Tom
Thread OP
Cheers fellas. I'll probably give it another go at a later date.

Tom.
Nov 02, 2019, 03:27 PM
You've inspired me to have a go , I've got a couple of strippable motors that I've toasted so I've ordered some 1.25mm wire and I'm looking at a 17 turn sporty wind and a 14 turn screamer , the two motors I have are a 19 and 21 turn both with maybe 0.9 or 1mm wire , should be a giggle .
Yesterday, 03:20 AM
My name is Tom
Thread OP
Did you have any luck with it?

Tom.
Today, 12:08 PM
I did have a go but the 1.25 mm wire was too thick and I could only get 13 turns on just , much too low for a buggy but I bench tested it , not high revving at all and the windings came loose and it locked up , bit of a disaster really , I'll get some 0.9 mm wire and try again .

Quick Reply