Sep 28, 2019, 05:15 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Notice something different

Somewhere around 204-2005, when the Great planes Mini Super Sportster came out, I bought one. Originally it had the stock can motor and flew well. A couple years later I put a 480 brushless outrunner in it, that turned it into a beast. It was probably the fastest climbing plane at our field, being able to climb almost out of sight in a couple of seconds. I did something stupid at a local flyin and did some miner damage to it and it set there while I worked on other projects. After a few years a friend needed a 480 motor and the esc for it, so those got sold.

A couple of days ago I was looking at the Sportster and got to thinking I had another Big Mig .061 in my box of small engines. This it the results. Working up the motor mount wasn't too hard, getting a one ounce tank in took a little more work and head scratching. The engine install is now complete. I still lack ordering four servos and a battery for it. The original designed weight was 22 to 24 ounces, it weighed a little more with the hot rod setup. Right now it weighs 16 ounces. The four servos, reciever and battery should add around 2.5 ounces, so the weight should end up between 19 and 20 ounces.

You see a lot of glow planes being converted to electric these days. It seems as I get older I care less and less for electric planes, this is my way of fighting back. Hopefully it will fly in a couple of weeks. At 19.5 ounces and 276 sq.in. area, it should fly good.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 28, 2019, 06:58 PM
Nitro User
Nice Allen what prop is on the nose?
Sep 28, 2019, 09:11 PM
Thread OP
A 6x3 Cox black.
Sep 29, 2019, 11:25 AM
Pro Hoarder
looks great to me!
Latest blog entry: In flight
Oct 06, 2019, 07:33 PM
Thread OP
The servos arrived earlier that I expected for the Mini Super Sportster EP glow conversion. Today I got in two flights on it and it flew great. The Norvel or NV .061 in the nose doesn't quite pull as good as the one in my Honker, a friend picked it up used and we don't know how it was treated. The little Sportster still managed to ROG off our grass runway, ever with its 1 1/2 wheels and wheel pants. It flew really nice, with lots of rolls, spins, loops and hammerheads. It even landed well on the grass and looked real pretty taxing back.. I think I'll enjoy it much more than I did as an electric.

e
Oct 06, 2019, 07:42 PM
Nitro User
Great to hear you enjoyed the engine could go with the .074 if you want
a jump up in power. To me the plane seems a bit big for the .061.
Oct 06, 2019, 09:05 PM
Thread OP
I don't know, it got off of grass in fifty feet or so and climbs pretty good and it was running a little rich. The only reason I would go to an .074 would be the extra weight, as the extra weight would come with more power. The plane came out at a little under 20 ounces, but the .061 isn't any where near as heavy as either of the electric motors originally in it, so I ended up adding two ounces of weight to the nose, weight for nothing. At least some of that weight would be adding power with an .074 and you really can't have too much power. It would just go from having good power to more power than necessary.
Oct 06, 2019, 10:30 PM
Pro Hoarder
Do you know which version NV you have? AME or Big Mig. quite a bit of difference in performance
Latest blog entry: In flight
Oct 07, 2019, 07:43 AM
Thread OP
It's a Big Mig, just don't if it's an Nv or a Norvel as they look identical.
Oct 15, 2019, 07:10 PM
That's very cool. It looks like it was made to suit that engine.
Oct 15, 2019, 07:35 PM
A man with a plan
Are you still using the black Cox 6x3? Seems like a hard prop would give it a significant boost.
Oct 18, 2019, 07:33 AM
Thread OP
Yes, still using the Cox 6x3 at this point. I wanted to see how it faired on our grass field with it's small wheels and wheel pants first. It hasn't flipped on landing so far so I may change out the prop with an APC soon. As is it still does pretty good, though not turning the rpm the Norvel Big Mig .061 on my Honker does, using the same fuel and prop. Last Sunday, with a slight headwind, it got off the grass in less than thirty feet.
Oct 18, 2019, 02:19 PM
Thread OP
Ok, my buddy called and said he had to perform a wedding Sunday, so could we fly this morning. I grabbed a few planes, including the Mini Super Sportster and headed to the field. Before leaving, I went through my 1/2A box and retrieved a 6x3 APC prop that I had checked balance on and used sometime in the past. At the field I changed props and flew the little Sportster. It didn't fly any better, maybe not quite as good. When I came home I decided to do some checking. With the APC 6x3 prop, the best I could get out of the Big Mig was aroundt 15,000 rpm. I reinstalled the black 6x3 flexible prop and it went up to 15800. Just as a double check I removes the 6x3 off my Honker. It turned 16800 rpm. The Big Mig .061 on my Honker, the one with at least 200 flights that was broken in as Sig suggested, with that prop and the same fuel, turns 18500 set as I fly it, 19000 if I peak it all the way out. As I said, this engine simply doesn't produce the power of my other Norvel Big Mig .061s. The funny thing though, was that it turned more rpms with either flexible black 6x3 prop than it did with the APC 6x3. I would have thought otherwise. The engine in the Sportster has been run before how much and how I don't know, but is still a little tight and sometimes sticks at top dead center. In time, it may loosen up and get better.
Oct 18, 2019, 04:53 PM
Nitro User
A ridged prop pays off at higher rpms in flight and holds it's original pitch.

I like using a APC 4.2x4 for a few tanks to break in the Norvels. .049 - .061
Ran a bit rich, the up side is the extra rpm will loosen it up faster.
Oct 19, 2019, 06:26 AM
Thread OP
That's what's strange, in this case the ridged APC prop isn't turning more rpm, in flight or static. The reason I checked the the rpm on the different props when I got home from flying was that the APC was turning less rpm in flight, with the same needle setting, slightly rich of peak.

Quick Reply