Suspended Account
Thread OP
Discussion

RC jets costs $35,000 to $70,000 ?

I was reading other RC forums and came to know that a big RC jet costs $35,000
to remove ads between posts
Sep 28, 2019, 04:43 AM
jofro
Quite easily, some modelers go to extremes. It is all relative, the more disposable income you have the more you can spend on the RC toys.
There are even individuals, who spend hundreds of millions for a full size ones, so what's 50 grand for a RC model?
Sep 28, 2019, 06:18 AM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jofro
Quite easily, some modelers go to extremes. It is all relative, the more disposable income you have the more you can spend on the RC toys.
There are even individuals, who spend hundreds of millions for a full size ones, so what's 50 grand for a RC model?
Top class Jeep SUV "Cherokee" costs $40,000 to $90,000. You can drive 20,000 miles comfortably in Jeep SUVs. RC jets are big and high tech toys to play with.
Sep 28, 2019, 07:09 AM
OP, so what's your point?
Sep 28, 2019, 07:14 AM
The ability to buy big models doesn't mean the ability to (safely) fly those models. Just like 'Doctor Killer' full-scale aircraft, guys buy planes beyond their skill level.

BTW, this is why I'm concerned when I see a club hot-shot do something wild. He may have the skills to pull it off, but not the guys who try to imitate him. They're the ones who dig smoking holes.

CD
Sep 28, 2019, 07:18 AM
I would not be surprised if it was costing over $100,000 US for some of these RC jets nowadays. Those huge monster four to eight jet engine models have to be be very expensive.
Sep 28, 2019, 09:49 AM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFM
OP, so what's your point?
Look at these Jeep SUVs. https://www.jeep.com/grand-cherokee.html

Maximum price $90,000. Big muscle SUV cars that drive on any off roads
Sep 28, 2019, 10:05 AM
Still wondering what's the point of this thread.

If you have the money, it doesn't matter.
For me, a thousand bucks is a lot for a RC plane, but I know guys that spend 5 times that much or more on one plane & they aren't rich by any stretch.

Simply a matter of what your priorities are.
Sep 28, 2019, 10:07 AM
You can also get RC jets (ducted fans) for $150-$200, and turbines (which require separate permitting) for $2-3K. As with most hobbies, there's what most people do, and then there are the extremes.
Sep 28, 2019, 10:09 AM
BTW, it's generally not advisable to start out with ducted fans. Learn with a high wing prop-driven trainer.
Sep 28, 2019, 10:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachM
Look at these Jeep SUVs. https://www.jeep.com/grand-cherokee.html

Maximum price $90,000. Big muscle SUV cars that drive on any off roads
So what? You have a problem with how much money others want to spend?
Sounds like an agenda.
Sep 28, 2019, 10:25 AM
Watching You Tube, it amazes me what huge, complex, and costly models are built, flown and maintained by individuals and groups, especially the Europeans . I sometimes wonder if they are sponsored by aerospace companies and provided machined and electro-mechanical components. It also amazes me to see groups flying ten or more large, complex expensive warbirds in a "gaggle" often with mid-air collisions. Public fascination with airplane crashes explains the hundreds of videos of models crashing. My own models are smaller and less expensive, limited by my designing and building skills, building and storage space and lack of ego or whatever it takes to "go big" and impress others.

My advice to would-be RC model flyers is to spend some time reading through the various forums on RC Groups, get familiar with chargers, batteries, power systems, RC systems and types of models being built and flown currently. To get started properly, you should join a good club with people that will mentor you and help you in joining AMA, registering with FAA, and choosing the type of model, RC system, battery packs and support equipment that you will need. You will also need ground and flight instruction to help assure that your first model survives it's maiden flight and many more flights while you learn piloting skills. You need to understand basic aerodynamics, setup of a model for flight, charging of batteries , safe flying practices and "field etiquette". A few people get started "on the cheap" and teach themselves to fly with limited success, many get discouraged and quit .
Sep 28, 2019, 10:48 AM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFM
So what? You have a problem with how much money others want to spend?
Sounds like an agenda.
Jeep SUVs are big cars with high tech engineering that will drive you 20,000 miles in one journey.
Sep 28, 2019, 10:53 AM
Quote:
Jeep SUVs are big cars with high tech engineering that will drive you 20,000 miles in one journey.
I have a 1988 Ford F-150 that will do the same thing.
It's beginning to sound like you need to tear yourself from your cell phone computer and go outside for a look at what the real world is doing.
Sep 28, 2019, 11:14 AM
Bombs away! Err...landing
Quote:
Any decent car will do that, though. I'm not sure I'd trust a VW to do it, but anything else. Though, you're well past the oil change interval for anything except electrics.

Quick Reply