Sep 27, 2019, 03:00 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Replacing compression springs on Cheddar Puffin

Greetings.

I have a Cheddar Puffin oscillating steam motor that needs to have the compression springs replaced. Having never done so, I thought I'd reach out for advise and direction on the complexity of this process. It appears as though removing the two bolts holding the bracket that holds the springs in place on the cylinders will allow the springs to be freed and removed. Hopefully, I attached a photo illustrating my thoughts. This is my first thread.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Tim
to remove ads between posts
Sep 28, 2019, 05:24 PM
Replacing the springs is easy. Remove those two bolts, then carefully pull the bracket holding the cylinders away. Be careful not to mark the paint.
The question is, do you have the suitable replacement springs? If not, you can buy them from Clevedon Steam, they still make Cheddar parts:
https://www.clevedonsteam.co.uk/prod...0pack%20of%203
Sep 28, 2019, 05:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoregon
Greetings.

I have a Cheddar Puffin oscillating steam motor that needs to have the compression springs replaced. Having never done so, I thought I'd reach out for advise and direction on the complexity of this process. It appears as though removing the two bolts holding the bracket that holds the springs in place on the cylinders will allow the springs to be freed and removed. Hopefully, I attached a photo illustrating my thoughts. This is my first thread.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Tim
Tim,
Why do you need to replace the springs.

George.
Sep 28, 2019, 07:47 PM
Thread OP
Thank you both for your replies. I did reach out to Jerry Watson from Clevedon Steam asking the same question which he promptly replied with a very detailed description of the process for replacing the compression springs. The reason I am considering replacing the springs is the aft cylinder has some vertical movement beyond the normal rotational pattern of the cylinder. I bought the plant used and the previous owner has never replaced the compression springs. Clevedon Steam recommends changing them every three years with a regular use. Again, thank you both for replying.

Tim
Sep 29, 2019, 04:26 PM
You should investigate that abnormal cylinder movement. Normally there is a pin in the port face which locks the cylinder in place, allowing it only to rotate.

And I do agree that springs can weaken over time. They don't cost much to replace anyway, and the engine performance could be improved.
Sep 30, 2019, 09:15 PM
Thread OP
Yes - I received the same advice from Jerry Watson to check the trunnion pins to assure they are tight. They can work loose over time. To access the trunnion pins on the aft cylinder, I'll need to remove the crank disc and follower disc and remove the crankshaft. that makes me nervous to disassemble that much. We'll see if I'll have the nerve when the compression springs arrive. I ordered them today. Thank you again for your comments.
Oct 07, 2019, 07:17 AM
You're welcome! It really is easy to disassemble a Cheddar Puffin engine and also to reassemble it, so don't worry too much. You can also email me if you need more information.

Quick Reply