Dec 08, 2019, 07:34 PM
It's not going to build itself
I bet mine has some old Futaba 148s in it, and still working fine.
When I build a new one, I will probably get something from Aloft.
If you plan to add flaps and have full span ailerons, use the same 4 servos in the wing.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 08, 2019, 08:31 PM
Held by Grace

KA-6 servo's

Thanks Tom :
I am sure my buddy's has 148's and it was a ball to fly.
I don't think I have ever killed a 148 but will upgrade to something newer and digital when I build.

Yes: Aloft has been supplying my servo needs,I just upgraded my Thorn with some KST - DS135's and plan to do the same to a Carbon Blade that I have .
I will be doing flaps also

I love your pictures and video from Los Banos , what a great place to fly these the big birds in formation .

I am thinking that it should be getting close to receiving a Big box of foam in the mail ...
Dec 09, 2019, 09:20 AM
Thanks, I love Banos!
I have two KA’s i need to rehab.
Dec 09, 2019, 11:57 AM
Held by Grace

Teal

I think I saw pictures of one of yours with what looked like a teal color trim.
Was that covering or paint ?
It was sharp

You need to get those birds rehabed ,maybe bring them out to The Midwest challenge in Kansas next year.
Maybe they would do a separate class if we had enough of them , it would be Epic to have a gaggle of them blasting around the pins all at the same time
Dec 09, 2019, 12:12 PM
Held by Grace
Hey Mark :
I have used Corona -929 on my Sizzle build and they are working great,I will check out the 239's

Actually -the pictures you saw on my blog are of the DAW 1-26 2m {and the P-51 } that I am working on.
I thought I would practice/my epp skills while waiting for Magnum to ship the KA-6

So the spars in the picture you saw are the old school basswood spars.
I believe Larry will be including Carbon wing spars in the new kit
All of Magnum [Larry's } kits are extremely well engineered
Dec 09, 2019, 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDOG1
Hey Mark :
So the spars in the picture you saw are the old school basswood spars.
I believe Larry will be including Carbon wing spars in the new kit
All of Magnum [Larry's } kits are extremely well engineered
The kit I started working on is 'skyking' version with both canopies., clear and EPP. I was planning to put carbon strips on both sides of the existing, hardwood, spar...
Dec 09, 2019, 04:13 PM
Dave was always a fan of keeping the wings semi flexible with the wood spars, he said a little wing flex was scale. Guys were adding carbon tow to the top and bottom of the wing to make them stiffer. I have personally cracked and repaired my spars in both wings over the years.
Crashes, extreme flight loads etc.
Some guys would make a shallow slit in the top and bottom of the wing and slide in a piece of tow, then hit it with thin CA. Quick and easy and it would make a noticeable difference. I never did it on mine.
Dec 09, 2019, 06:06 PM
Held by Grace

wisdom/experience speaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRISME
Dave was always a fan of keeping the wings semi flexible with the wood spars, he said a little wing flex was scale. Guys were adding carbon tow to the top and bottom of the wing to make them stiffer. I have personally cracked and repaired my spars in both wings over the years.
Crashes, extreme flight loads etc.
Some guys would make a shallow slit in the top and bottom of the wing and slide in a piece of tow, then hit it with thin CA. Quick and easy and it would make a noticeable difference. I never did it on mine.
There You go Mark - sounds like you are on the right track.....
especially if you are going to "Fly it like you stole it "
Dec 09, 2019, 06:20 PM
Quote:
There You go Mark - sounds like you are on the right track.....
especially if you are going to "Fly it like you stole it "
My idea came up after seeing a video of close formation flying at Los Banos . It looked like any second it could have turned into a impromptu combat.

Since we are (or I'm) on the subject of a few mods. What length flaps vs length of ailerons ? I know I can program a mix for using flaps, but since I'm still at a stage where I can modify...
Dec 09, 2019, 06:44 PM
Thread OP
Hey guys the only mod that i am doing on the
Ka 6 is the split fuselage everything else is
Is as designed by Dave including the basswood wing spars.

Larry
Dec 09, 2019, 08:50 PM
Held by Grace

My bad

Sorry for the misinformation Larry
Basswood spars

BTW : I rediscovered my block plane for trimming down the basswood spars and trailing edges on my DAW 1-26 and P-51 build { on my blog }
It really is a must have tool on your work bench , makes shavings instead of dust
Dec 09, 2019, 11:14 PM
F3Foamie Pilot
Basswood spars on the KA-6 is the way to go.

Carbon spars just wouldn't have the torsional strength with that wing.

Newer isn't always better.

Having said that, the carbon spar system on my NCFM Bluto has phenomenal torsional strength. Ground breaking.
Dec 10, 2019, 04:21 PM
Quote:
I think I saw pictures of one of yours with what looked like a teal color trim.
Was that covering or paint ?
It was sharp

You need to get those birds rehabed ,maybe bring them out to The Midwest challenge in Kansas next year.
Maybe they would do a separate class if we had enough of them , it would be Epic to have a gaggle of them blasting around the pins all at the same time
Yes it was Teal ultracote. I need to get to work on mine. Itís been far too long since they flew.
Last edited by TRISME; Dec 19, 2019 at 08:57 PM.
Dec 10, 2019, 04:46 PM
More Pile-it than Pilot
I can't seem to find the pictures of mine flying, but here is a picture of it on the ground in Wilson, Kansas with my 2 meter S-126
Mark
Dec 10, 2019, 05:34 PM
Held by Grace

Pretty Birds !

Oh Yea !

Quick Reply