Nov 01, 2019, 12:06 AM
When did you guys order your Dragons? 10/21 here and received an email about there being a backorder status due to the "manufacturing process" back on 10/26.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 01, 2019, 09:58 AM
Aerodynamically Enhanced
There might have been different available stock between the kit and PNP. I ordered the kit on 10-21 and as noted in a previous post received it on 10-29, which astounded me. I wasn't expecting it for at least another week.

Blame Andrew's videos for depleted inventory.
Nov 01, 2019, 02:21 PM
Aerodynamically Enhanced
Decided to see if the Dragon can be an all-around workhorse FPV plane for me so after crunching numbers and looking at several options did decide to go with the SS X2216 1800kv motors with 6x6 counter-rotating APC props. Battery will be 4S. FC will be an F405 Wing. Still trying to decide on Ardupilot or iNav but am leaning toward iNav.

There are obviously lots of motor/prop options that would work but this is the combo I settled on for what I would consider a solid combination for fast cruising and strong vertical, such as for climbing mountains. Should be strong and reliable.

The motors being so long look a little out of scale for the smaller frame. Shorter would look better. The area around the mount isn't very aerodynamic either.

Whipped up a motor cover this morning to smooth the airflow. Looks a lot better. Top and bottom are still open for lots of airflow. Will probably just tack them in place with some UHU. Love having a 3D printer. Pictures are kind of crappy but there will be better ones later when the plane is actually built.

Ordered the pictured wheels off Ebay from a U.S. seller for $10. Aluminum hub with bearing. Smallest rubber DuBro main wheels I could find are 1.75". Should work well.
Nov 01, 2019, 02:45 PM
TheWizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterGriffin
When did you guys order your Dragons? 10/21 here and received an email about there being a backorder status due to the "manufacturing process" back on 10/26.
I ordered mine from Geekbuying on Sep 13th right when they listed it. Took about 2 weeks to arrive. Geekbuying was the first to list it for sale, and the first to ship. They were shipping before banggood even listed it on their site.
Nov 01, 2019, 05:36 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by XionUAV
Decided to see if the Dragon can be an all-around workhorse FPV plane for me so after crunching numbers and looking at several options did decide to go with the SS X2216 1800kv motors with 6x6 counter-rotating APC props. Battery will be 4S. FC will be an F405 Wing. Still trying to decide on Ardupilot or iNav but am leaning toward iNav.

There are obviously lots of motor/prop options that would work but this is the combo I settled on for what I would consider a solid combination for fast cruising and strong vertical, such as for climbing mountains. Should be strong and reliable.

The motors being so long look a little out of scale for the smaller frame. Shorter would look better. The area around the mount isn't very aerodynamic either.

Whipped up a motor cover this morning to smooth the airflow. Looks a lot better. Top and bottom are still open for lots of airflow. Will probably just tack them in place with some UHU. Love having a 3D printer. Pictures are kind of crappy but there will be better ones later when the plane is actually built.

Ordered the pictured wheels off Ebay from a U.S. seller for $10. Aluminum hub with bearing. Smallest rubber DuBro main wheels I could find are 1.75". Should work well.

Hope you're power combo works out for you. I too am looking for a sweet-all-arounder.
My miniTalon is getting too heavy to land in smaller local parks.

Mine is on backorder now?
Latest blog entry: My FAVORITE FPV CockPits'!!!!
Nov 01, 2019, 07:59 PM
Aerodynamically Enhanced
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclab1
Hope you're power combo works out for you. I too am looking for a sweet-all-arounder.
My miniTalon is getting too heavy to land in smaller local parks.

Mine is on backorder now?
Could always do a VTOL MT. Saw a guy with a tail-sitter FX-61 and got all jacked to build one out of an FX-79. Ordered two of them and they're still in their boxes. Story of my life.

I know a lot of guys get really serious about eeking out every drop of efficiency with combos but I just try to ballpark something for my purposes and usually do ok. It will be interesting to see how other pilots set this one up for their purposes since I suspect the plane's performance can vary quite a bit.
Nov 05, 2019, 12:03 AM
Aerodynamically Enhanced
The wheels I referenced a few posts up were crap for a few reasons. Sent them back. Went with Du-Bro Low Bounce 1.75". Added some trail to the back of the new mount to make it a little more aerodynamic. The Low Bounce is only slightly taller than the other 1.5" wheels so no big deal. Also think I'll install a tail wheel instead of a skid to help keep vibration down when landing on asphalt. The nice thing about the solo wheel is it also increases prop ground clearance. Stock clearance is ok but more is always better.

Should be picking up a used Hero 7 Black pretty soon. Was hoping to get the plane finished and ready for a trip out of town this weekend but I don't think that's going to happen. Will have to see how long the weather holds over the next few weeks. Guess some of you other guys will have to take up the slack if your planes ever arrive.
Nov 07, 2019, 05:43 PM
2 more days „Flash Deal“

PNP and KIT version reduced...

Reptile Dragon
Nov 08, 2019, 09:52 AM
Aerodynamically Enhanced
And with the stout box it comes in it might even survive the Banggood shipping monkeys.
Nov 09, 2019, 07:56 AM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
XionXUV
How's the power combo coming along? Also
What size 4s Lipo are you using?
Thanks
Latest blog entry: My FAVORITE FPV CockPits'!!!!
Nov 09, 2019, 10:56 AM
Aerodynamically Enhanced
Unfortunately I got caught up in other life projects so haven't had a chance to work on it recently. But hoping to in the next week or so.
Nov 10, 2019, 11:03 AM
I jumped on one when the were 75 dollars before the reviewers posted videos. Loaded it up with 2207 1700kv motors with 7" props. Balances at 45mm with a 4000mah 4s. Auw 950g.

Wing fitment is bad on mine. Right wing twists up and left wing twists down on the main spar axis. The rear spar stops at the fuse. Not the best design for torsional rigidity.
Right elevon up 6mm gives level flight. Launching is a problem also with the amount of down thrust on the motors, i have to throw the plane nearly straight up at an 80 degree angle to avoid nose dives.

When it is up it's a good slow flying plane. Glides forever. Drag becomes a problem at higher speeds with the fat airfoils. This is no goblin.
Nov 11, 2019, 04:42 PM
Aerodynamically Enhanced
Dang. Sorry to hear yours was so screwed up. I've been pleased with mine so far with only a few niggly issues like the magnet mounts weren't flat so those had to be removed and refit. Some gaps or misalignments here and there but nothing major. The plane is small enough that I'll glue the wings on.

One thing the jury is out on for me is the Hero7 gets pretty warm after awhile being in record mode just sitting on the desk. In the plane it's encased in foam. I'm thinking after a half hour it's going to be baked. Might look into making some airflow of some type.

One thing I like about fat airfoils is they tend to be more stable and handle more wing loading. Definitely not Goblin territory but should still be good for reasonably fast cruising. It will be interesting to see just how much amperage will be needed to do that.

Here's why it takes me forever to build anything. Got the motors and servos installed, forgot to braid the servo wires, had to take the servos back out, which were dabbed with glue, braided the wires, reinstalled. Was fitting a dipole to the HS but can't find my new 400mw TX's. They're in a box somewhere.

Spent all morning designing an FPV pod and never liked anything. Then decided on this route. Cut some foam out of the corner and drafted a holder. Definitely like this better. I really like this foam. Very easy to work with. The cutout is to within about 1mm of the compartment that holds the GoPro. May or may not add a taper to the back of the mount.

As a modder here's my take on this aircraft. The GoPro idea is nice given most other planes use slender action cameras. The problem is where old GoPro's could fairly easily double as FPV cameras having a standard composite video output, the newer ones can't without some adapting. So using an FPV camera is necessary but placing one in the supplied pod under the wing either behind the props or further out on the wing as designed doesn't really make sense. There should be a mount on the nose for and FPV camera.

This is where planes like the Mini Talon shine because the nose can and has been modded for a bunch of different setups. So the Dragon just is what it is. I still really like it, though. Definitely a nice break from the norm.
Nov 12, 2019, 11:22 PM
I've been looking at these but I prefer the s800 and s1100 over the looks of this bird.
Nov 14, 2019, 10:36 AM
Aerodynamically Enhanced
There's no doubt the Dragon isn't for everyone. At first glance it looks like it's missing the horizontal stabilizer. Eventually I'll extend the one on mine to look more like the DW Hobby Light(n)ing, just because.

The Harrier or S1100 is a neat little wing but it's a different concept from planks. Especially a twin tractor plank.

Also rear prop anything is usually much louder than front prop anything unless the airflow is tapered to the props like an Opterra, or a modded FX-61. Also keep in mind that larger wingspans are generally more stable. Small wings like the S800 are ok in very calm air but can get pretty twitchy otherwise. Fine for fast-ish quick jaunts but pretty monotonous for longer flights.

Quick Reply