Jan 11, 2020, 11:55 PM
ESC cover just finished and appears to be spot on!
to remove ads between posts
Jan 12, 2020, 12:35 AM
Aerodynamically Enhanced
Glad to hear it. The print of the servo cover I just did matches the cover dimensions and hole locations perfectly on my servo covers so not sure what to tell you there. However, somehow I mis-measured the length of the pointed part so I fixed that as well as spelled servo correctly (seriously need a new prescription) and replaced the file in the original post.
Jan 12, 2020, 08:28 AM
Complicating things
got some 6*4*3 DAL 6 inch props.
will it fit reptile dragon with Emax 2206 2300kv motors?
Jan 12, 2020, 10:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karamba
got some 6*4*3 DAL 6 inch props.
will it fit reptile dragon with Emax 2206 2300kv motors?
Should be fine with 3s might pull to much amp on 4s
Jan 12, 2020, 11:37 AM
Aerodynamically Enhanced
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclab1

P.S.
Is there anyway we can shim (angle) the motor mount a certain way so it
does not "dip" after hand launching?
I never felt like I answered this question adequately and a recent post by my good friend Mark Q. in the MT thread was a good explanation of why designs like this dip after launch. He made a PDF illustration and attached it at the bottom of this post.

Basically it has to do with the same old issue of motors that are place above or below with the vertical CG or center-line of an aircraft. Motors located above the center-line tend to rotate the aircraft over forward. The only way to have no rotation or dip at launch is for the motors to be in line with the vertical CG, which is usually closer to the battery since that's were most of the mass of a model aircraft resides. The motors on the Dragon are above the battery or center-line of the aircraft so it's pulled over forward until enough air is passing over the wing and control surfaces to counteract the rotation. Once in flight the rotational pull is inconsequential.

The design issue is if the motors are put inline with the fuselage then the props extend below the fuselage requiring landing gear or folding props for a belly lander. So the Dragon is a good compromise of motor location and prop clearance. The dip at launch is just an unavoidable characteristic of the design. A properly setup flight controller can make this a non-issue during launch, however.
Jan 12, 2020, 11:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_o
Thanks, 79mAh/km @4S is OK, but both my Mini Talon and 1340mm Skywalker Falcon Wing can do better. The wind was reasonably calm, and the plane is around xxx-editing-xxx.

The distance was calculated in the mission planner, but you will also get a flight summary from mavlink (OSD) at the end of the flight. Or you can set the OSD up to show accumulated distance flown. You may also be able to get it from the log file, but I haven't really tried that.
The effeciency also depends on the weight and the device attached. I realize I have several devices that consume a lot of power. What is your aircraft weight and if you use an FPV transmitter? Mine could'nt reach below 100 mah/km
Jan 12, 2020, 11:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclab1
^
Only if the HereLinkHD RC Controller had a HDMI-out to plug in FPV goggles I sure would get it.
FPVing through a monitor is soo 8yrs ago..lolol
I prefer use screen as FPV! Herelink will have some updates soon, just enjoy and waiting
Jan 13, 2020, 07:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by XionUAV
Glad to hear it. The print of the servo cover I just did matches the cover dimensions and hole locations perfectly on my servo covers so not sure what to tell you there. However, somehow I mis-measured the length of the pointed part so I fixed that as well as spelled servo correctly (seriously need a new prescription) and replaced the file in the original post.
I just wanted to thank you again for your swift and efficient work in modeling up those servo and ESC covers. That hole on the servo cover I mentioned before is definitely off just a bit, but it's close enough to get a screw to bite in.

Again, truly appreciate the help and assistance on this, above and beyond!
Jan 13, 2020, 10:33 AM
Aerodynamically Enhanced
You're very welcome. I enjoy helping out other hobbyists when I can.

It's hard to know why the one hole is just slightly off on yours. I triple and quadruple measured the CF cover on mine again especially after mis-translating the length of the pointed side the first time and what I designed does match the stock CF cover exactly. Just the length of that one side was slightly short to start with. That side of the servo mount is floating so I suspect it was simply tweaked slightly when the mount was pushed and glued into the opening at the factory.

You may not have read this further back but I had to remove and reinstall the magnetic rear hatch assembly on mine because it was poorly installed. Overall it's a really nicely manufactured aircraft save for a few obvious design flaws. It can be hit and miss sometimes when you have low-paid Chinese workers slamming out product for clients.

Recently I finally removed from the box an FX-61 purchased 3 years ago as a spare to my main one. Planned to use it in a tail-sitter VTOL project. Pulled the second wing out of the bubble wrap to test fit the mirror-reverse nacelle for the "other" wing and it was the wrong wing. Couldn't figure out what was going on at first then it became obvious.

Yep. Two right wings. Zeta Science Ltd. apparently went out of business sometime in 2016 so no help there. Ended up purchasing two more FX-61's to make sure I had a good one and a spare. And of course now I have a few extra parts. I'm just glad there were still a few of these out there because like many cool planes that were made, once they're gone they're gone.

I joked with a flying buddy that sometimes this hobby sucks money almost as fast as a boat. Just the way it goes sometimes. Fortunately I don't have a boat as well.
Jan 13, 2020, 10:39 AM
I was laughing in the midst of our back and forth conversation while you were designing the covers and I was crudely trying to do the same. I had just printed your version of the servo cover, and it looked extremely similar to the version I had designed and just printed. We both got that angle wrong the exact same way. The only difference between the two was my cutout had square corners and yours had a radius. We both must have measured (incorrectly) on that point? I should post a pic later.

I did find that they shorted me 3 of the covers screws as well. The humanity!!! Thanks again!
Jan 13, 2020, 01:28 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Quote:
Originally Posted by XionUAV
You're very welcome. I enjoy helping out other hobbyists when I can.

It's hard to know why the one hole is just slightly off on yours. I triple and quadruple measured the CF cover on mine again especially after mis-translating the length of the pointed side the first time and what I designed does match the stock CF cover exactly. Just the length of that one side was slightly short to start with. That side of the servo mount is floating so I suspect it was simply tweaked slightly when the mount was pushed and glued into the opening at the factory.

You may not have read this further back but I had to remove and reinstall the magnetic rear hatch assembly on mine because it was poorly installed. Overall it's a really nicely manufactured aircraft save for a few obvious design flaws. It can be hit and miss sometimes when you have low-paid Chinese workers slamming out product for clients.

Recently I finally removed from the box an FX-61 purchased 3 years ago as a spare to my main one. Planned to use it in a tail-sitter VTOL project. Pulled the second wing out of the bubble wrap to test fit the mirror-reverse nacelle for the "other" wing and it was the wrong wing. Couldn't figure out what was going on at first then it became obvious.

Yep. Two right wings. Zeta Science Ltd. apparently went out of business sometime in 2016 so no help there. Ended up purchasing two more FX-61's to make sure I had a good one and a spare. And of course now I have a few extra parts. I'm just glad there were still a few of these out there because like many cool planes that were made, once they're gone they're gone.

I joked with a flying buddy that sometimes this hobby sucks money almost as fast as a boat. Just the way it goes sometimes. Fortunately I don't have a boat as well.
OOps. Moral of the story is open up new arrivals to make sure everything (major at least) is there then put away for that rainy day...
Jan 13, 2020, 09:29 PM
Aerodynamically Enhanced
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic
OOps. Moral of the story is open up new arrivals to make sure everything (major at least) is there then put away for that rainy day...
Which is exactly what I did. Two wings, two stabilizers, a fuselage and hatch cover all in bubble wrap with no damage all taped together and neatly secured to the inside of the box. So I put the lid back on and put it on the shelf.

No logical reason to actually pull all the individual pieces out of the box and lay them out to make sure it included the correct wings for each side. To sometimes expect missing hardware or minor damage? Sure. To expect a manufacturer to make a screw-up so major as to ship two wings for the same side? No one who isn't exceptionally paranoid expects or looks for something like that. It was just unlucky that I had opened the other box first.
Jan 14, 2020, 03:13 PM
Just a couple of photos for interest. Swapped out for a pair of ReadyToSky 2205 2300KV motors and Gemfan 6042 props.

I have a Matek F411-WSE flight controller mated up to a R9MM receiver with F.Port and passing telemetry back and forth. Need to get the plane wired for the basics first for a maiden, though.

Pardon the messy bench, Pinewood Derby is underway, so sawdust and graphite are in the air!
Jan 22, 2020, 03:17 PM
I got a couple of long overdue maiden flights done at weekend the Mini skyhunter and the inav 680 batwing, and the last of the FPV bits have arrived for the dragon so should get that fitted this weekend, and then hope for good weather to do dragon maiden
Jan 31, 2020, 12:24 PM
Complicating things
am i the only one, who dve to load nose with 150g of lead to reach CG?

Quick Reply