Sep 26, 2019, 03:48 AM
Fly,crash,glue,repeat!
Thread OP
Discussion

New Reptile DRAGON 1200 twin motor FPV wing

Just spotted this from Reptile.Available as PNP or kit.

Looks interesting.

2019 New Reptile DRAGON 1200 Wingspan 1200mm FPV Flying Wing EPP Foam Support Runcam GoPro FPV Camera KIT PNP
REPTILE - DRAGON-1200

Wingspan:1200mm

Length:700mm

Weight:400 grams(Without electronic equipment)

Radio:4 channels with elevon mixing

Servo:9 grams*2

Battery:3300mah-5300mah 3S-4S

ESC:30A-40A

Motor:2205/2300KV

Prop:6045

CG:48mm behine the wing

Material:EPP foam

FPV cam:runcam/1177/1190

(The camera has multiple installation locations to choose from)

GoPro pistion:GoPro 5/6/7 can be installed in the head

Packing size:470mm*340mm*220mm

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000165385719.html
to remove ads between posts
Sep 29, 2019, 02:23 AM
Hi All,
Finally found a YT link to the Reptile Dragon flying:
REPTILE DRAGON-1200 (0 min 48 sec)

Any review units out there?
Very much interested in this twin engine set up.
Would be nice a to see a close up or even an unboxing video.

Regards,
AeroR
Oct 01, 2019, 04:17 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
Cool.
Looks like a twin-motor-PLANK.
Latest blog entry: My FAVORITE FPV CockPits'!!!!
Oct 20, 2019, 08:31 PM
Reptile Dragon Twin Motor FPV Plank - Review and Assembly (13 min 2 sec)
Oct 22, 2019, 03:32 PM
Whoa……it flies
Maiden in 10kn wind - CG needs to go forward to about 40mm

Reptile Dragon Twin Motor FPV Plank - Maiden (8 min 38 sec)
Oct 22, 2019, 03:33 PM
Whoa……it flies
Smoother flights in 5kn wind - Stabiliser removed

Taming the Dragon (13 min 28 sec)
Oct 22, 2019, 07:12 PM
Wow, those bullnose props. It would be APCs for me straight off.

Looks like it has potential to fly without much aero drag. Looking forward to seeing some amp draw figures when they come in.
Oct 23, 2019, 02:41 AM
Fly,crash,glue,repeat!
Thread OP
Nice work Andrew.I`ve added this model to the Reptile/AR Wing FB group too.
Oct 23, 2019, 10:34 AM
You're killin' me Smalls
Interesting
Oct 23, 2019, 10:55 AM
Andrew.
Any reflex added to the elevons to fly level?
Oct 23, 2019, 02:28 PM
Whoa……it flies
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclab1
Andrew.
Any reflex added to the elevons to fly level?
Not needed. The reflexed airfoil seems well designed.
Oct 28, 2019, 07:12 PM
Aerodynamically Enhanced
I have one on the way. Was going to convert a DW Hobby Light(n)ing to twins but never did and then saw Andrew's video of the Dragon and ordered one.

Big plank fan and bigger twin fan. Have two Strix Goblins as well and have been trying to get a Zulu, which Aloft may or may not carry again, and a North County Machines M60 which is supposedly being restocked.

No slope soaring in my area but have extra GoPro's collecting dust so looking forward to using them with the Dragon. Got the kit version because I like to use high-quality components and speedy battery/motor/prop combos. Winter's here though and several other projects are only partially completed so who knows when it will get built.

One thing I'd really like to try on this plank is a Pitch Dampener. I envision it as a small, passive horizontal stabilizer extended on a detachable CF tube out the back maybe 10cm. The PD would act as a vertical brake to soften pitch movements when flying through unstable air. Mainly it would be for making fast FPV a little more stable while not adding additional active control surfaces. At least that's the theory.
Oct 28, 2019, 08:39 PM
TheWizard
Maiden flight! I like it so far. A few minor tweaks and it will be an excellent flyer.

Reptile Dragon 1200 Twin Plank Maiden Flight FPV (8 min 31 sec)
Oct 28, 2019, 11:58 PM
Aerodynamically Enhanced
Very nice. In your video description it says the video wasn't stabilized but after viewing a few seconds it was pretty obvious that it was. Your description says you're using a GoPro 7. When I looked at the GoPro 7 Black webpage the first three lines read "HyperSmooth Video," "Insanely smooth video," and "Gimbal-like stabilization–without the gimbal."

They weren't kidding. That was great video. Instead of having spent probably $500 on gimbals for some of my bigger planes it would seem using the GoPro 7 at about half that would have been a better choice. It would be great on multi's as well. My current GoPro's are the 3 and 4 models plus several Mobius Mini's, Runcams and such.

You've inspired me to consider raiding my hobby jar. Best Buy has the 7 Silver for $199. Found it at a couple other sites for around $169. That's not bad considering how good the video looks with no post editing. The Black would be nicer of course but it's considerably pricier.
Last edited by XionUAV; Oct 29, 2019 at 12:23 AM.
Oct 29, 2019, 12:32 AM
TheWizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by XionUAV
Very nice. In your video description it says the video wasn't stabilized but after viewing a few seconds it was pretty obvious that it was. Your description says you're using a GoPro 7. When I looked at the GoPro 7 Black webpage the first three lines read "HyperSmooth Video," "Insanely smooth video," and "Gimbal-like stabilization–without the gimbal."

They weren't kidding. That was great video. Instead of having spent probably $500 on gimbals for some of my bigger planes it would seem using the GoPro 7 at about half that would have been a better choice. It would be great on multi's as well. My current GoPro's are the 3 and 4 models plus several Mobius Mini's, Runcams and such.

You've inspired me to consider raiding my hobby jar. Best Buy has the 7 Silver for $199. Found it at a couple other sites for around $169. That's not bad considering how good the video looks with no post editing. The Black would be nicer of course but it's considerably pricier.
No, I mean the plane wasnt using the stabilizer. It comes with one. I did not use it. The GoPro does have Hypersmooth enabled. But I see where the confusion comes from. I can clarify.

However, the plane is very smooth and stable to begin with. Hypersmooth wasnt doing a whole lot. Mainly just damping wind gusts.

Yes, Hypersmooth is awesome. It does some weird stuff on yaw you can see occasionally, but overall fan friggin tastic.

I have some other examples on my channel in much better lighting if you really want to see what it looks like. That is where the GoPros tend to fall a bit short , low light.

You can come across Hero 7's relatively cheap now that the 8 is out, but the 8 has better stabilization.

Here is the RAW fpv feed video (albeit a bum VTX) I had an iffy one and I think this is it as it was a bit noisier than typical, but not unflyable by any means. There is no video stabilization on this. You can see that the plane is quite smooth. While Hypersmooth is definitely doing its bit, its not as much as you may think in this case.

Dragon 1200 maiden RAW FPV footage (7 min 25 sec)
Last edited by IndyFPV; Oct 29, 2019 at 12:52 AM.

Quick Reply