Sep 09, 2021, 03:13 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzx
I finally get my Dragon 2, looks really nice and quite big compare to pictures... Any recommendation for glue for EEP?
Goop or E6000. Be careful though...to much will soften the foam...which can then deform and lock into the 'new' shape after the glue has cured.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 11, 2021, 02:37 AM
I use UHU Por for all my foam planes for years…..works perfectly.
Sep 11, 2021, 08:53 AM
fly it high as possible
Quote:
Originally Posted by tritan
I use UHU Por for all my foam planes for years…..works perfectly.
+1 I'm, too
Sep 22, 2021, 12:40 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Went to fly my Reptile yesterday. After having many successful launches and good flights. When I launched this time the Reptile took a drastic nose dive and by-by props. Ugggg. I've been so hit and miss on getting this thing to launch reliably. I thought I had it dialed in, but it proved me wrong.

Sigh...I think it's time to hang up this Dragon Reptile plank...and transplant the components to the Reptile Dragon V2 kit I have. It seems the 'normal' tail V2 has much better launch characteristics. I'm assuming it'll be similar to my Albabird, but with the built-in GP7 camera mount.

I do have to give credit to the Reptile foam as being durable. After many, many failed launches the foam doesn't look like it's been bashed and crashed. Sure some cracks in the foam that were easily glued up. No foam deformation though...almost looks good as new save the ground skid stains.
Sep 22, 2021, 01:04 PM
I agree that launching that plane is a bit sketchy. I still have it on INAV and launch it zero idle hard throw, works for me for now but once in a while it dips a bit before pulling up.
Sep 22, 2021, 01:58 PM
I don't understand what is a need to use autolaunch on such planes. Just add throttle and throw it. It is super easy.
Sep 22, 2021, 02:10 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Quote:
Originally Posted by brat002
I don't understand what is a need to use autolaunch on such planes. Just add throttle and throw it. It is super easy.
I use autolaunch for simplicity (getting old). It works great on my 'traditional' planes, but the Dragon seems to be its own beast...for me. Maybe I'll try skipping the autolaunch and go with stabilized mode (to keep wings level) with some up reflex for initial climb out...wouldn't hurt to try. What's another set of props if it doesn't work?
Sep 23, 2021, 09:48 AM

Dragon V2 - motor choice

Hello everyone!

I snagged the Kit version of the Dragon V2, I'm hoping to make this into a nice, easy flying fpv plane. What motor and prop combo would you guys recommend? I prefer something a little slower flying, already got my mini talon for faster fpv action. I have a lot 3S batteries laying around so anything that works with those would be handy.

The spec sheet recommends 2205 or 2306 size motors, but doesn't specify kV, I am lost on trying to figure out what to run for a slower flying cruiser. Would appreciate any help!

Cheers.
Sep 23, 2021, 03:58 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPVFatherLand
Hello everyone!

I snagged the Kit version of the Dragon V2, I'm hoping to make this into a nice, easy flying fpv plane. What motor and prop combo would you guys recommend? I prefer something a little slower flying, already got my mini talon for faster fpv action. I have a lot 3S batteries laying around so anything that works with those would be handy.

The spec sheet recommends 2205 or 2306 size motors, but doesn't specify kV, I am lost on trying to figure out what to run for a slower flying cruiser. Would appreciate any help!

Cheers.
I'm using 2212 1260kv motors with 8x4.5 props on 4S on my V1 Dragon...should be fine on 3S too. My biggest issue with the V1 has been getting a reliable launch. Sometimes it takes off just fine, other times it wants to auger into the ground. I have a V2 kit that I am getting very close to pulling out to replace the V1. The traditional tail version seems way more disciplined than the planker.
Sep 23, 2021, 04:15 PM
fly it high as possible
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPVFatherLand
. Would appreciate any help!

Cheers.
The biggest question is how to launch this bird V2. Some of my friend told he needed max effort to launch it by hand, much more than for MT.
And I'm using bungee (high start) for it. It means 3S batt would be not so powerfull for it. I'm using 5S, effectiveness is about 100 ma/km.
Sep 23, 2021, 04:19 PM
2208/2307 size motor is the smallest I would go for 7" prop. Ideally step it up from there for extra headroom and option for 8".

I'll be running 2507-1750kv and 7x4.5" next time I feel a need to tinker with the power setup, which will be cruisy with enough speed to have some fun on 4S. I think this would be fine on 3S too.
Sep 23, 2021, 05:30 PM
Thank you everyone for the replies.

I think I will run the SS 2216 1250kv, bit oversized but gives plenty of thrust, headroom and should be able to run on 3s as well as 4s. Not sure of the props though 8x4?
Sep 23, 2021, 06:04 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Quote:
Originally Posted by IL76MD
The biggest question is how to launch this bird V2. Some of my friend told he needed max effort to launch it by hand, much more than for MT.
And I'm using bungee (high start) for it. It means 3S batt would be not so powerfull for it. I'm using 5S, effectiveness is about 100 ma/km.
The vids I've seen on the Dragon V2 launch was effortless. Launching the plank V1 version is a different story...
Sep 23, 2021, 11:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic
The vids I've seen on the Dragon V2 launch was effortless. Launching the plank V1 version is a different story...
I have never had any trouble launching my V1, i run 1772kv on 4s with 6" tri blades and it just wants to pull out of the hand, dont get any dip i give it a chuck with nose about 20 degree up and away it goes no FC just guardian stabiliser still love flying my Dragon, so much that i sold my Albabird
Sep 23, 2021, 11:38 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Reacher
I have never had any trouble launching my V1, i run 1772kv on 4s with 6" tri blades and it just wants to pull out of the hand, dont get any dip i give it a chuck with nose about 20 degree up and away it goes no FC just guardian stabiliser still love flying my Dragon, so much that i sold my Albabird
Don't know what to say. Mine wants to tuck down under power. I've had many successful launches...to the point I thought I had it all figured out and going good. Then the last flight it nose dived with my normal auto launch technique. I flew it again today, but this time launching in stabilize mode with some up reflex. It still dipped, but didn't crash itself...and the trims felt all off this time too. Really, really tempted to pull out and build the V2...

Quick Reply