Apr 11, 2020, 05:07 PM
I’m using an iX20. The TX is bound to the RX. The RX is setup and working. All the surfaces are working, ESC is working. I just can’t get the gyro to active.

Scott
to remove ads between posts
Apr 11, 2020, 05:11 PM
31 yrs. of Aircraft flying!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappyx2
I’m using an iX20. The TX is bound to the RX. The RX is setup and working. All the surfaces are working, ESC is working. I just can’t get the gyro to active.

Scott
Sorry, I miss understood when you said things were humming, thought nothing was moving.
So you have the AS3X activated, on a switch. you have the switch assigned just like in the video.
Also remember take prop off to be safe but you have to run the throttle up to at least 25-30% before gyros will start working.
Apr 11, 2020, 06:56 PM
1) I've verified that I have the most current firmware RX version.
2) Did another factory reset of the RX.
3) Went thru the entire AS3X setup.
4) Ran the motor up.
5) The Gyro still does not engage.
6) As I stated before I do NOT get the Throttle Cut Warning when I go back into the Forward Programming menu. (With the system powered up)
7) This is the one difference that I see from the video tutorial.

In my old AS3X RX. I setup my gyro setting on a three position switch. I do not use a knob or slider. Position 0 is off. 1 and 2 are the gyro settings.

If I have downloaded the file correctly from my radio??? I'm still learning TeamViewer. I have attached the file.

Thanks again Scott
Apr 11, 2020, 07:49 PM
One last idea.

I switched radios, from a iX20 to and iX12 and did another complete setup of the RX/Radio and the AS3X portion. The same result. The gyro had no control nor did I get the Throttle Cut Warning when enetering the Forward Programming menu after the first time setup was conpleted.

I must be very consistent in a mistake I'm making in the setup???

Scott
Apr 11, 2020, 07:57 PM
Quote:
One last idea.

I switched radios, from a iX20 to and iX12 and did another complete setup of the RX/Radio and the AS3X portion. The same result. The gyro had no control nor did I get the Throttle Cut Warning when enetering the Forward Programming menu after the first time setup was conpleted.

Scott
That is strange, wish a Spek Expert like Andy wold come and chime in his thoughts.
Apr 11, 2020, 09:38 PM
We shall serve the Lord
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoweredrc
Thanks for the reply, I also posted about this over in the whatever it is there having this week on this site. they cant have the e week or whatever in person so doing it all online, they were a thread about the Smart esc there and so i posted there, one guy replied from HH and told me i needed to update my TX, i then told him its updated cause i am using the new AR637T and had to update it for forward programming to work..
Now i can see the amps from my flight on the screen afterwards just the live amps isn't showing on screen.

oh, and I do have the 30amp Avian in my Flash with my AR637T and same issue.
iX12 TX, AR410, Standard (Dumb) Battery. Made sure the model was no longer bound to this TX by binding the RX to my Dx6e first. Powered up the iX12 and put it on the correct model. Plugged in the RX battery and pushed the RX Bind button. RX bind light was flashing fast, then I selected the bind function, made sure the Auto Configure for the telemetry was selected and long pressed the bind box on the iX12. The receiver bound, the bind light went solid, the ESC armed, and the TX went through the Telemetry Auto Configure process. The ESC Amps were displayed on all the proper Data screens. The readings increased as throttle percent and RPM increased and the MIN/MAX values registered as expected. The Battery Data boxes were blank as expected. Here are some screen shots. Hope this helps.

McD
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Apr 11, 2020, 09:55 PM
We shall serve the Lord
Thread OP
Quote:
One last idea.

Scott
I just set up my new AR637T RX on my iX12. First, I made sure the Receiver was working as a normal RX.

I used a model already programmed in my iX12. I plugged in the RX and put it in bind mode. I selected Bind on the iX12 and then made sure the Telemetry Auto Configure was selected before I long pressed the bind box. The RX bound, and the TX auto configured the telemetry. I confirmed that all the surfaces worked in the correct direction and that the throttle cut worked. I then armed the throttle and selected Forward Programming. The Throttle Cut warning came on the screen so I switched the throttle cut and the first time program continued. I set up the AS3X settings and the TX said it would restart my RX and to go to model adjust. I pressed the model adjust. The plane servos began buzzing and only the aileron servo would respond to the TX stick movements. After 30 seconds or so, the servos started working one by one. The buzzing stopped and the AS3X worked as expected once the throttle was advanced past 30%. Throttle cut worked as expected and the AS3X remained active and responded proportionally relative to the RT slider position.

I'm not sure of your sequence Scott, but you might want to give mine a try. You might also want to give the RX time to reinitialize when you finish programming before you try the gyros. I'd also recommend you go on line and check for TX updates. I know you said you believed you had the latest because you could use forward programming, but that may not be correct. I only takes a few minutes to check.

Edit: Even though I got the Throttle Cut warning on my first time programming, I'm not sure you get that warning on subsequent programming. That will have to wait for another day.

McD
Last edited by kingsflyer; Apr 11, 2020 at 10:04 PM.
Apr 11, 2020, 10:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsflyer
iX12 TX, AR410, Standard (Dumb) Battery. Made sure the model was no longer bound to this TX by binding the RX to my Dx6e first. Powered up the iX12 and put it on the correct model. Plugged in the RX battery and pushed the RX Bind button. RX bind light was flashing fast, then I selected the bind function, made sure the Auto Configure for the telemetry was selected and long pressed the bind box on the iX12. The receiver bound, the bind light went solid, the ESC armed, and the TX went through the Telemetry Auto Configure process. The ESC Amps were displayed on all the proper Data screens. The readings increased as throttle percent and RPM increased and the MIN/MAX values registered as expected. The Battery Data boxes were blank as expected. Here are some screen shots. Hope this helps.

McD
Thanks for the reply.. I will try and rebind the AR410 one and see if i get any thing new.. Its funny cause with it i get one screen looks just like the ones you posted but on my AR637T i don't see the page with the broken looking battery. I guess cause the Gforce, and other screens are in its place. not sure i can get them all to show up?
Apr 12, 2020, 10:01 AM
Quote:
I just set up my new AR637T RX on my iX12. First, I made sure the Receiver was working as a normal RX.

I used a model already programmed in my iX12. I plugged in the RX and put it in bind mode. I selected Bind on the iX12 and then made sure the Telemetry Auto Configure was selected before I long pressed the bind box. The RX bound, and the TX auto configured the telemetry. I confirmed that all the surfaces worked in the correct direction and that the throttle cut worked. I then armed the throttle and selected Forward Programming. The Throttle Cut warning came on the screen so I switched the throttle cut and the first time program continued. I set up the AS3X settings and the TX said it would restart my RX and to go to model adjust. I pressed the model adjust. The plane servos began buzzing and only the aileron servo would respond to the TX stick movements. After 30 seconds or so, the servos started working one by one. The buzzing stopped and the AS3X worked as expected once the throttle was advanced past 30%. Throttle cut worked as expected and the AS3X remained active and responded proportionally relative to the RT slider position.

I'm not sure of your sequence Scott, but you might want to give mine a try. You might also want to give the RX time to reinitialize when you finish programming before you try the gyros. I'd also recommend you go on line and check for TX updates. I know you said you believed you had the latest because you could use forward programming, but that may not be correct. I only takes a few minutes to check.

Edit: Even though I got the Throttle Cut warning on my first time programming, I'm not sure you get that warning on subsequent programming. That will have to wait for another day.

McD
Thank You McD for the reply. As I said,,,, I must have been doing something consistently wrong in my setup!!!! I was!!! I was NOT going to 25% throttle after my initial setup!!

Once I added that step,,, the setup went as it should. The only thing that was different for me,,, I do not use a knob to adjust the gains. I use a three position switch with 0 being off and position 1 and 2 as my gyro setting. I had to go into the Digital Switch Setup and change position 0 to negative -100% (off) and set position 1 and 2 to 100% (on), my switch position worked as it did on my old AR636 RX.

Thanks again for your and Epowers help!

Scott
Apr 12, 2020, 10:27 AM
Quote:
Thank You McD for the reply. As I said,,,, I must have been doing something consistently wrong in my setup!!!! I was!!! I was NOT going to 25% throttle after my initial setup!!

Once I added that step,,, the setup went as it should. The only thing that was different for me,,, I do not use a knob to adjust the gains. I use a three position switch with 0 being off and position 1 and 2 as my gyro setting. I had to go into the Digital Switch Setup and change position 0 to negative -100% (off) and set position 1 and 2 to 100% (on), my switch position worked as it did on my old AR636 RX.

Thanks again for your and Epowers help!

Scott
I mentioned that step in my 2nd reply i think. But glad you got it going and why wouldn't you use a Knob to find your gain? As said in my video my plane only took 18 so there no easy way to find the correct gain using a switch I know the IX20 has knobs pretty sure. or you can use one of the sliders.
Apr 12, 2020, 10:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoweredrc
I mentioned that ste p in my 2nd reply i think. But glad you got it going and why wouldn't you use a Knob to find your gain? As said in my video my plane only took 18 so there no easy way to find the correct gain using a switch I know the IX20 has knobs pretty sure. or you can use one of the sliders.

I’ve never had any issue finding the correct gain setting using a switch. If all is equal with the old and new style of RX?? my old setting should be close or the same in the new RX.

Because my gyro setting are set the same in position 1 and 2, I find a knob or slider cumbersome. Just my take, to each his own.

Scott
Apr 12, 2020, 10:57 AM
Quote:
I’ve never had any issue finding the correct gain setting using a switch. If all is equal with the old and new style of RX?? my old setting should be close or the same in the new RX.

Because my gyro setting are set the same in position 1 and 2, I find a knob or slider cumbersome. Just my take, to each his own.

Scott
Are you talking about with your AR636? if so then No. I started a thread when i first heard about this new AR637T and asked if i could take the settings from my Timber X and put into this new AR637T and was told no, i could maybe get close but the values would be different.

I never played with gains on my AR636 units. I tried once with my mx plane and it never seemed to have any effect on it, maybe i was doing something wrong.
Apr 12, 2020, 11:58 AM
We shall serve the Lord
Thread OP
My plan is to use the slider to determine the maximum gain that just barely starts the oscillating and use that numerical value to program a 3-position switch. I’ll program one position with zero gain for “Experienced Mode”, the middle position with 1/2 that maximum value as “Intermediate Mode”, and the far position with the maximum value as “AS3X Mode”. I will normally fly in Experienced Mode or Intermediate Mode and save AS3X for very windy conditions.

I like the idea of using a variable knob or slider to first find the gain value and then being able to “Hard Wire” that value into a switch. YMMV.

McD
Apr 12, 2020, 12:35 PM
Quote:
My plan is to use the slider to determine the maximum gain that just barely starts the oscillating and use that numerical value to program a 3-position switch. I’ll program one position with zero gain for “Experienced Mode”, the middle position with 1/2 that maximum value as “Intermediate Mode”, and the far position with the maximum value as “AS3X Mode”. I will normally fly in Experienced Mode or Intermediate Mode and save AS3X for very windy conditions.

I like the idea of using a variable knob or slider to first find the gain value and then being able to “Hard Wire” that value into a switch. YMMV.

McD
I guess the great thing about it, everyone can set up different, but i do not change value of the gains but only use the switch to go from totally off/ On/ Safe mode.
Apr 12, 2020, 06:35 PM
We shall serve the Lord
Thread OP
I think I understand now. You will be using a 2-position switch and go from no-gain to SAFE, correct?

I think I misunderstood and thought you wanted to use a 3-position switch and go from -100 to +100 to SAFE, I was concerned that the plane could possibly go into oscillations or flutter in the +100% position.

Not trying to convert anyone to "My Way", just trying to understand and possibly prevent a bad outcome.

McD

Quick Reply