Mar 24, 2020, 12:59 PM
We shall serve the Lord
Thread OP
Wow! That's great to know. Thanks for working through that for us.

McD
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
to remove ads between posts
Mar 30, 2020, 08:18 AM
nerd
I have the Avian 100A in a heli with an old Z-power Z20A 1230kv motor. When throttling up, and at a certain RPM (25 - 30% throttle), I get some stuttering and desync. When going up past that RPM all becomes normal and I can continue spooling up. I have tried all timing settings- At first I thought it seemed to work better at the "low" setting, but no. This old motor used to work just fine with the original GAUI 100A ESC, but I wanted Smart ESC telemetry.
Anyone else noticed similar issues?

I will try and make some more tests with some other motor and also try an Avian 60A from another heli. But all stuff is buried into scale helis, quite a bit of work to swap things around.

The rest of the equipment is iX20 Tx, FC6250HX with 4651T Rx, 6s4000 Smart battery. I wish I had the Smart ESC programming box, stick programming is a pain. But the box seems to be unavailable in EU at the moment.
/A
Mar 31, 2020, 01:18 PM
AndWho,

I had a similar problem doing the Governor learn procedure where the motor would spool up then start shuddering and shut off. In airplane mode the motor would free rev with no problem. I played with the timing and had the same issue. Horizon Hobby had no idea what the problem was. I swapped the motor and was able to learn the governor. I have two of these esc's in helicopters and I am not a fan of them. Its a Hobbywing rebrand that has been dumb down, they do not have all the adjustable parameters that the Hobbywings have. The slow start is garbage, it seems to step the motor up instead of a nice smooth transition. I should have just spent the extra few dollars and bought hobbywing esc's
Mar 31, 2020, 02:39 PM
nerd
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsOl
AndWho,

I had a similar problem doing the Governor learn procedure where the motor would spool up then start shuddering and shut off. In airplane mode the motor would free rev with no problem. I played with the timing and had the same issue. Horizon Hobby had no idea what the problem was. I swapped the motor and was able to learn the governor. I have two of these esc's in helicopters and I am not a fan of them. Its a Hobbywing rebrand that has been dumb down, they do not have all the adjustable parameters that the Hobbywings have. The slow start is garbage, it seems to step the motor up instead of a nice smooth transition. I should have just spent the extra few dollars and bought hobbywing esc's
Thanks for the response. I have swapped motors around and will test the Avian 100A again later on, weather permitting.

I am also a bit disappointed in the hard startup etc. I had the desyns/stuttering both with and without governor, much worse with governor though. I am running it without governor and try to spool up manually as slow as I can. The initial start is still quite brutal. Missing the super smooooth power up of my 100A Gaui ESC. I did the investment in Smart ESC to get telemetry, but lost a few other heli features. I might just swap back to the Gaui ESC and loose TM. If only the FC6250HX had working X-bus support, I could get at least Voltage telemetry that way.

A lot of features missing at the launch of this "Smart" product line. Premature it seems. Hoping for firmware updates to fix these issues on both ESCs and FC soon. There was one quick FC fix, output pin 6 channel assignment. But still no X-bus nor Aux port functionality.
/A
Apr 01, 2020, 12:07 PM
nerd
Swapped motors around and the Z-power Z20A that did not work well with Avian 100A now runs as smooth as usual with the Gaui 100A ESC (Hobbywing?) in another heli. On the Avian I now have an anonymous motor I got with a used heli, I guess it is a Gaui 1100kv 1500W motor. This one spools up without any stuttering. Still, there is this hard initial start. have not tried governor yet.

Also discovered another issue with the Avian 100A. Manual says the BEC should by default have 6V output. But it is set to 7.4V. I noticed this when new and lowered it to 6V. Now after a factory reset it went back to 7.4V. Had to re-config to 6V as I have stuff on the servo rail that is not HV. Very dangerous default. Can we trust what the manual says on other defaults?
/A
Apr 01, 2020, 07:56 PM
Report back on what you think of the governor with soft start when you get that going. The learn procedure is identical to Hobbywings... Both of my avians, 60a and 80a were both default at 6V.
Apr 04, 2020, 03:18 PM
31 yrs. of Aircraft flying!
Okay guys, I just found this thread, it seems to be the only thread made for these new Smart escs, I just picked up the Avian 15 and a 30amp one.
I installed the 15amp one along with a brand new AR410 rx onto a flat plate Quasar foamy.. I am only getting motor RPM,temp of the esc, RX voltage,output % , and voltage of my flight battery, but no Amps. I have the UMX Timber turbo and the amp read out works great with it on my IX12.

I AM NOT using smart battery and i realize ( i didn't at purchase but i do now ) that this 15 won't read smart battery data anyways but shouldn't i still get amps?

Here are some pictures of my screens to show what data i am getting.

Thanks for any input.. Seems to not be a whole lot on this "Smart" stuff yet.
Apr 08, 2020, 04:49 AM
Also having some challenges with an Avian 100A.

Bought one of these to use with an 80mm outrunner and all it has managed to do is stutter and get the motor wires super hot. Low throttle is fine, anything above ~30% and it just stutters and tries to toast the motor. I guess not quite smart enough to pick up on this.

The motor works fine with a different ESC and the Avian works fine with a different motor (a much newer inrunner), so there's clearly some sort of compatability challenge here. Have tried every timing, startup and 'freewheel' (?) option.

Given I cant see any other option I'll have to swap the ESCs in these two planes around. Mildly annoying but not the end of the world. Certainly the last spektrum ESC I'll ever buy given the insane price premium.

On the plus side it's a lovely looking bit of kit.
Apr 09, 2020, 10:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshagg2
Also having some challenges with an Avian 100A.

Bought one of these to use with an 80mm outrunner and all it has managed to do is stutter and get the motor wires super hot. Low throttle is fine, anything above ~30% and it just stutters and tries to toast the motor. I guess not quite smart enough to pick up on this.

The motor works fine with a different ESC and the Avian works fine with a different motor (a much newer inrunner), so there's clearly some sort of compatability challenge here. Have tried every timing, startup and 'freewheel' (?) option.

Given I cant see any other option I'll have to swap the ESCs in these two planes around. Mildly annoying but not the end of the world. Certainly the last spektrum ESC I'll ever buy given the insane price premium.

On the plus side it's a lovely looking bit of kit.
Both of mine run the motors fine, i did have my Flash just shut off on me first flight with the 30amp but i guess it reached the low voltage cut off. guess i will set it a lil lower.
I just wish someone from HH would answer my question about the live amp data. I have now asked in 2 threads and they not answered me.
I get very frustrated when I support a company, I am always posting videos about their products, I try to hel p with new products by making videos about them being involved in the threads on RCG and can't even get my questions when i have one answered.
Apr 10, 2020, 04:12 PM
Horizon Hobbies tech support response time via email is a complete joke. It was two weeks before I got a response regarding my shuddering motor issue
Apr 11, 2020, 11:59 AM
We shall serve the Lord
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoweredrc
Okay guys, I just found this thread, it seems to be the only thread made for these new Smart escs, I just picked up the Avian 15 and a 30amp one.
I installed the 15amp one along with a brand new AR410 rx onto a flat plate Quasar foamy.. I am only getting motor RPM,temp of the esc, RX voltage,output % , and voltage of my flight battery, but no Amps. I have the UMX Timber turbo and the amp read out works great with it on my IX12.

I AM NOT using smart battery and i realize ( i didn't at purchase but i do now ) that this 15 won't read smart battery data anyways but shouldn't i still get amps?

Here are some pictures of my screens to show what data i am getting.

Thanks for any input.. Seems to not be a whole lot on this "Smart" stuff yet.
Hey Chris,

Sorry the Horizon folks haven't responded yet. I'll try and help if I can. When I tested the Avian 15 Amp Smart ESC, it supplied the full array of Smart Data to the AR410 Receiver through the normal Throttle port. The only limitation I noticed on the 15 Amp was that the BEC voltage was not adjustable and that it was a linear BEC. I didn't try it with a normal battery though - sorry. I've already sent the 15 Amp back to Horizon, so I don't have it here to give it a more thorough bench test for you. I could run some tests on my 40 Amp Avian though if you think that would help.

Here's a couple of things you can try that may help right now. Update your transmitter to the latest firmware version. Update your receiver to the latest firmware. I seem to remember there were some Amp display issues with the early release RX firmware versions. Rebind the TX/RX and then use the Telemetry Auto Configure to let the TX find all the available Data Screens. This may help.

Let me know if you want me to run some tests on the Avian 40.

McD
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Apr 11, 2020, 04:24 PM

Can Not Get The Gyro to Active.

All,

Iím having trouble getting my new AR637T Gyro to active. I have watched and followed to video tutorials step by step numerous times with the same outcome, no gyro effects.

1) the RX is setup and works correctly as a standard RX.
2) the only thing that is different with my RX than the video tutorial. When I finish the initial set up and go back into Forward Programming. I do NOT get the Throttle Cut Warning as indicated in the video.
3) I have done numerous factory resets.

Any ideas?

Thanks Scott
Apr 11, 2020, 04:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsflyer
Hey Chris,

Sorry the Horizon folks haven't responded yet. I'll try and help if I can. When I tested the Avian 15 Amp Smart ESC, it supplied the full array of Smart Data to the AR410 Receiver through the normal Throttle port. The only limitation I noticed on the 15 Amp was that the BEC voltage was not adjustable and that it was a linear BEC. I didn't try it with a normal battery though - sorry. I've already sent the 15 Amp back to Horizon, so I don't have it here to give it a more thorough bench test for you. I could run some tests on my 40 Amp Avian though if you think that would help.

Here's a couple of things you can try that may help right now. Update your transmitter to the latest firmware version. Update your receiver to the latest firmware. I seem to remember there were some Amp display issues with the early release RX firmware versions. Rebind the TX/RX and then use the Telemetry Auto Configure to let the TX find all the available Data Screens. This may help.

Let me know if you want me to run some tests on the Avian 40.

McD
Thanks for the reply, I also posted about this over in the whatever it is there having this week on this site. they cant have the e week or whatever in person so doing it all online, they were a thread about the Smart esc there and so i posted there, one guy replied from HH and told me i needed to update my TX, i then told him its updated cause i am using the new AR637T and had to update it for forward programming to work..
Now i can see the amps from my flight on the screen afterwards just the live amps isn't showing on screen.

oh, and I do have the 30amp Avian in my Flash with my AR637T and same issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappyx2
All,

I’m having trouble getting my new AR637T Gyro to active. I have watched and followed to video tutorials step by step numerous times with the same outcome, no gyro effects.

1) the RX is setup and works correctly as a standard RX.
2) the only thing that is different with my RX than the video tutorial. When I finish the initial set up and go back into Forward Programming. I do NOT get the Throttle Cut Warning as indicated in the video.
3) I have done numerous factory resets.

Any ideas?

Thanks Scott
Hi Scott,
As i just posted above, I happen to have the new AR637T myself I have it in my Flash reloaded. and all i can say is make sure your TX is up to date. and the rx has to be powered on before you can see the Forward programming menu on the TX if your TX is up to date ( before i updated my ix12 i could see the menu but when i went into it and tried to connect of course it wouldn't connect.)
Make sure you go in and enable whatever your trying to get to work right..
I made a video today talking about the unit not sure my video would help you any or not.
Overview of setup on AR637T (20 min 21 sec)

I liked this guys videos on the unit more then the one you posted. while long videos I was able to get mine all set up from these.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Migglees
Apr 11, 2020, 04:55 PM
Thanks Epower,

My RX has been updated to the newest firmware. My RX is powered up. And as in your video, I do not get the Throttle Cut Warning when I go into the Forward Programming menu.

The Forward Programming will open up and I can walk thru the setup, but when Iím completed with setup, the gyro will not active.

Scott.
Apr 11, 2020, 05:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappyx2
Thanks Epower,

My RX has been updated to the newest firmware. My RX is powered up. And as in your video, I do not get the Throttle Cut Warning when I go into the Forward Programming menu.

The Forward Programming will open up and I can walk thru the setup, but when I’m completed with setup, the gyro will not active.

Scott.
It doesn't sound like your TX is really connected to the RX. Maybe ,What TX you using? does it show at the bottom of the screen the AR637

Quick Reply