Sep 24, 2019, 09:46 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Hawksky V2 ESC not liking Hawksky receiver

I hope someone can help me to get my Hawksky V2 flying. As the kit did not have a receiver or transmitter, I had to use the ones from my older Hawksky, using the ESC supplied with the V2. I was able to make the wireless connection between the transmitter and the receiver so I could operate all the control surfaces without a problem, but the receiver would give a fairly fast beep-beep-beep-... which the Skylord ESC manual says is a fault indicating the throttle stick is not at the bottom or the throttle range is too small. The motor never ran.

Then after awhile I could not get the transmitter and receiver to match up, and nothing worked, the receiver giving only a slow searching beep (one second between each).

After allowing the system to rest I tried again and this time it was like the first time, a rapid beep, control surfaces moving correctly but no motor.

I suspect the ESC is not properly matched with the receiver. Whatever I try to do I cannot make the system accept any attempt to set the throttle range. It only beeps, and doesn't acknowledge my moving the throttle from minimum to maximum.

The ESC is pretty well jammed into the top of the V2 fuselage and I really don't want to try to remove it in order to replace it with the original Hawksky ESC. And even if I did, I suppose there is no guarantee the V2's motor would work correctly with the original ESC.

I have all the connections at the receiver made correctly I am sure, the yellow wires of the throttle and all control surfaces are all on the same side.

Any idea what is wrong?
to remove ads between posts
Sep 25, 2019, 05:24 AM
Welcome to the forum

I'm not familiar with your particular radio system but, if you're sure that the throttle and its trim are all the way 'down' (i.e. zero throttle), then the only other thing I can suggest is to start with the transmitter throttle all the way 'up' (i.e. full throttle). Do this and any other checks with the prop off the model. If that works, and increases the motor speed as you move the throttle stick down towards zero, it means that the throttle channel on your transmitter needs reversing.

On the other hand, your throttle range may simply need to be programmed into the ESC. To do this you switch on your transmitter and set its throttle to maximum. Then you power up the receiver and, when you hear a series of tones, you then move the transmitter's throttle down to zero. The ESC should then give a different set of tones to signify that it's calibrated. After you then power off the receiver, you should be ready to go next time you power up.
Sep 25, 2019, 09:23 AM
Thread OP
No matter what I do all I get is a system in which the transmitter and receiver are bound, control surfaces work correctly, and the receiver makes a rapid beep and the motor will not respond. In another forum I have heard a rumour that the Hawksky V2 ESC supplied is often faulty. I now am reasonably convinced this is the problem, and the ESC is faulty.

I unplugged the ESC from the receiver and substituted the wires from my old Hawksky (V1) so the control surfaces of the V2 and the engine of the V1 are operated from the receiver. Thus my old ESC is controlling the V1's motor. Full success. This proves the receiver is not faulty, and seems to support the idea the new ESC is faulty.

Now to try to remove the V2's engine. I unscrewed the 4 screws, but the engine cowling is still well stuck together and the halves will not separate. How do I get the cowling halves apart?
Sep 25, 2019, 02:55 PM
Bombs away! Err...landing
Quote:
Originally Posted by domander
No matter what I do all I get is a system in which the transmitter and receiver are bound, control surfaces work correctly, and the receiver makes a rapid beep and the motor will not respond. In another forum I have heard a rumour that the Hawksky V2 ESC supplied is often faulty. I now am reasonably convinced this is the problem, and the ESC is faulty.

I unplugged the ESC from the receiver and substituted the wires from my old Hawksky (V1) so the control surfaces of the V2 and the engine of the V1 are operated from the receiver. Thus my old ESC is controlling the V1's motor. Full success. This proves the receiver is not faulty, and seems to support the idea the new ESC is faulty.

Now to try to remove the V2's engine. I unscrewed the 4 screws, but the engine cowling is still well stuck together and the halves will not separate. How do I get the cowling halves apart?
Have you lowered the trim on the elevator channel?
99% of the time the cause of this is because while the throttle stick is all the way down, the trim is not, so the throttle is not down.
Sep 25, 2019, 04:09 PM
Thread OP
Update: tried to run the V2 motor with the V1 ESC and receiver and it would not bind. So... rather than buy a new V2 ESC and receiver, i have removed the V2 motor with great difficulty and will replace it with the V1 motor. Now the entire system is V1. Ugly. But whacha gonna do?
Sep 26, 2019, 02:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by domander
Update: tried to run the V2 motor with the V1 ESC and receiver and it would not bind. So... rather than buy a new V2 ESC and receiver, i have removed the V2 motor with great difficulty and will replace it with the V1 motor. Now the entire system is V1. Ugly. But whacha gonna do?
Why would you do that?

If it wouldn't bind the issue is either with the process you're using or the Receiver.

If the V2 ESC won't arm the issue is with the process you're using or the ESC.

If the motor V1 motor works, the V2 motor should work...But...Nothing here says or even implies an issue with the motor or am I missing something? Everything implies that the only problem you've had with the V2 gear is the travel on the throttle channel isn't low enough for it to arm?
Sep 26, 2019, 06:59 AM
Thread OP
As I've said, i tried every permutation you can think of to overcome the error beeping. Nothing worked. In only one permutation, that being everything V1 except the motor, did i get a failure to bind. In all other situations the result was error beeping. Yes, i could have purchased new receiver, new ESC and maybe new transmitter and that surely would have resulted in success. But the only success available with the equipment i already own is to go fully V1. And since that is working perfectly I'm now happy. Many thanks to all who helped with their suggestions!
Sep 26, 2019, 02:28 PM
Did you actually try lowering the trim? I can't see you saying anything about it.

Quick Reply