Oct 05, 2019, 05:29 PM
UAS Pilot - FAA# *******HRK
Nice!!! Looking forward to seeing what loads those props make.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 11, 2019, 07:27 PM
I just want to go fly!
Thread OP
Recieved my Apc props today. Got a pair of counter rotated 6x4 mounted up to the motors to get a watt test going. Going to make a test stand this weekend and see what kind of figures I get with this set up before I move on to other options. I like this testing part.
Oct 11, 2019, 07:30 PM
I just want to go fly!
Thread OP
Hoping test out my counter rotate 6x4 -3 blades to see what I get. Making a test stand. Looking forward to the watt tests and getting a proper spinner sorted.
Last edited by walter3rd; Oct 12, 2019 at 09:15 AM.
Oct 12, 2019, 11:44 AM
I just want to go fly!
Thread OP
I have them hooked up turning counter rotate and realized I canít test them without making a adapter for my Ec3 watt meter. Duh!
Oct 13, 2019, 06:48 AM
3 blade props are gonna put a heavy load on those motors. Yes test it carefully
Oct 13, 2019, 10:14 AM
I just want to go fly!
Thread OP
If it’s to much I’ll back off to a standard 2 blade apc e prop. Sure would look great with 3 blades but the watt meter will tell the story. I will proceed with caution. Looks like it’s rated at 50watt max and 5 amp max burst
Last edited by walter3rd; Oct 13, 2019 at 10:41 AM.
Oct 13, 2019, 01:53 PM
I just want to go fly!
Thread OP
Here are my results... just under 30 watts and 2.5 amps! Not so spectacular. Hoping for closer to 50 watts. Thoughts and recommendations welcome. These are 4 pitch 3 blades. Should I try some higher pitch 2 blades if I cant find higher pitch 3s? Thanks for advise. Walt
Oct 13, 2019, 02:49 PM
Obviously I'm a "Minus Member"
The BMJR website suggests two 30 watt motors, which is where you are at. I can't find an all up weight for the model, which is what I would look at when considering watts/power. If you can't find a higher pitch 3 blade, than either a larger diameter two blade or a higher pitch 2 blade would be your options. Alternatively, you could probably go to a 4S battery and a smaller prop to get to your 50 watts per motor. As long as you don't substantially exceed the motor's specs, you can use any mix of prop size, prop pitch and voltage you want to get to the watts you need. Although I think the Phoenix 10 ESC's have a 3S limitation. And, of course, the bigger the battery the more weight you add to the model.
Mark
Oct 13, 2019, 04:02 PM
I just want to go fly!
Thread OP
Thanks. I agree at least I’m at the recommendation on the paperwork. If it flys ok and can take off from ground I can live with that. I can always up the prop specs later and tweak as needed. I got the lower kv motor hoping I could make use of 3 or 4 blade props and be within spec. I guess knowing what I know now the higher kv motors might have been the better choice. Oh well. I will march on with the build.
Oct 13, 2019, 04:13 PM
I just want to go fly!
Thread OP
I’m going to order some Apc 6x6 counter rotate props and retest.
Oct 13, 2019, 04:15 PM
I just want to go fly!
Thread OP
Iím going to order some Apc 6x6 counter rotate props and retest. Hoping to up the power a bit. I can get almost twice that power from these motors I think
Oct 13, 2019, 07:52 PM
UAS Pilot - FAA# *******HRK
Wow.... kinda let down by the numbers with the three blades on 3S. Fingers crossed on the 6x6 2B props.

I've always found the HiMaxx motors underrated in the specs. You can push them pretty hard especially if you don't stay at full throttle the entire flight. Be that as it may, its really hard to get enough load on a low KV motor when you can't swing larger props (especially on low cell count batteries). I have two motors I'm in the same boat with. One is 40 size 600KV motor. On 4S you need 14 and 15 in props the get any usable power out of it. I've tried several times to make the numbers fit for various planes I'd like to use that size motor on. In the end, the only real way is buy 5 or 6cell batteries, which I'm not real keen to do, to be able to use realistic size props so I always end up going with something else. The same with a Turnigy 2836-750. The numbers just never work out so it ends up back in the bottom of the parts box.

If the 6x6 don't get what need then higher KV motors or a 4S batt are your next options.

Mike
Oct 13, 2019, 09:14 PM
I just want to go fly!
Thread OP
agree...
Oct 14, 2019, 03:46 PM
I just want to go fly!
Thread OP
i have some 6x6 props on order. what are the thoughts about putting tru turn spinners on this little gem? too much weight? i dont care about cost as they look soooo nice.
Oct 16, 2019, 05:20 PM
Go with higher pitch. If 6x6 doesnít get you the watts, I would try a 7 inch prop, if that pulls too many amps, try a 6 x7 or 8 in pitch

Quick Reply