Sep 23, 2019, 09:23 PM
I just want to go fly!
Thread OP
Build Log

Mini duelist electric build

Iím starting the baby brother to my larger Dave platt dualist. This little 35Ē twin will be electric with fixed trike gear. Twin 50 watt himax stick mount motors on 3s power. Tried to get some first steps going tonight and am missing the very first part! 3-32 brass tubing for the nose wheel steering assembly. I donít think I lost it but canít find it. Might have been missing in kit. Oh well Iíll grab it at the hobby shop I hope... going to be a slow build for me as there are not many pictures and delicate builds might be a bit tricky. Time will tell. Walt. Picture of big brother. I might cover the same for fun...
Last edited by walter3rd; Sep 23, 2019 at 09:35 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 24, 2019, 09:33 PM
Low And Slow 3D Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by walter3rd
Iím starting the baby brother to my larger Dave platt dualist. This little 35Ē twin will be electric with fixed trike gear. Twin 50 watt himax stick mount motors on 3s power. Tried to get some first steps going tonight and am missing the very first part! 3-32 brass tubing for the nose wheel steering assembly. I donít think I lost it but canít find it. Might have been missing in kit. Oh well Iíll grab it at the hobby shop I hope... going to be a slow build for me as there are not many pictures and delicate builds might be a bit tricky. Time will tell. Walt. Picture of big brother. I might cover the same for fun...
awesome!
Sep 28, 2019, 07:30 AM
I just want to go fly!
Thread OP
I’ve started the build. It’s going to be a slow one but at least it’s moving in the right direction. I promised myself I would finally get around to doing the maiden on my biggest build to date before starting another build. So I’m already breaking my promise. ��. Bridi killer bee 80”. Nose wheel brass bushing lashed to former and laminated wing mount former. Hoping these motors work well. I have no experience with himax or using stick mounts. I’ve never built a plane this small and delicate compared to my sig wonder it seems complicated
Last edited by walter3rd; Sep 28, 2019 at 07:45 AM.
Sep 28, 2019, 07:59 AM
Obviously I'm a "Minus Member"
Walt, smaller models can seem pretty delicate. But once you get some of the basics done, they usually get sturdy. Breaking 1/8" (or even 1/16") stringers can be an occasional occurrence in regular handling.

I noticed the motors you purchased are a bit bigger than the ones recommended. Just a bit longer, same diameter. You should be OK. One thing I would check is the prop clearance between the motor and the fuselage. The motors you have show a suggested prop of between 7 and 10". If you can fit a 9" prop, you should be OK. I would suggest a 3 cell lipo for power. A two cell would require a larger diamenter prop.

I will follow along with your build. I have looked at this kit a bunch of times, but just haven't gotten around to acquiring it. Too many others in the queue. Paul Bradley (the designer) puts out some very nice and well designed models, so I think it should go together well.

Mark
Sep 28, 2019, 02:01 PM
I just want to go fly!
Thread OP
thanks. the slightly smaller version of this motor said for 2s and i wanted a 3s power system so i was hoping this would work. the plans recommend a 6 prop and i thought i could make due with this motors recommended 7 possibly, we shall see. it should be a fun adventure and im always up for a bit of kit bashing if required.
Sep 28, 2019, 03:16 PM
Obviously I'm a "Minus Member"
If you scroll down a bit, you can get some idea of prop size from this chart:
https://www.radicalrc.com/category/Himax-Outrunners-114

A 7x6 seems to be about the right wattage, if you can fit it. If only a 6" prop will fit, you might consider a 4 cell battery, per the chart. The two issues for a 4 cell setup would be a 4 cell capable ESC (in a 8-10 amp size) and sufficient space in the fuselage to fit the battery.

Mark
Sep 29, 2019, 11:11 AM
I just want to go fly!
Thread OP
I’m going to hope for 3s power and prop clearance. Fingers crossed. I’ll be sure to watt test everything as well
Sep 29, 2019, 11:54 AM
Iíve used those little Himax motors, good quality!
Sep 29, 2019, 12:12 PM
I just want to go fly!
Thread OP
Awesome
Sep 29, 2019, 01:45 PM
I just want to go fly!
Thread OP
Almost done.... ��tacked with ca. Question what size servos are people using on this build ?
Last edited by walter3rd; Sep 29, 2019 at 04:59 PM.
Oct 03, 2019, 05:53 PM
I just want to go fly!
Thread OP
More goodies arrived today I can’t believe how small these esc s are! So tiny. Not used to working with such little gear.
Oct 04, 2019, 10:13 PM
The joy of building smaller RC models. Many of the smaller models we build today would not be practical without the availability of the small RC gear. Motors, servos, ESC's, and of course smaller batteries to fit in those small nacelles.

I look forward to watching your progress on this build.

Paul Bradley
Oct 05, 2019, 12:10 AM
UAS Pilot - FAA# *******HRK
Quote:
Originally Posted by walter3rd
Iím going to hope for 3s power and prop clearance. Fingers crossed. Iíll be sure to watt test everything as well
You could always try some of the 3-blade drone props. I've even seen 4 and 6 blade ones. With that low KV motor your gonna have a hard time loading it up if your limited to 6" diameter.

Mike
Oct 05, 2019, 08:10 AM
I just want to go fly!
Thread OP
Good idea! I would love 3 or4 blade props as well. I will look into that for sure.,thanks
Oct 05, 2019, 10:45 AM
I just want to go fly!
Thread OP
Just placed a order for a couple 600 mah 3s batts. Figured I just get two since I’m not sure if I want to fly with smaller or larger battery packs. Wanted to test first before I commit to Quantity. Soldered on the motor connectors to the ESC’s. Want to wait for my batteries before I do my connections to make sure I do the right ones. ordered some counter rotating 3 and 4 blade props to have something to test as a starting point.
Last edited by walter3rd; Oct 05, 2019 at 12:33 PM.

Quick Reply