Making a Canopy Mold - Part 2 - RC Groups
Mar 01, 2005, 05:51 PM
All work and no play

Making a Canopy Mold - Part 2

This is going to show how make the details in a canopy. You can check out the first thread to see how I got to this point. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=299660
Here are some pics of it as it sits. It is for my 60" P51D. I'll get back on tonight after I finish working and I'll explane how I do it.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 01, 2005, 06:16 PM
SlopeHead
Jack

I hope you'll allow me to order the canopy separately. It will be a much better fit than my current improvised one...
Mar 01, 2005, 09:38 PM
All work and no play
OK its 9:30 and I'm done for the night. As I feel inspired I work on the mold between sanding fuses. Now starting from where I left off in the last thread. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=299660. I have a smooth shape to begin with but need detailed frame lines for a nice scale looking canopy. First since nothing really sticks to plaster I sprayed it with 3M77 to aid in tape sticking. Now useing a 3 view and some close up pics I Layed out where all the lines need to be. Once I was happy with where they were I went and pulled a ruff canopy to then repoar another blank.
Mar 01, 2005, 10:09 PM
All work and no play
Once the new mold cured a couple of hours I started to lay down straight lines useing the tape lines as guides. My goal is to take about 1/2 mm off to make the frame stand out. I first use a razor knife and carfully scribe the lines a made and then remove the excess.
Mar 01, 2005, 10:14 PM
All work and no play
Useing a piece of scrap spar I use the corner of the wood to etch away on the edges till I get the scale shape. I did one side first then made a paper template and transfured it over to the other side.
Mar 01, 2005, 10:20 PM
All work and no play
Now I duplicated what I did on the other side to this. Next useing a sharp needle file I scribed in the canopy opening line.
Mar 01, 2005, 10:26 PM
All work and no play
After that all I did tonight was clean up the lines from what was done so far. Tomorrow I'll start my way down the rest of the canopy. Hopefully if all goes well I can pull finished canopys by the weekend. And a pic of the multi thousand dollor tools that have been used for 98% of this project.
Mar 01, 2005, 11:52 PM
Free as a bird now.
Very nice craftsmanship Jack.

You need to come out with a line of pilots and interiors to go inside those clear canopies now!
Mar 02, 2005, 12:50 AM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Really good stuff Jack The one thing I've never done is the vac forming ok the next build thread should be the vacuum box setup so we can all learn from master Jack
I need a canopy for my Ki-61
SteveW
Mar 02, 2005, 09:15 AM
No fuse too fat
Very nice, Jack! Nice sharp detail. I'll have to give this a try on a future project.

Russ.
Latest blog entry: Amigo Racer
Mar 02, 2005, 10:12 AM
Dave Massongill
Cool.... I Know I am first on the list. I love your homemade tools. YOu are a renaissance man Jacko!!!!

dave m
Mar 07, 2005, 09:06 PM
All work and no play
Found some time to get this farther along. I'll stick it in the oven tonight to get the rest of the moisture out . Tomorrow I will fill the pinholes and do the finish sanding and paint. After its painted I can buff it and hopefully pull some canopy's by Wendesday.
Mar 07, 2005, 09:32 PM
Piscine Promulgator
Wow, at the risk of setting aside my legendary impartiality (ROFL!!!), I've got to say that your canopy is freakin' AWESOME! You could probably sell those things separately to the gasser crowd and scratchbuilders and whatnot...looks fantastic!!!

Steve
Mar 07, 2005, 10:29 PM
All work and no play
Thanks, these are ALOT of work. Nothing is done quickly and its very time consuming to get the details right. I've got about 60 hrs into the last 6 canopys I made. Am I crazy wanting to make one for every plane I have??
Mar 09, 2005, 12:58 PM
All work and no play
Its Done! Pulled a couple canopy's today to see how they turned out. I'm very pleased with the results.

Quick Reply