This thread is privately moderated by quitcherbitchen, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Sep 22, 2019, 09:47 PM
How I learned to love the Bomb
Thread OP
Build Log

HK B-17 landing gear mod

Well after 50 missions I got fed up with the stock gear getting wobilly and loose so I decided I needed to do some exploratory surgery and come up with a fix. After cutting up the nacelle pretty good I realized the stock retract cannot be made much better, meaning I would have to cut the stock strut to add an oleo or change to a Freewing B-17 retract. In that I cut up the nacelle I decided to order the Freewing retracts. The pictures are sort of a chronological of my journey. The Freewing retracts do require carving so all my experimental cuts were not in vain. Even if you don't do the Freewing mod the pictures hopefully will give you insight to how the model is made. The stock struts are prone to twist and that causes all sorts of problems on the tarmac. I was thinking of cutting the stock struts and adding an Oleo and that can certainly be done, but the coil has to be kept in order to keep the wheel and strut from hitting the retract unit. The coil is super ugly and the gear leg is too long. The stock gear can also have the allen lugs removed and a bigger allen screw put into it's place. I did that and it held up about 25 landings. But you always have to check them on landing. That just gets annoying. So now that I am putting in the Freewing I hopefully don't have to touch them like most of my other planes. Plus they look pretty cool.
Last edited by quitcherbitchen; Oct 09, 2019 at 05:30 PM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply