Mar 01, 2005, 04:09 PM

What size servo should I use?

I just had a servo go south on me in my eStarter. I'm thinking it was maybe too small, but I'm not sure. It was installed as a single aileron servo. I thought that perhaps it got hung up in the wiring after a nose in or something like that and stripped the gears.

Is there an easy way of figuring out how much torque you need for a particular function?

Steve
to remove ads between posts
Mar 01, 2005, 04:14 PM
On an e-starter it is unlikely you used too small a servo. Gears on the small servos are tiny, and they strip fairly easliy.

You can go to this site to check, but by my guess you would need a servo with 1.6oz of torque - anything can do that!

http://www.mbone.rchomepage.com/serv...calculator.htm

Go get a new gearset replace the gears and make sure the linkage is slop free and that the ailerons work freely.

Mike
Mar 01, 2005, 04:59 PM
Thanks for the link. Very handy. I guess I can put just about anything in there from the looks of it.

Steve
Mar 02, 2005, 08:29 AM
Yep - I remember the days of standard servos being 30in/oz of torque and we used them for everything - one on ailerons on .60 size (7-10lb) ships was fine.

Today the kit manufactures and the radio manufactures are owned by the same parents and they want a servo on every half of a surface. Not bad when the high dollar digital stuff runs $70 a pop. I have seen planes where the servo cost exceeded the airframe cost!

Mike