Sep 22, 2019, 11:30 AM
Thread OP
Build Log

Park Flyer Plastics MD-80/Mad Dog

Wasn't going to show this build as I don't have a whole lot of time to show. Mainly doing it for a friend. Started out with the Park Flyer MD-80 short kit. Using the Owens Corning purple foam you can buy at Home Depot for about $40.00 for a 2" 4'x8' sheet. Real dense foam. Super strong and light weight. I would never buy that 1- 1 1/2lb foam white foam again. Made fuse cutting templates out of .020 G10. Pretty simple to cut. Plans show how to cut. I put one layer of 4oz boating cloth inside fuse sections. Real strong and light. Balsa sheeting wings and stabs with 1/16 balsa. You have to balsa sheet one side of wings before you cut your wing spars. Going to put flaps and retracts in Mad Dog.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 14, 2019, 01:57 PM
Thread OP
Been busy so here it what I have. Made fin out of epoxy glass cloth and a layer of carbon fiber veil. Engine nacelles I made out of epoxy glass cloth. Wings and stabs sheeted balsa over foam. Decided I am going to make the fuse out of epoxy glass cloth. Going to prep the fuse plugs so I can lay the cloth over plugs then pull the foam fuse plugs from inside of epoxy glass cloth. Little bit more work but 80 should be lighter then glassed over foam. Plus just don't like the idea of glassed foam. Seems kind of cheesy to me.
Oct 14, 2019, 03:29 PM
Nice progress.
Nov 03, 2019, 09:21 AM
Thread OP
2 rear glass fuse sections. Front fuse sections almost done. Last build I am showing on here.
Nov 03, 2019, 10:09 AM
Thread OP
Retract mounts and gear bays done. Lined bays with 1/64 plywood.
Nov 07, 2019, 12:51 PM
Thread OP
Stab servo and control rod for stabs.
Nov 19, 2019, 09:23 AM
Thread OP
Pics of the progress. Made front landing gear mount so that retract and steering servo can be removed by removing 2 screws. Fan mounts have more then enough material to install a 80mm fan. I think plane is going to be lighter with the full fiberglass fuse then the glassed foam. When the plane is done I am going to put it up for sale as I did not realize how big it really is.
Nov 19, 2019, 07:49 PM
it's big alright
Nov 19, 2019, 08:13 PM
Thread OP
I can't stand the fuse upright in the room I am building it as the tail hits the ceiling.
Nov 29, 2019, 09:52 AM
Thread OP
Closing thread as I got tired of showing build.

Quick Reply