Thread Tools
Sep 22, 2019, 09:06 AM
Registered User
Thread OP
Help!

LE Sheeting


Hello:
I am building my umpteenth ship...…………..

I've always wondered about the top LE sheets. At the beginning, (after the bottom sheeting, ribs, spar have been glued in place on the plans )I have glued the sheet to the spar and I've glued the sheeting to the LE. Then I wet the sheet top side AND let it dry completely. It curves nicely. Now I struggle with getting the glue on the upside down wing sheeting, so that the glue-trail matches the ribs????????? Then I glue the sheet to the LE or Spar. Most times I am not sure if I really glued the sheeting to the ribs?????

Adding glue to the tops of the ribs is even more of a doubtful procedure...…. It usually runs off of the rib before I am finished putting glue on all of the ribs. Adding glue to just a portion of the wing doesn't work either. Too hard to get the glue bottle between the unglued sheet and the ribs.

Is there a better/easier way?

More than one autopsy has shown incomplete glue joints between the sheet and the ribs. NOT THE CAUSE OF THE FIGURE 9!
TIA!!!!
cheers
Jim
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Sep 22, 2019, 09:08 AM
Registered User
R.M. Gellart's Avatar
Aliphatic glue on both surfaces dry, the iron it in place. Pete Goldsmith covered it some place.

Marc
Sep 22, 2019, 09:49 AM
Registered User
Thread OP

Thanks


Marc:
Thanks for info!
cheers
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.M. Gellart
Aliphatic glue on both surfaces dry, the iron it in place. Pete Goldsmith covered it some place.

Marc
Sep 22, 2019, 04:12 PM
Registered User
mhodgson's Avatar
I have used foam blanks cut to fit the top surface. Apply glue to ribs etc, lay sheeting on, lay foam blank, turn upside down, Add weight and leave. Being upside down any glue runs into the joint.

Ironing trick works well too.
Sep 22, 2019, 04:17 PM
Registered User
I deal with that all the time Jim , I use a glue syringe with a curved tip , the bottles' tip is usually too big and awkward.I'll also tip the wing up 90 deg. just to make it a whole lot easier and more accurate to get the glue in then set it back down to dry .
Sep 22, 2019, 05:04 PM
Registered User
Thread OP

Coool!!!!


THANKS:
I knew there was a reason to keep my hot-wire bow!

cheers
PS: As I plan on building several of this ship, the extra work will be worth it!

THANKS for your info!
cheers
Jim


Quote:
Originally Posted by mhodgson
I have used foam blanks cut to fit the top surface. Apply glue to ribs etc, lay sheeting on, lay foam blank, turn upside down, Add weight and leave. Being upside down any glue runs into the joint.

Ironing trick works well too.
Sep 22, 2019, 07:48 PM
Registered User
Jim,

Iron on with aliphatic. I coat the ribs put sheet in place then pull off and make sure all the ribs areas are coated. Qtip is handy for spreading the glue a little. Let dry and iron.

If I have edge to edge pieces, I use some. Regular model glue on th edge then iron the piece. No pinholes and no waiting for glue to dry. You can do cap strips too. 1/8 is about the max.
Sep 22, 2019, 08:53 PM
Registered User
Thread OP

Thanks


Hi:
Great to hear from you!
Thanks for info!
Cheers
JIm


Quote:
Originally Posted by mlachow
Jim,

Iron on with aliphatic. I coat the ribs put sheet in place then pull off and make sure all the ribs areas are coated. Qtip is handy for spreading the glue a little. Let dry and iron.

If I have edge to edge pieces, I use some. Regular model glue on th edge then iron the piece. No pinholes and no waiting for glue to dry. You can do cap strips too. 1/8 is about the max.
Sep 22, 2019, 10:45 PM
B for Bruce
BMatthews's Avatar
What about a hypodermic needle and syringe filled with aliphatic glue? That'll let you reach in and apply your glue.

If you're applying enough that it dribbles off the ribs then it's too much. You don't need anymore than just a slight bead of glue that does not crown over the edges of the rib. If it does again you're using too much.

Another option that might help is to not glue the sheeting to the spar. Can you arrange a strip of wood and clamp it down instead of gluing it to the spar? That way you can lift it off and glue it all at one time.
Sep 23, 2019, 07:46 AM
Registered User
Thread OP

Thanks


Hi:
I normally "dry-fit" all parts anyway. so your suggestion is really just a neat type of "dry-fit"!!

Will do shortly!
cheers
Jim




Quote:
Originally Posted by BMatthews
What about a hypodermic needle and syringe filled with aliphatic glue? That'll let you reach in and apply your glue.

If you're applying enough that it dribbles off the ribs then it's too much. You don't need anymore than just a slight bead of glue that does not crown over the edges of the rib. If it does again you're using too much.

Another option that might help is to not glue the sheeting to the spar. Can you arrange a strip of wood and clamp it down instead of gluing it to the spar? That way you can lift it off and glue it all at one time.
Last edited by vintagesailplnr; Sep 23, 2019 at 07:48 AM. Reason: fat fingures
Sep 23, 2019, 08:28 AM
Registered User

My technique


Jim,

I have been using Elmer’s white glue and tape (Scotch Blue) for awhile now. This works every time.

1) Small bottle of Elmer’s white glue - regular, not the school stuff

2) Scotch Blue tape



3) Trial fit and cut LE sheeting with ~ 1/4 inch overhang on LE (sub LE). Most important part is fit to Dihedral break - I spend time on this

4) Ensure building surface is free of warps

5) Move wing to within 1/2” of building surface front edge

6) Use weights (with pads) tp keep wing from moving
Sep 23, 2019, 08:31 AM
Registered User
Just a few initial pics:
Sep 23, 2019, 08:37 AM
Registered User

Pics


Trial fit

Move forward to edge of board
Sep 23, 2019, 08:39 AM
Registered User
Get your glue and tape ready
Sep 23, 2019, 08:42 AM
Registered User
I double glue virtually everything - place a bead, fit, white off.

Start with ribs, place on LE sheeting, wipe off.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question Gap filling between LE/TE and edge of sheeting. jpurcha Balsa Builders 13 Sep 15, 2013 10:09 AM
Build Log When to sheet the LE of a wing? flyboulder 3D Flying 1 May 13, 2008 11:30 AM
Le Truth? Le Tour.. partoftheproblem Life, The Universe, and Politics 99 Sep 09, 2005 08:46 PM