Mar 01, 2005, 02:09 PM
Blue skies forever!!
Thread OP

Epoxy or Polyester resin??

I'm about ready to lay-up a mold for my latest PSS project and was wondering which resin was better to use?? I have some West Systems epoxy resin with some fast hardner (105). What are the pro's and con's of each? Thanks.

Jeff
to remove ads between posts
Mar 01, 2005, 03:16 PM
Just from a cost stand point, go with the poly for making molds and use West for the actual fuse. This is what most of us do.
Robb
Mar 01, 2005, 04:13 PM
F3X
F3X
One is stable, smells less, stronger, tougher and shrinks less.

The other is polyester.
Mar 01, 2005, 04:49 PM
No fuse too fat
Jeff,
I'd go with epoxy for the mold and layup the fuses in either poly or epoxy, whichever you prefer. If you use poly for the mold, there is a good chance it will warp.

Russ.
Mar 01, 2005, 05:07 PM
That friggin Laird Guy
Yea what they said. Epoxy is the way to go for the mold. Less warpage which means next year when you want a fuse the mold will probably still be straight.

TFLG
Mar 01, 2005, 10:41 PM
Blue skies forever!!
Thread OP
Sounds good......I"ll go with the epoxy resin then. Thanks for the advice.

Jeff V
Mar 02, 2005, 01:56 AM
You might also want to go with the 209 hardner to give you more working time-- it also dries VERY strong and hard. I use 205 for fast work-- 206 in warm weather-- 209 for laying up my molds. Gives me plenty of time to overlay all the layers I want to complete the mold.
FYI
Tim

Quick Reply