Sep 21, 2019, 07:21 AM
Thread OP
Help!

Tail motor runs sporadically & "Rumbles" ***Solved***

I have successfully built several tricopters but I have recently had problems with the tail motor running sporadically and revving up too fast at idle once the FC is armed. It also makes an disconcerting noise which sounds like a rumbling. I have trouble shot and replaced the motor (both brand new motors), ESC, checked the output voltage and resoldered the power leads and signal wire to different spots on the PDB with no changes to the performance. I've also checked all the typical issues (nothing touching the copper windings, I used a smoke stopper, nothing stuck in the motor housing, etc.) The other two motors and the servo work perfectly. This has happened to me on one other tricopter as well. This version has a Kakute F4 V2 with EMax 2205 motors running DRonin for tricopters. Also, the motor runs perfectly when I "test motor outputs" from the Output screen in DRonin. It only fails when I arm when disconnected from the GCS.

Please help! Anyone know what would make the tail motor display this behavior?

***** Solved, @jihlein is a genius. *****

Thanks
Last edited by adamcooney1; Sep 21, 2019 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Solved
to remove ads between posts
Sep 22, 2019, 10:58 AM
USAF Vet Senior Member
I have a similar issue.
What was the solution?
Sep 22, 2019, 05:04 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterv
I have a similar issue.
What was the solution?
With DRonin you must do the ground ServoCal (While contected to the GCS/ computer, engage ServoCal flight mode and pull the Pitch stick down (David W. calls it "TRiFlight mode" in his video which originally threw me.)) Surprisinglyg the tail movement has direct impact on the motor performance. As soon as I did that the problem was fixed.

Good luck.
Sep 22, 2019, 05:38 PM
USAF Vet Senior Member
Interesting. No good for my quad with that problem. Will try and find his video. So many!
Sep 23, 2019, 08:49 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterv
Interesting. No good for my quad with that problem. Will try and find his video. So many!
Here you go:
New firmware! | dRronin | Custom Tricopter Setup Video - Autotune! (15 min 48 sec)
Sep 26, 2019, 06:03 PM
USAF Vet Senior Member
Thank You!

Quick Reply