Sep 21, 2019, 02:40 AM
ancora imparo
Thread OP
Mini-HowTo

Safe Disposal of LiPo Batteries

There is a wide variety of advice on these threads and the internet about LiPo battery disposal - much of it incorrect or based on false assumptions.

A couple of us (Daedalus66 and jj604) decided to prepare a simple language document on the preferred way to dispose of those old, dead, or mangled LIPo packs based on sound information and some current advice from someone who actually knows what he is talking about. Our gratitude to Dipl.-Ing. Frank Siegert who is a qualified Engineer and is the author of the presentation "Lithium Polymer
Battery Technology: An introduction".

Frank agreed to check our work for technical accuracy but all errors are our responsibility.
If people have information based on good data we would be grateful for any feedback, comments and corrections and I have reserved a few initial posts for additional information.

By "based on good data" we don't mean "I have always done it this way and it works" or "I believe....."

The document is attached as a pdf file and is reasonably small so should download quickly.
Last edited by jj604; Sep 21, 2019 at 06:10 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 21, 2019, 02:41 AM
ancora imparo
Thread OP

Reserved

Reserved
Sep 21, 2019, 02:42 AM
ancora imparo
Thread OP

Reserved 2

Reserved 2
Sep 21, 2019, 02:43 AM
ancora imparo
Thread OP

Reserved 3

Reserved 3
Sep 21, 2019, 04:59 AM
NEVER ACCEPT ANY PUFFED UP BATTERY !!!

That battery can go to flaming sparks at any time. You have NO NO way to prevent the fire from happening. The battery is in COMPLETE control of when it will burst into fire. I have had packs start swelling after a charge. Each day was a slightly bigger bulging. Big high wattage wire wound 1 Ohm resistor across it on a 40 foot wide piece of CONCRETE parking lot. Metal garbage can placed over it. Only had 1 get much bigger at the end of a complete discharge to 0 volts. Wearing a full face shield. Resistor still connected. Then into the METAL trash can for several days later. Then the curbside can.

The 1 Ohm resistor CAN cause a flaming battery. Luck is totally in charge of a puffed up battery. Until 0 volts is measured at the battery terminals for several hours.

My way of disposing of a bad battery......……….. LIPO is too risky for sport flying. I only use LIFEPO4 A123 cells now.

We have plenty of powerful electric motors to carry the extra weight EASILY.
Last edited by cyclops2; Sep 21, 2019 at 07:49 AM.
Sep 21, 2019, 05:20 PM
The Other Side of Your Screen
Good content and myth dispelling. Make it a Sticky.

Possible change of wording on the light bulbs. The 21W filament is the Brake/Turn signal (high) wattage filament and the 5W filament is just the running light (low) wattage part of the bulb.
Sep 21, 2019, 06:11 PM
ancora imparo
Thread OP
Thanks - now fixed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSport
Good content and myth dispelling. Make it a Sticky.

Possible change of wording on the light bulbs. The 21W filament is the Brake/Turn signal (high) wattage filament and the 5W filament is just the running light (low) wattage part of the bulb.
Sep 21, 2019, 07:31 PM
We are not men, we are DEVO 7e
nice guide.
I have a silly question:

it says to cut off each lead separately, then strip the wires and twist together (with possibility of sparking). why not just cut them both at the same time with some insulated dykes and make a lil spark?
Sep 21, 2019, 07:36 PM
The Other Side of Your Screen
I think it is just good practice. If for some reason the pack is not discharged, the 100+amp discharge will send dyke shrapnel your way or at least some way.
Sep 21, 2019, 07:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSport
I think it is just good practice. If for some reason the pack is not discharged, the 100+amp discharge will send dyke shrapnel your way or at least some way.
yes, but the next step says to strip and twist bare wires together. id sure want the dykes to spark as a bit of warning before i started twisting.
Sep 21, 2019, 07:41 PM
Once the battery is fully discharged. There is no need to cut anything.
Sep 21, 2019, 07:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops2
Once the battery is fully discharged. There is no need to cut anything.
sure there is.
to salvage the connector.
Sep 21, 2019, 09:25 PM
@jj604, can you please come to my field and let some of the more senior fliers know that a puffed battery is not good, that charging, and leaving a battery charged for long lengths of time is not good, and that hot batteries after landing isn't good. I've written several information newsletters about lipo care, charging, discharging, and storage, yet still...

Great PDF. Thanks for writing this.

Daren
Sep 21, 2019, 11:51 PM
If you cut both wires at the same time and get sparks, you are damaging your cutting tool; not only will it dull the edge, the surge of current can take some of the temper out of the steel, making them overall weaker.
Sep 22, 2019, 01:33 AM
ancora imparo
Thread OP
I would love to but it's a fairly long drive - over 16,000km. Daedalus66 is closer. He is in Ottowa.

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daren71
@jj604, can you please come to my field and let some of the more senior fliers know that a puffed battery is not good, that charging, and leaving a battery charged for long lengths of time is not good, and that hot batteries after landing isn't good. I've written several information newsletters about lipo care, charging, discharging, and storage, yet still...

Great PDF. Thanks for writing this.

Daren

Quick Reply