Sep 20, 2019, 09:05 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Dumas Miller America 1/8 scale hydroplane

My friend gave me this boat to build. He started 30 years ago, so I assume since I can build model airplanes I can build a boat. I don't know but I'm going to give it a shot.I've been reading other trades that I know a lot of people say don't even bother but that's not the point here. It's my friends dream and so on. But I try to make it so. I know I have to get all new hardware the stuffing box and rudder and the Steer finned all wrong. So with that being said, any suggestions on motor ESC stuffing box I'm thinking something around 8S and I'm not sure where the battery placement is I seen some pictures but if anybody has a better set up let me see it so I can figure out how am going to do this. I'm also going to need to replumb the coolant lines so the rudder can supply water and so forth. Any suggestions will be appreciated

Best regards Larry
to remove ads between posts
Sep 21, 2019, 01:47 AM
Sorry i can,t advise you on motor size etc etc but i am sure Paul [ 758 boats ] will be able to give you all the needed info when he see,s this post as he races this size hydro etc etc. looking great.
Sep 21, 2019, 10:24 AM
Steps? What steps?
The NAMBA race setup for 1/8 scale hydros is also a good, reliable power setup for sport boats. If you won’t race then 8S power with any good 1527-size motor and a Kv around 850 will work great. Props between 52-57 mm and an ESC capable of 8S and 150 amps minimum.

The biggest challenge will likely be getting the CG correct. The packs need to be as far forward as practical.
Sep 21, 2019, 02:10 PM
Registered Racer
Nice garage project
Sep 21, 2019, 04:52 PM
RELAX. You'll live longer
Larry.
Good call by Zozer. definitely the way to go.

My 1/8 hydro setups on 8s have motors with higher kv than the 850kv motors.
Like 1250kv, 1210kv, & 1080kv. That ends up with higher amps & requiring smaller less efficient props.
My next one will have an 850kv motor in it though.
Sep 24, 2019, 03:18 AM
Thread OP
help. angle of attack of the canard??the plan is marked 7/16 from top of deck at rear of canard.
Sep 24, 2019, 04:54 PM
Thread OP

9/24/19

todays work.
Sep 25, 2019, 05:20 AM
Good luck with the build! What are you planning to power it with?
Sep 25, 2019, 08:20 AM
Thread OP

Battery placement

This boat is old so there is a lot of reinforcement right where I want to cut the holes in the for the battery,
the photo the pics where I want to place the batteries. Is this a good place to you think.
Everybody's tell me to put them as far forward as you can.
Sep 25, 2019, 06:45 PM
An interesting project. I built a Zipp Kits JAE 21FE and it was a hoot to build. Just be careful you don't blow out the side of the sponsons with all that foam. One of the things I had to be very careful of was mounting the sponson tubes into the tub to make sure they were square.
I would suggest the website Offshore Electrics @ http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/
They have a great forum for electric boats.
Another great site is ML Boatworks / http://woodrcboatkits.com that offers a ton of boat kits for both electric and gas. They have some killer sport hydros for electric.
Good luck with the build and let us know how it turns out.
Sep 26, 2019, 04:39 PM
RELAX. You'll live longer
Larry.
The build is coming along fine.
Make 100% sure that the foam has completely cured in the center BEFORE you glue on the top skins. Pierce it with a pencil or screwdriver & make sure that it is not still sticky in the center of the sections.
It will grow some more & bulge the wood if it is not completely set.

I feel the battery placement might be too far to the rear.
this might make the cog too far back.

The CoG should be between 1" & 2" behind the heel of the sponsons.
That's with everything in place, like, motor, ESC, batteries, strut, rudder servo, stuffing tube & shaft cowling etc.
Can you temporarily place those things in the hull to see where the balance point ends up?
Can the packs fit in the nose pod?

Cheers.
Paul.
Sep 26, 2019, 06:03 PM
Thread OP
Paul I can only fit one battery up in the fuel compartment

Quick Reply