Sep 20, 2019, 08:02 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

budget plane knife-edge loop

Hi, I've been learning to do slow rolling loops in the sim and I'm looking for a cheap-ish PnP electric plane which can do a knife-edge loop, and has plenty of vertical. NB something that bolts together in a few minutes (no kits).

Any suggestions?
to remove ads between posts
Sep 20, 2019, 08:19 PM
Roughly what wingspan, price and li-po size are you hoping for?
Sep 21, 2019, 03:46 AM
Thread OP
About 1m, 4S, £200-ish

ETA: I've got the EFlite Pitts 850 in mind, but I don't know whether it can climb in knife-edge. The EFlite Extra 300 is a bit expensive.

Even a profile plane would be ok, but the ones I found on HK require a lot of work to assemble.
Sep 21, 2019, 09:56 AM
Hobby King Hummer

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/h-king-h...ne-1000mm.html

$35D,US. Not too many parts. Went together in a few days.
Sep 21, 2019, 10:40 AM
The hard part of a KE loop is not the climb out, it's transitioning from the down line side and getting it pointed/moving across the bottom. That's the piece that separates the men from the boys....

Playing with big KE figure 8's out in front of you might help with the control over your speed and what that plane should look like on the down line.

I'd be looking for a profile myself, but not familiar with anything available in plug and play.
Sep 21, 2019, 02:29 PM
Suspended Account
You say no kits but i have to say, modern kits are like a 1 - 1 1/2 hour build at the very most.

How hard is it to glue on a wing and tailplane?

For learning any KE manoeuvres you need a deep fuselage plane with a relatively light wing loading.

This will allow you to slow things down and play around more with speed, angles of Fus and of course rudder usage.
Sep 22, 2019, 03:55 AM
Thread OP
Definitely no kits, also my flying site is on a hill and there's nearly always 10mph+ wind, I'm not sure a profile plane would cope with that.

From browsing the FMS F3A Olympus 1400 looks the ticket, but sadly the fuse is too long to fit in my car. Its little brother the FMS Explorer F3A is only 3S... pity there isn't something in between.

Dynam Sbach 342 1.2M also looks quite good, and is 4S.

I'd welcome any other suggestions.
Sep 22, 2019, 07:06 AM
I know its not exactly budget but the Parkmaster is the easiest plane to knife Edge Loop. You will be amazed at how easy.
Sep 22, 2019, 07:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew73
Definitely no kits, also my flying site is on a hill and there's nearly always 10mph+ wind, I'm not sure a profile plane would cope with that.

From browsing the FMS F3A Olympus 1400 looks the ticket, but sadly the fuse is too long to fit in my car. Its little brother the FMS Explorer F3A is only 3S... pity there isn't something in between.

Dynam Sbach 342 1.2M also looks quite good, and is 4S.

I'd welcome any other suggestions.
I'm not sure I would expect to learn much about KE loops with an F3A type plane. They're generally a bit longer in the tail (long tail moment), and built to fly like an arrow - straight! Though they can be very acrobatic in the right hands, they are never going to 3D well.

10mph winds will be a challenge, but will make you a better pilot in the end. A LOT of guys will sideline their planes in wind like that. It does mean that smaller planes are not going to do well. You'll be waiting around forever for wind conditions to settle down, where a bigger plane will be able to fly in those conditions. Little plane will fly and be controllable, but it will be in survival mode. You aren't going to have time to learn anything about 3D.

The bolt it together in 10 minutes and go fly mindset is restricting your choices big time. You might want to reconsider that if you are serious about 3D. Or maybe buy something like that, learn how to fly with it, and THEN go looking for a 3D plane.

Something like the Hummer can fly and do 3D well, they are not expensive, and they aren't that tough for a rookie builder. First one may not be pretty, but so what? You learn from your mistakes, and this first plane, and no matter your best intentions, is not going to stay pretty for long anyway. A good 3D trainer is a plane that can be easily repaired. It's not a question of "IF" it will be crashed, or even how many times it will be crashed. It's ALL about a plane that's easily repaired after a crash! Think hard how your bolt together and go fly plane is going to look after a few crashes!
Sep 22, 2019, 08:00 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks
I'm not sure I would expect to learn much about KE loops with an F3A type plane. They're generally a bit longer in the tail (long tail moment), and built to fly like an arrow - straight! Though they can be very acrobatic in the right hands, they are never going to 3D well.
I don't want to do 3D tricks, it's more pattern flying and big sky stuff including aerobatics such as rolling circles and rolling loops.

I've been learning in the sim (Phoenix) using the Weston Capiche 140, ideally I want something smaller and cheaper that will fly similar.
Sep 22, 2019, 09:29 AM
KE loops and KE rollers are 3D moves.
Sep 22, 2019, 12:03 PM
Fms Explorer is with in what your looking for. Don't think that because it's 3s that it don't have any power. That's not always true. It flys nicely and is a good deal.
Sep 23, 2019, 06:49 PM
If you’re learning to fly any style you will need to learn how to do repairs. Best way to learn is to build from a kit. They are easy and fun. Value hobby or twisted hobby 32” EPP planes are the best. Light weight means minimal damage. No fear of crashing means fun and fast learning.
Bigger heavier planes mean major damage when you do crash—you will crash several times a session if you’re doing it right! $30 value hobby kits are unbeatable for learning and they fly extremely well. Your first several planes are basically throw aways after a few months of constant crashing.
Sep 23, 2019, 07:03 PM
Soar high, huck low
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jotasol
If you’re learning to fly any style you will need to learn how to do repairs. Best way to learn is to build from a kit. They are easy and fun. Value hobby or twisted hobby 32” EPP planes are the best. Light weight means minimal damage. No fear of crashing means fun and fast learning.
Bigger heavier planes mean major damage when you do crash—you will crash several times a session if you’re doing it right! $30 value hobby kits are unbeatable for learning and they fly extremely well. Your first several planes are basically throw aways after a few months of constant crashing.
Truth.
Latest blog entry: Super sized Delta combat wing
Sep 23, 2019, 07:04 PM
The hummer is better in the wind than the 32” planes. I fly a beat up hummer in the winter—I need to get a new one or a better motor because it’s heavy with all the repairs.

Quick Reply