Sep 20, 2019, 11:59 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Motor and propeller advice for a home made hovercraft

I'm planning to build a very basic version of a hovercraft with a leaf blower inflating a tarp 'skirt' wrapped around a sheet of plywood. There a number of youtube videos featuring DIY hovercrafts like these. However, I would like to take it a step further and add a petrol motor with propeller for forward movement like these two videos:

Hovercraft Project - 2008 Improvements (9 min 50 sec)

Hovercraft homemade - High-school Project - Full Video (10 min 35 sec)

Problem is I am clueless about motors. I am considering getting this one for my upcoming hovercraft build:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/253031141216

Though how would I mount or attach the propeller? Obviously, this kind of motor wouldn't be designed specifically with a propeller in mind. And the other question is whereabouts would I mount it? I'm guessing that a propeller might be attached to something spinning like a fan? It looks like there are two circular things on this motor in the pictures but I'm not sure if one of them is a fan or not.

Additionally, would anyone have any idea what size / pitch etc of propeller would be suitable for a motor like this?

And looking at the motor, would it be possible to get an idea of the start up sequence? For example, all I know is that you'd have to pull a cord to start the motor. After that, would it be in idle or neutral or something like that? And then would there be throttle control and some kind of release for the acceleration?

I guess it's pretty obvious from my questions that I am clueless about motors / engines etc. However, if I can get working with something like this, I think it will improve my knowledge in this area which would be beneficial later down the track for different types of projects and tasks. I think it will be a valuable learning experience.
Last edited by dragonblade; Sep 21, 2019 at 11:49 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 21, 2019, 10:55 PM
Thread OP
I see that I'm not getting any replies here. Could anyone recommend some forums that are likely to have people who are knowledgeable about this subject matter?

Quick Reply