Sep 28, 2019, 08:28 PM
Thread OP

Venue changed to Thornton Beach, pilotís meeting at 11:30am

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Olson
Mehrdad,

Ron and I will not make it down to Thornton tomorrow. Hope the conditions beat the forecast for everyone.

Dave
Dave, thanks for posting. Sorry it didn't work out this time. We will miss you both.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 29, 2019, 09:13 PM
Beautiful day in lighter conditions, great flying! Thanks Mehrdad you did a great job with a limited number of pilots. Ken was grooving today and flew excellent. I flew the pitbull the whole day and it definitely seems competitive, one the pilot catches up
Sep 29, 2019, 09:49 PM
Thread OP
Thanks to everyone for coming out today to make it happen.

Fun day racing in soft conditions that eventually built up into lower teens wind wise. Checking today's sensor readings for SF and Bodega buoys show gusts were 10 to 13mph. Thornton's lip at least has more compression that we didn't have to worry about landing out. It got windier the 2nd half of race but never really strong. This made for a very pleasant day at the coast.

Though we had few pilots we used the SoCal organizers' shift-by-2 rotation combined with 2ups, and this seemed to work well. We got 14 rounds done, started around noon with last round in progress at 4pm.

Some great flying by all and congrats to the winners.
Sep 30, 2019, 10:13 AM
Great call on the venue. We would have been skunked up North yesterday. Not easy calls to make, glad Mehrdad made the change that allowed us to get in another great race at Thornton. It is amazing that we were able to dip into the high 40’s with only 12-14 mph wind speed.

Congrats Mehrdad and Ken. Great flying.

Looking forward to the season finale on 10/27!
Last edited by curdman; Sep 30, 2019 at 10:19 AM.
Sep 30, 2019, 10:56 PM
Expert Rekitter
Great call indeed! It was raining at Fort Ross at 2pm and was off and on rain through the evening.
I really enjoyed flying with you guys yesterday, and special thanks to Mehrdad for making it happen!
I did manage some videos so first one is Mehrdad and Scott doing round 5+6 Enjoy!

Merhdad and scott from center chair 5+6 (7 min 7 sec)
Oct 01, 2019, 10:29 PM
Thread OP
Thank you gentlemen. You all made it easy with your online and offline help weather calling, flexibility to fly either site, and then at pilot's meeting with great suggestions and group consensus.

Scott helped me a lot behind the scenes on weighing pros/cons of each site and planning for contingency.

As we experienced this past Sunday, even at Thornton the wind that was forecasted never came. A margin of safety let us at least get some flying and fun.

Mike, thanks for the video. I kept wanting to take a photo during the race and just never got a chance so thanks a lot for sharing to remember the day.
Oct 03, 2019, 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MikeR
Great call indeed! It was raining at Fort Ross at 2pm and was off and on rain through the evening.
I really enjoyed flying with you guys yesterday, and special thanks to Mehrdad for making it happen!
I did manage some videos so first one is Mehrdad and Scott doing round 5+6 Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpsP...ature=youtu.be
Good to see this from ground level, Flew over you guys in my Blue Sport 3, looks like you were having a good time.

Quick Reply