Sep 19, 2019, 07:17 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

New Transmitter. Which way do i go?

Hi everyone, I'm new to the multi rotor scene after after many years of flying planes. My radio of choice is a JR X9303 with a Frsky DJT module.....Now that I'm moving into drones i need a radio thats better suited to multi rotor and FPV flying.
I love my JR so much I'm thinking of just swaping to the Frsky XJT module to take advantage of X series recievers with SBus and use OSD instead of full Frsky telemetry. Will i regret this decision? Or should i buy a Frsky Taranis plus instead and ditch my trusty JR? The Taranis looks exactly like the JR X9303 so i assume it feels the same? No?
.......Cheers.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 19, 2019, 09:36 PM
Your JR is fine. I have two of those and I still use them with a Spektrum module. Your idea to get the XJT module is a good one as you do want to use the X series receivers for quads. I prefer the R-XSR. The only downsides to sticking with your JR is that you will not have telemetry or voice warnings like you get from the Taranis but with a good OSD setup you have the necessary info like battery voltage and RSSI. The Taranis plus does feel very much like the X9303. The case is extremely similar. You might consider just moving to the Taranis and put the money you would have spent on the module toward that.
Sep 20, 2019, 09:15 AM
This is a question I have also. I know for me I am looking for someone to just tell me what is best. Then you get all kinds of answers why whoevers radio is the best, and they are all valid. That's the beauty of this question. I have a Futaba 10J and although it can control, it can only be used with Futaba receivers. Also no USB. I see all this BNF stuff I would like to get, but I can't use my radio. I was looking at a Taranis QX7. I would like to see everyone say this is the best radio, so I can buy it.
Sep 20, 2019, 10:51 AM
Yes - there are lots of good radio options out there. (and some not so good too.) I personally have switched mostly to FrSky Taranis Plus SE for my flying both quads and planes.
Sep 20, 2019, 05:40 PM
Thread OP
Anyone who's ever owned and used JR (or Futaba) transmitters will know what i'm talking about. The quality, the feel and usability is suburb and its hard to give that up for the modern cheaper radios with modern technology such as telemetry. Will i use or need that technology or computer connectivity?
I guess what i'm looking for are people who have owned the older JR(dsx9, x9303) of Futaba stuff, switched to Frsky Taranis as opposed to buying a Taranis as their first transmitter, and decided it was a good decision. There are vertically no comparisons on the net...........
Sep 21, 2019, 06:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravelsandwich
Anyone who's ever owned and used JR (or Futaba) transmitters will know what i'm talking about. The quality, the feel and usability is suburb and its hard to give that up for the modern cheaper radios with modern technology such as telemetry. Will i use or need that technology or computer connectivity?
I guess what i'm looking for are people who have owned the older JR(dsx9, x9303) of Futaba stuff, switched to Frsky Taranis as opposed to buying a Taranis as their first transmitter, and decided it was a good decision. There are vertically no comparisons on the net...........
I have a Futaba 14SG, FrSky Taranis X9D and Frsky X-Lite; no comparison, gimbals and feel of the Futaba is superb. I mean a Futaba is 3x the price but you can feel it.

I bought the Futaba 14SG because no one could help me with the FrSky to setup collective for a Heli (and yet ironically I still havent even finished setting it up) so I've only used the Futaba mainly in simulators but the gimbals are just so much smoother and the soft feel plastics are far higher quality. For mini and micro quads though the FrSky is really tightly integrated in terms of the fact the RX's are nice and small, excellent features and significantly cheaper. I don't use my X9D anymore, I prefer the ergonomics of the X-lite far more, a lot easier to hold, a lot easier to reach full throws of the gimbal sticks as a thumber.

If the X-lite felt as smooth and was built as well as the Futaba but with the use of the smaller rx's at the same price point, it'd be a no brainer purchase.

There are too many factors for me though. I want to use my Futaba for my planes these days and for flying freestyle fpv on quads, but the rx's are too expensive especially when I can get an rx for my X-lite with built in stabilisation on a plane for 1/3 of the Futaba rx by itself, much less messing around with adding a stabiliser to the Futaba rx, so for value for money + features it just doesn't make sense despite the fact I would like the smoothness of the Futaba radio for the planes + freestyle type flying.

So I dunno, I feel like it's like being stuck between a rock and a hard place in terms of choice.
Sep 21, 2019, 06:35 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suteki
I have a Futaba 14SG, FrSky Taranis X9D and Frsky X-Lite; no comparison, gimbals and feel of the Futaba is superb. I mean a Futaba is 3x the price but you can feel it.

I bought the Futaba 14SG because no one could help me with the FrSky to setup collective for a Heli (and yet ironically I still havent even finished setting it up) so I've only used the Futaba mainly in simulators but the gimbals are just so much smoother and the soft feel plastics are far higher quality. For mini and micro quads though the FrSky is really tightly integrated in terms of the fact the RX's are nice and small, excellent features and significantly cheaper. I don't use my X9D anymore, I prefer the ergonomics of the X-lite far more, a lot easier to hold, a lot easier to reach full throws of the gimbal sticks as a thumber.

If the X-lite felt as smooth and was built as well as the Futaba but with the use of the smaller rx's at the same price point, it'd be a no brainer purchase.

There are too many factors for me though. I want to use my Futaba for my planes these days and for flying freestyle fpv on quads, but the rx's are too expensive especially when I can get an rx for my X-lite with built in stabilisation on a plane for 1/3 of the Futaba rx by itself, much less messing around with adding a stabiliser to the Futaba rx, so for value for money + features it just doesn't make sense despite the fact I would like the smoothness of the Futaba radio for the planes + freestyle type flying.

So I dunno, I feel like it's like being stuck between a rock and a hard place in terms of choice.

I totally get what your saying! I'm a "thumber" and fly my planes in mode 1 with a JR XP9303 and DJT module. With quads i prefer mode 2, i have a second JR radio i propose to use with the XJT module. Interesting you prefer the gamer style controller instead of the Taranis. I never thought about those........might look into it.
Sep 22, 2019, 01:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravelsandwich
I totally get what your saying! I'm a "thumber" and fly my planes in mode 1 with a JR XP9303 and DJT module. With quads i prefer mode 2, i have a second JR radio i propose to use with the XJT module. Interesting you prefer the gamer style controller instead of the Taranis. I never thought about those........might look into it.
I prefer the gamer style controller mainly because as a thumber with average sized hands, it's easier to reach the full upper throw and inside controller throws of the gimbals; where a big bulky box I found I had to make small adjustments in hand position to get those same movements. The other aspect of that was I fly very center stick and don't use big movements when I am racing a track, so I actually prefer the smaller throw which makes the inputs slightly more sensitive. Some people had to lengthen their sticks as standard, the throws with the shorter stick means you get more input for smaller movements, but they wanted to dial that back a bit by increasing the stick length.

I also shortened the springs on the X-lite gimbals to make them tighter as you don't have tension adjustments; but for freestyle and planes I would prefer longer throws and less tension, especially for 3D with planes (not that I am good at that but it feels more comfortable when I'm on the sim vs the increased tension and shorter throw).

Ergonomically though for me it's no contest, the gamer style controls are far easier to hold, when I use a normal controller style I'm constantly aware I'm holding a larger box, with the gamer style control I just complete forget it's there.
Oct 04, 2019, 02:20 PM
!!!SkySlayer!!!
I have a original frsky xlite and all the options are amazing. I have a switch setup that tells me the rssi, battery voltage, and voltage per cell. But you can set it up to tell you any sensor you have available . What ever sensors that are in your flight controller and connected to it you would get that on your transmiter. And I have a r9m lite pro for the long range. So it's the perfect transmiter for me. If you have the extra cash the xlite pro has even more features, like a spectrum analyzer and a power meter and you can control channels by the pitch, and roll, and yaw axis of the transmiter. Maybe for gimbal or you could even control the flight controls with them. Definitely something to check out, I have used a qx7 and if you prefer the full size controller the Taranis X9 Lite is the new inexpensive frsky transmiter that supports the newest frisky protocols
Last edited by G.wayne; Oct 04, 2019 at 02:28 PM. Reason: My 2 cents is free!
Oct 06, 2019, 05:09 PM
FA3PR9WM79
I used JR stuff back in the 1990's. First one was a HeliMax 6 and the second onw was an X-347.

I have a FlySky TH9x that I have upgraded to run OpenTX, but even with an XJT module the 9x just can't compare to a Taranis.

I have an X9E that I use for my aerial photography rigs, a QX7 that I use for FPV and a couple of smaller Pixhawk rigs, and a Jumper T12 that I don't use for anything because to me it feels more like a toy grade transmitter...

My recommendation is the QX7. It has an internal XJT transmitter AND an open JR module bay so you can add Crossfire, R9M, a Multiprotocol module (which is good for most toy grade quads), Spektrum, or any other TX module that works in a JR style module bay. Also, I thing the ergonomics are spot on, and I've seen them for sale for under $100.00, which is less than what I paid for mine just a few months ago....

Quick Reply