This thread is privately moderated by SteveT., who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Sep 19, 2019, 01:37 PM
Trader Rating: 127
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
Thread OP
Wanted

Warning!! Possible scammer!!

Possible scammer...

I have an ad looking for a Min Funtana cowl and canopy, and this morning, I received this...

Quote:
A friend I met at a UPS branch mentioned he had those for sale , you should contact him at

[email protected]

Apologies if this is an intrusion
Do you think his friend might have the Brooklyn Bridge for sale???? And if so he would want the funds sent via 'Friends and Family'???? Everybody... please inundate this guy with email...

Why do there seem to be so many people with no morals these days??

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My shop....
to remove ads between posts
Sep 19, 2019, 02:54 PM
Trader Rating: 30
This has become a commonly used scam.
AVOID and ignore.
Unfortunately there are some individuals who will fall for it.
Sep 19, 2019, 03:14 PM
Trader Rating: 127
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
Thread OP
Yup... I just posted this to get the guys name out there..

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My shop....
Sep 19, 2019, 03:18 PM
Trader Rating: 11
It is sad but the fact that since there is, for the most part, no price to pay for such activity more and more people will take every advantage to cheat someone. Once the element of public shame is eliminated, as it has already, there are no limits. A quick glance at any current headlines of the day will show that there is no price to pay for most any deceit and no limit to what people will try to do. Best I can say is BEWARE and enjoy your hobby while you can. Thanks for the heads-up.
Sep 19, 2019, 04:04 PM
Trader Rating: 79
Hey Thanks for the heads up! I got this reply to my wanted add too!!!!
Sep 19, 2019, 04:10 PM
Trader Rating: 64
These days if you post a wanted ad you're almost guaranteed to get a private message from a new member saying they have a friend who has item X and then give you their email. There's threads about this in the trader talk section.
Sep 19, 2019, 06:45 PM
Trader Rating: 25
TAILSPIN
Thanks for heads up. Never gave it much thought.
Sep 19, 2019, 07:41 PM
Trader Rating: 36
Yes, I got it also! Even sent me pictures of the item I was looking for making it look so real. Then they want you to send the money via friends and family. I’m going to have some fun the next time. It’s really sickening how some people intrude on such a nice hobby with such good people. They are getting banned when they get caught, only to come back as a new member.
Sep 19, 2019, 07:46 PM
Trader Rating: 64
I got the same message today as well...
Sep 19, 2019, 07:46 PM
Trader Rating: 36

Skam

Tried to get me as well!
Sep 19, 2019, 08:24 PM
Trader Rating: 23
Damn I got a similar email when I posted a "Wanted" ad in the electric airplane section. I had no idea it was a scam an actually sent an email to the guy.
Sep 19, 2019, 08:35 PM
Trader Rating: 23
Below is my email to "Jake" regarding the purchase of an Airfield/FMS 800 mm P-47...

To:[email protected]
Sep 5 at 9:23 AM
I was looking for one of these and an RCG member recommended that I contact you as you may have one. Sorry for the intrusion. If you have an FMS 800mm P-47 you want to unload, let me know. If the condition and price are right, I'll take it off your hands.

His reply:

Hello
Thanks for writing, apologies for the delay in response. I got a chance to check my e-mail. I have for sale a FMS 800 mm P-47 In very good shape. Willing to let go for some extra cash. I am asking a $75
(price shipped) .
I am in California and will ship via UPS. The asking price includes shipping and will take payment via PayPal gift payment .
What's your complete shipping address? Let me know if we have a deal .
Thanks,

Jake

Jake emailed me several pictures of his P-47 for sale which was actually a P-40.
Long story short, BEWARE!!!
Sep 19, 2019, 09:08 PM
Trader Rating: 24
I had a similar experience with a wanted add I posted a couple weeks ago for a Hangar 9 Pulse 125 canopy. Same story, contact his friend who he says has a canopy via email. Shows a picture of the correct airplane that was copied from another site. Wants payment via PayPal Friends & Family. I Immediately suspected a scam and did not make contact again.....
Sep 20, 2019, 01:23 AM
Trader Rating: 136
Just a Balsa Building CL flyer
Why not accept the offer, then send payment+FEES using Goods & Services? That seems like a fun way to mess with them. They can’t complain about using Goods & Services if you add in the fees, they obviously won’t send any product, and PayPal will refund your money. Maybe that would induce PayPal to put a stop to ALL these guys. Thoughts?
Sep 20, 2019, 02:25 AM
Trader Rating: 17

Worthless human beings

I posted a wanted ad for some LG in EDF jets 48 hours or so ago, got the same reply, about his friend at UPS has some for sale. I knew this was a scammer right off, and didn't reply. 1 thing i have noticed is that generally the scammer has just joined in the current month. Also noticed that this guys account was suspended. Its really too bad that the past couple generations have been brought up without morals or beliefs! Who's to blame, their parents(?), who were also probably "works of wonder". Karma will get these A-holes in the end. Always be buyer aware, and don't let the human trash get you down.

With the wind under my wings, I have no worries.

P.

Quick Reply